Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Shutter Release Cable with a Flat Tip?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Shutter Release Cable with a Flat Tip? Reply with quote

I picked up this shutter release cable along with some other items, but I have never seen one like it... Anyone have any clues as to what it was for? Question

(shown actual size Very Happy)

Here is the tip. Note that it also doesn't have threads to screw in to the camera....

The plunger end has the letters "A G C" on it, along with "Made In Germany".

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no threaded section for direct camera mounting because its probably one of these...

This is an old style Jessops mechanical remote, but it needs the bracket, which mounts to the camera, and the cable trigger then mounts to the bracket.

This doesnt have the flat piece you are talking about, but its a similar design apart from that. I had one some years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete.

The flat tip is the really odd part - it just doesn't seem right to trigger a camera, unless it had some sort of unique shutter release mechanism.... Question

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome mate Cool

yes that flat tip is a little odd, but it'll perform ok, just like the round tip in the one above. I never had any probs with it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, just wanting to say nice to see you here today Scheimpflug after hearing about the big earthshake in your part of the globe!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add -- the "AGC" with the shutter logo is a common one and stands for Alfred Gauthier Calmbach, a well-known shutter manufacturer:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Gauthier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Off topic, just wanting to say nice to see you here today Scheimpflug after hearing about the big earthshake in your part of the globe!

Thanks! That was really something, wasn't it? Reports put it at 7.1~7.4 on the Richter scale! Shocked

We live about 325 km (200 miles) away from the epicenter, and our place was definitely shaking. The doorframes were creaking, things on the walls were swinging... you could even hear the water in the toilet sloshing! Shocked It wasn't violent, but the amount of the displacement side-to-side was really impressive.

I hear that Christchurch was extremely lucky. Billions of dollars in damages, but no deaths. That's about the best you can hope for. Wink Many parts of the city apparently don't have water or electricity, there are buildings which have collapsed, ruptured gas lines, etc... It's going to be quite a bit of work to get it all cleaned up. Neutral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Just to add -- the "AGC" with the shutter logo is a common one and stands for Alfred Gauthier Calmbach, a well-known shutter manufacturer:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Gauthier

Thanks, Michael. That is definitely useful information, and gives me a new angle to search from. Cool I had tried figuring this out earlier, but searching for "AGC" along with any other camera terms just gives results about Automatic Gain Control. Confused But "Alfred Gauthier Calmbach" should give quite a bit more informative results. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Thanks! That was really something, wasn't it? Reports put it at 7.1~7.4 on the Richter scale! Shocked

We live about 325 km (200 miles) away from the epicenter, and our place was definitely shaking. The doorframes were creaking, things on the walls were swinging... you could even hear the water in the toilet sloshing! Shocked It wasn't violent, but the amount of the displacement side-to-side was really impressive.

I hear that Christchurch was extremely lucky. Billions of dollars in damages, but no deaths. That's about the best you can hope for. Wink Many parts of the city apparently don't have water or electricity, there are buildings which have collapsed, ruptured gas lines, etc... It's going to be quite a bit of work to get it all cleaned up. Neutral

Yes indeed that was a huge earthquake. Anytime there are surface ruptures is major; that is miles deep cracked crust! Shocked Concurrently a volcano blew in Indonesia. Shocked Most unfortunately 'no reports of deaths' is not the same as 'no deaths'; anytime buildings collapse with people inside is among the worst of news. Sad Sad Sad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Googled it and a hit came up for old fashioned plate cameras and the mention of an AGC shutter release cable but no photo.
Glad you are ok...not much fun the old earthquake Sad no matter how big or small.