Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: What's this? Reply with quote

Local shop had this~the owner did not know what it was-I am very curious if someone here could id this for me.

Sorry for the shaky image here.

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adapter to use a telelens as binoculars / telescope ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's this? Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Local shop had this~the owner did not know what it was-I am very curious if someone here could id this for me.

Looks like a night vision adapter. Cool

How much do they want for it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's this? Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Looks like a night vision adapter.

I have the same opinion.
That box on the side could be the battery holder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say night vision adapter too, especially after seeing "4X Triple A batteries" I suppose it could also be some sort of auto focus or auto aperture or auto zoom. Are there any electrical contacts or a control cable?

For using Minolta S lenses on FD or Novoflex camera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies.

Gertjan wrote:
Adapter to use a telelens as binoculars / telescope ?

That was my guess too at first. Very Happy

Scheimpflug wrote:
Looks like a night vision adapter. Very Happy

It makes a lot of sense now- the shopkeeper does not know how to price it yet,as he doesn't know what it is. He is a local consigner for ebay. Whats a fair price, for it in your opinion?

Himself wrote:
That box on the side could be the battery holder.

If you mean the box that doubles up as a tripod stand-yes thats the batttery box.

visualopsins wrote:
Are there any electrical contacts or a control cable?

No contacts-and the more I think of it it must be some night vision adapter-As I think now the lens was darkish blue with a faint yellowish spot in the middle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:
Looks like a night vision adapter. Very Happy

It makes a lot of sense now- the shopkeeper does not know how to price it yet,as he doesn't know what it is. He is a local consigner for ebay. Whats a fair price, for it in your opinion?

Honestly, not much. Wink

If you search for "night vision" on ebay, you will see some with pretty high prices, but most of the time these are the hunting type (precision rifle scopes) or possibly second-generation equipment. The first generation "observation" type equipment generally sells for much less.

Of the observation equipment, there are a few Russian variants that sell for good money, but 90% of the cost is because photographers want the fast lenses, and don't really care about the night vision part. Wink

This one doesn't have a lens, and doesn't have an eyepiece or known working camera configuration... so any potential buyer would have to figure out both halves, perhaps even requiring machining to adapt it to something "standard" or "usable". A bit risky for buyers...

It also loses a lot of value by being untested, and the odds of it working well will be quite low due to its storage. In fact, if the shopkeeper isn't careful, it could be permanently damaged just trying to test it! First generation night vision equipment is especially susceptible to damage from receiving too much light, and if this doesn't have a lens (or caps), then the chances are pretty good that it has been powered up in daylight at least once. Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very thoughtful insights Scheimpflug.