Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev 17/19/20/19M with Nikon F lens mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Kiev 17/19/20/19M with Nikon F lens mount Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with the Kiev 17, 19, 20, or 19M? These are interesting cameras, as they are of Russian manufacture, but have a Nikon F lens mount. Cool

Wikipedia has this to say:
Wikipedia wrote:
  • The Kiev 17, desirable due to its Nikon mount and cloned budget Nikon E lenses. Derived from early Cosina SLR and Rollei SL35 designs. Full manual without meter.
  • The Kiev 19, which is partly restyled successor to the 17. Stop-down TTL-metering with red light-balance LEDs in Viewfinder. Top speed reduced from 1/1000th to 1/500th.
  • The Kiev 20, which adds aperture coupling and a self-timer to the 19 design. 1/1000th top speed.
  • The Kiev 19m, which uses a moulded polycarbonate body rather than the metal used in earlier models. Despite its model number, it succeeds the Kiev 20. Same top speed as the plain 19, though.
Wikipedia wrote:
The Kiev 17 and later 19/20-Line, available since around 1980, constituted the most westernized 35 mm SLRs available in the days of the Soviet Union.

The 19M is still available new, and for about the same price as a used Nikon body. I found one review of the 19M, which had this to say:
Quote:
So what does this camera offer for its price? Well, I personally had two of them, they both fully worked, except for the fact that one of them had an incorrect exposure meter. For my taste, it is a bit too boring. Others might appreciate its puristic approach. It absolutely contains everything a serious photographer needs, it is extremely cheap, it is rather well built, and you'll get into the versatile Nikon lens mount easily.

http://haardt.net/kiev19mreview.htm

Has anyone used one of these cameras? Question