Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider Kreuznach Symmar 180mm f5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Schneider Kreuznach Symmar 180mm f5.6 Reply with quote

Just got this one yesterday night. Had been thinking for the whole night how to make it mount on my Pentacon M42 bellow. Finally I got it done with some Zenit tubes and lots of black tapes just now!

Here are the setup:

Test shots inside the house, all shot at f/5.6:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice versatile lens for a 5x7 format, good reputation for close-up work, convertible too - try removing the front cell, it becomes a 315mm

I wish I had one !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Nice versatile lens for a 5x7 format, good reputation for close-up work, convertible too - try removing the front cell, it becomes a 315mm

I wish I had one !

Hi ! Thanks for the tips, just came back from Botanical Garden. It is hot and sunny today. Photos up soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobuckets seems to screw the quality of the photos. Here is direct upload from memory card using mflenses upload.

Last edited by Krisgage on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Krisgage on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a shame wasting this powerfull lens on dslr ... but what a beautiful, really great shame, as you show on pictures ... congrats

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this lens is for large format cameras. Those photos uploaded using photobucket do not do justice to the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:
Photobuckets seems to screw the quality of the photos.

Yes, I don't recommend to use it. Flickr or Picasa give better quality with less loss of sharpness through recompression.

You have some nice samples there, btw. Smile
But if you use a LF lens you really should have tilt/shift bellows. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Krisgage wrote:
Photobuckets seems to screw the quality of the photos.

Yes, I don't recommend to use it. Flickr or Picasa give better quality with less loss of sharpness through recompression.

Photobucket will only recompress if it has to. There is a setting where you can change how images are resized when you upload them, and there are a number of options for different resolutions. You want to skip these resolution options, and select the option at the end: "1 Megabyte". If you use this option, and upload a picture that is under 1 MB in size, Photobucket won't change it a bit. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some promising shots there.

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
what a shame wasting this powerfull lens on dslr ... but what a beautiful, really great shame, as you show on pictures ... congrats

Probably, but better to use on a DSLR than not at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, ahamB and Scheimpflug ! Very Happy

Thanks martin, I really want to get it work on DSLR though it meant to work on better scale.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is sharp and when blown to 100%, details still can be seen. This is the 100% crop from the 1st photo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Photobucket will only recompress if it has to. There is a setting where you can change how images are resized when you upload them, and there are a number of options for different resolutions. You want to skip these resolution options, and select the option at the end: "1 Megabyte". If you use this option, and upload a picture that is under 1 MB in size, Photobucket won't change it a bit. Cool

Thanks, that works. They should really make it more clear though. Now those settings are hidden behind that link.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is another hot bright and sunny day. Decided to use this lens as telephoto kind.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sharp

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive!