Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik brand still used?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Meyer Optik brand still used? Reply with quote

Looking "around", I saw this:

For what I understood, Meyer Optik became Pentacon in the sixties; in the various websites speaking of it, I did not find a 135 with this modern aspect. This objective seems much like a recent Pentacon.

My question is: is (or has been) Meyer Optik brand still used by someone after Pentacon birth? And: is such objective worth?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short last struggle before death. This lens (and few others, like the Meyer zoom, some wide angles and a 1,8/50) was published after the end of the GDR. They tried to get into business that way. Interesting for collectors.

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
Interesting for collectors.

Are they any good as users? Question

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, like the Pentacon lenses!

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that 135/2.8 was available as:

Pentacon 135/2.8 Auto M42
Pentacon 135/2.8 Electric M42
Prakticar Pentacon 135/2.8 PB
Prakticar Carl Zeiss Jena P 135/2.8 PB
Meyer Optik 135/2.8 PB (and possibly M42 as well)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, for this extra bit of history. I was able to track down Meyer-Görlitz up to 196X...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I sure like my M-O Oreston 50/1.8. It is superb ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, if this is post-GDR, that someone recognised the value of old brands swallowed up under the Pentacon name and started trying to revive them or sell the names on to Western companies.

When one company swallows another, it usually keeps the rights to all the old trade names for use at a later date if desired.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the Meyer name was last seen at the PMA show in 1994 on a Globica studio camera; both firms were based in Görlitz; afterwards, it basically vanished.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WikiPedia article on Pentacon says: "Production of cameras and lenses continues, but is now outsourced to South Korea." So who knows? We may see Meyer Optiks products again, from the Samyang lens foundry. Now if they just started making Orestons and Trioplans again...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
The WikiPedia article on Pentacon says: "Production of cameras and lenses continues, but is now outsourced to South Korea." So who knows? We may see Meyer Optiks products again, from the Samyang lens foundry. Now if they just started making Orestons and Trioplans again...

Guess the plastic Praktica p$s were meant....
Klaus