Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chipped Nikon T/T2-Mount Adapters? (Dandelion)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Chipped Nikon T/T2-Mount Adapters? (Dandelion) Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with the T / T2 mount adapters which have a Dandelion (Nikon) chip on them?

You can find the adapters for sale here:
Click here to see on Ebay
ebay auction wrote:

... and details about the Dandelion chip here:
http://filmprocess.ru/nikon_spec_en.htm

I'm considering purchasing one or two of these, as they would allow for metering on our D40. However, the price is a bit steep (US $49.05 with shipping), so an adapter would in fact cost more than most of my T2-mount lenses! Shocked Embarassed

Not that they aren't worth it, as they would add functionality to these lenses... but it is enough of an outlay that I'm looking for opinions first. Wink

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can glue the chip your self which save you $7. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

I had thought about that, but none of my T/T2 mounts have the little ledge that you would glue it to... Question

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I had thought about that, but none of my T/T2 mounts have the little ledge that you would glue it to... Question

Cut a small piece of rubber with similar shape as the chip and stick it to the adaptor by epoxy. Stick your chip in the rubber afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important part is secure fastening to prevent it coming loose & fouling mirror or shutter. I stopped using chips a long while ago, I did focus better by sight alone. Now I'm thinking of giving another try, but fasten the chip to the camera instead of adapter. Probably a waste of time though, I did reject using chips once already Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
The important part is secure fastening to prevent it coming loose & fouling mirror or shutter. I stopped using chips a long while ago, I did focus better by sight alone. Now I'm thinking of giving another try, but fasten the chip to the camera instead of adapter. Probably a waste of time though, I did reject using chips once already Laughing

Attach an Canon AF chip premently to low end camera body is a good idea if you only use MF lens with adaptor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Yes, that is a good point about the mounting.

It would definitely be tempting to attach a chip permanently, but we get a great deal of use out of the 18-55 kit lens. So unfortunately, that isn't an option. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Yes, that is a good point about the mounting.

It would definitely be tempting to attach a chip permanently, but we get a great deal of use out of the 18-55 kit lens. So unfortunately, that isn't an option. Wink

Nothing permanent! Wink

Inside Canon 5D the lens pins are on a small bracket held in place by fit and a single screw. I'm thinking I can bind the chip to the bracket with a simple wrap of tape.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying I should fix the Nikon D40's metering problem by buying a Canon 5D? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
So you're saying I should fix the Nikon D40's metering problem by buying a Canon 5D? Very Happy

Laughing that is an appealing option, also FF and shorter register. Very Happy

perhaps the D40 has similar facility for mounting chip on body? any method that holds the chip contacts against the pins, securely, doesn't interfere with MF lens mounting. Looks like there are nice big flat areas both ends of pins in D40, perhaps small squares of double-sided foam tape will hold chip to pins, maybe velcro tape(!) for easy on-off Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is enough space to mount a chip permanently and securely, but I don't think there is quite enough space to mount a chip non-permanently and securely. Neutral There is indeed space to either side, but the whole assembly is very close to the mirror bumper, and the springs in the contacts would always be trying to push it down...

I could be wrong though, it might work... but I would really prefer to be able to just swap the lenses on and off. Wink