Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AstroScope Night Vision Adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: AstroScope Night Vision Adapter Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used one of these, or anything similar?

I stumbled across this one at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/399153-REG/AstroScope_914658_Night_Vision_Adapter_9350_NIKS_3PRO.html

Basically, it's a 3rd gen night vision scope, but designed to use any lens on the front, and project its image into a camera body instead of using an eyepiece. They're $6500, special order, and can't be exported from the USA. Confused

Here's the specifications:
B&H wrote:
Intensifier Tube: 3rd Generation
Magnification: Unity, 1:1
Construction: Epoxy-coated aluminum
Power Source: Powered by camera
Dimensions: 2.3 x 4.0 x 12" (58 x 102 x 305mm)
Weight: 1.10 lb (495 g)

and the full description:
B&H wrote:
The AstroScope 9350-NIKS-3PRO Night Vision Adapter is compatible with Nikon's film and digital SLR cameras. The AstroScope provides your camera with the ability to produce high resolution full-frame images under adverse lighting conditions. The rugged and compact design makes it ideal for demanding applications. Fitted with a high-performance 3rd generation intensifier, the AstroScope significantly enhances your camera's low-light capabilities.

Your high definition camera can now take on a more valuable role in all your security concerns. The AstroScope's ability to capture images in low light that provide facial recognition and vehicle registration identification ensures your ability to execute wide area surveillance and long range detection. You can secure any perimeter, shut down border crossings, and render any 'line in the sand' impenetrable.

Note! Export of this device described herein is strictly prohibited without a valid export license issued by the U.S. Department of State office of Defense Trade Controls, as prescribed in the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR), Title 22, Code of Federal Regulation, Parts 120-130, and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce. For further information contact the Office of Defense Trade Control and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce.

• Powered by camera body
• Seamless integration between the host camera and CIU
• Retains auto-focus and vibration-reduction functionality
• Lightweight, non-reflective, black epoxy-coated aluminum housing

Mounting System
Attaches directly to the camera's lens mount Lens attaches directly to the AstroScope

3rd Generation Intensifier Tube
While 2nd generation night vision works well in most applications, 3rd generation night vision will out perform it in all situations. With a 3rd generation NVD, your image will be crisper and clearer with a decreased level of bright light blooming. These improvements substantially increase the recognition and detection range of the system.

More information from the manufacturer: http://www.electrophysics.com/Browse/Brw_ProductLineCategory.asp?CategoryId=27&Area=NV

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of such an accessory until now, and I'll say that I certainly
will NOT be spending over $6000 for such a gamble unless I happen to
win a lottery grand-prize. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean these high resolution samples aren't enough to convince you? Very Happy

I wonder if it covers a full frame? The photos from B&H have it on a D700 (which is full frame), but the photos from the manufacturer show it on an APS-C camera...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have that tool - but I dont need it realy Smile
Old russian First Generation night vision scopes are bad :-/

At the manufacturer one can ask to get it outside the USA too - I suppose for friendly countries only.
I worked in my previous job with FLIR infrared cameras. When we lend the cameras to others they have to agree not to take the camera outside Germany without written permission.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
I would like to have that tool - but I dont need it realy Smile
Old russian First Generation night vision scopes are bad :-/

At the manufacturer one can ask to get it outside the USA too - I suppose for friendly countries only.
I worked in my previous job with FLIR infrared cameras. When we lend the cameras to others they have to agree not to take the camera outside Germany without written permission.

They seem to be NIR viewers, not deep IR (heat) viewers according to the samples..

You could get several 5D IIs and have them converted to IR for less than 6500USD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but a 3rd gen image intensifier is a completely different animal than a standard IR sensor. Wink

I would love to have a FLIR camera. I have no idea what I would do with it - probably take pictures of anything and everything and annoy everyone around me by saying "Look! That spot there is warmer than the rest!" Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
They seem to be NIR viewers, not deep IR (heat) viewers according to the samples..

You could get several 5D IIs and have them converted to IR for less than 6500USD

Yes, but they intensify the radiation and convert them into visible - you use normal unmodified cameras behind.

I have worked with several thermal cameras - they are great. But even much more expensive - the prices are falling, but the demands get higher. 5 years ago 240x360 pixel are state of the art, but today that resolution one can get relativly cheap for - I think - 5.000 to 10.000 Euros.
In those days long ago I could take one of the IR or High-Speed Video cameras when I want to use it for my hobby too - but due to much stress on the job I did´t use this opportunity often - today I would like get my hands some hours on one of these FLIR or Highs-Speed camera beasts :-/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to spend a bunch of money to take green pictures. Yep, dream come true.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can mess with colour balance in PS to get a green like that, likealens. No need to spend your kids inheritance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kids. I'm buying it! oh yeah! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
You mean these high resolution samples aren't enough to convince you? Very Happy

Would you install a bomb to the airplane in total darkness? Smile