Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help choosing travel zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Help choosing travel zoom Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
For the last year I've collected such a little nice MF lenses collection. Many thanks to every active member from mflenses.com for that Wink Like I believe everyone here I have my own lens wish list. And the next lens type in my wish list is travel zoom. I haven't used neither auto focus luxury zooms nor manual ones. My experience is limited with Sigma/Tamron/Canon cheap zooms. So my question is what are the best (or may be just great) zoom lens options from MF world? It is better to have at least 200mm on the long end. Yes, Jupiter is a great lens but not too handy when it comes to size and weight Smile What I have fond so far is Tamron 75-250mm f/3.8-4.5 adaptall-2 104A and Tamron SP Adaptall-2 70-210mm F/3.5 19AH. It loks like those are very nice. What are the opinions regarding 104A and 19AH here? Any other great zooms? Nikkors or may be Pentax? Many thanks for any useful info.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of traveling do you do?

I love the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 as a travel zoom, but it can be a bit heavy...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend the Tokina SD 70-210mm f/4-5.6
Very compact and very sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug well, some kinid of long-distance trips.
dsmlogger thanks for suggestion, I'll check that lens

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a Tamron Adaptall 2 80-210/3.8-4 103a or the newer 70-210/3.8-4. Both are cheap, sharp and lighter than the sp series lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to pick a manual focus zoom, it would probably be the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5 (first version with constant f/3.5 aperture and 1:2.2 macro). But in my opinion zooms are the one type of lens where new AF versions tend to be consistently better. (Some of the C/Y mount Zeiss zooms might be an exception when compared to AF zooms of similar price.)

How come the need for such a long zoom when travelling, by-the-way? I usually travel with just the Sigma 10-20mm (APS-C) or Konica-Minolta 17-35mm (full frame), and perhaps a ~50mm prime as a “long” lens. =)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is better to have at least 200mm on the long end

where will you go holliday, Cape Canaveral ?
a 50mm is enough for holiday
if you need wider, stitch and for longer, walk Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm is enough? Really?

I guess that just demonstrates how different people are. Wink I find the 70-210 indispensable when traveling. You can't walk closer when you are up against the fence in the zoo... or viewing a small town from a cliffside overlook... or photographing boats out in the lake.

Often times, even for "close" situations, I will switch to the 70-210 and walk further away, just to get a different perspective or to be able to photograph over people's heads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience Tamrons are nice in cheap ones really, especially 19AH.

If you need better one Carl Zeiss Contax is way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that I simply can't (or won't) get by with a single zoom for travel photography. For many years I've used two: the Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 and the Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4. That's enough of a focal range for just about any situation I've been in. If I know that I'll be doing a fair amount of architectural photography, then I'll also manage to find room for my Vivitar 17mm f/3.8, which is fairly compact.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
You can't walk closer when you are up against the fence in the zoo...

in my last visit in a zoo, I had no problem with a 35-70 on full frame
http://forum.mflenses.com/zoo-visit-t27513.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for answers.

ManualFocus-G Do you have any samples of 103A or newer 70-210?
Arkku Well yes may be. I haven't seen any shots from old MF zooms similar to for example Canon EF 70-200/2.8 L
poilu Well actually I do have a very nice 50mm and it is compact enough. But I want to get something like Jupiter-21's performance and 200mm
Attila How is 19AH compared to 104A (or may be 103A) ?
cooltouch Tamron SP 60-300 shots looks nice. But it is damn large Wink

Actually I like my Jupiter-21 but it is not so handy to carry. And that is why I was thinking about smaller long tele for hunt with zoom ability for all the closer situations.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Attila How is 19AH compared to 104A (or may be 103A) ?

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamron_sp_70_210_f3_5_19AH/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamron80-210_103A/

19AH simple better.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamron80-210/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/tamronsp_70_210mm/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I've seen those shots. And yes 19AH looks better. poilu awesome zoo shots!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:

cooltouch Tamron SP 60-300 shots looks nice. But it is damn large Wink

True enough, but it's no bigger, and perhaps even a little lighter, than the original Vivitar S1 70-210/3.5.

I've always been more concerned about image quality over convenience anyway, so I don't mind lugging around the extra weight. Especially when I've returned home from my trip. Any inconvenience I may have experienced becomes a rapidly fading memory, while the better quality images endure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Graham, the 103A is a super lens for travelling. Much lighter and easier to handle than both the 19AH and the 60-300 (634g v 860 & 870g) and only a fraction slower. Still solid metal and very good IQ. When I travel I generally couple it with the SP35-80 and take a 28mm prime and the kit lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two 19ah lenses, both had horrible ca and were heavy. There's loads of 103a and 46a samples on the forum, just do a quick search. You can pick them up very cheap and performance is superb. I have several copies if you want to buy one, I can never resist a cheap Tamron lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is hard to decide on travel , which equip to take there to get best quality but not risk high value equipments. I definitely not take zoom lens more to travel. I did it once and I never use it. One medium long prime for animal parks like 135 or 200mm is my choice and wide, wide Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing travel zoom Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
Any other great zooms? Nikkors or may be Pentax?

Nikon E series 75-150/3.5 is a sweet small lens. It doesn't go all the way to 200mm as you requested, but the image quality is quite good, it's small and usually quite cheap too. The only problem is that the push/pull zoom design gets loose over time, that can cause trouble if you need to point it up or down and can't hold it in place by hand.

For instance this image was shot with a 75-150 on a Nikon D200: http://hannu.mallat.fi/travel/toscana07/firenze/_dsc3544.html. It came out nicely as a 30x45cm print, probably would look good in 50x75cm too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I had this same dilemma recently and I actually found a very nice solution in an old AF lens with aperture control that I had laying around. Its a Pentax-F 80-200mm 4.7-5.6. Its plastic, fairly slow but very small and light.

The quality is very nice on my G1, with maybe the long end being slightly softer. At 80mm, its very sharp. And its easy to focus .

I believe Nikon also made an excellent, small and light 80-200 from the 90s that should cost under $100.

For me, it had to fit in my pack and also fairly inexpensive for safety reasons because I was traveling in Mexico.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 is a great "tele" zoom. It has Zeiss "punch", and really is as sharp as many primes from its focal range. The 80-200/4 is actually more contrasty than Canon L 70-200/4 (non-IS); the "L" is a bit sharper though (it's a newer design).

I had an AIS Nikkor 80-200/4, and, while a decent lens by old standards, it's nowhere as nice as the Contax. Considering the price difference (about $150) between the Nikkor and the Zeiss, I think the choice is obvious Smile

I also tried RMC Tokina 80-200/4, and it was slightly less contrasty and softer at the long end than the Nikkor. I paid $10 for mine though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4 is a great "tele" zoom. It has Zeiss "punch", and really is as sharp as many primes from its focal range. The 80-200/4 is actually more contrasty than Canon L 70-200/4 (non-IS); the "L" is a bit sharper though (it's a newer design).

Yeah I thought about this lens. As I can see it is not correct to directly compare 70-200 EF L with 80-200 Contax because 70-200 is Vario-Tessar when Contax is Vario-Sonnar. Anyway there are so many gems near 80-200 price range when Tamrons are very cheap and that is a factor too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two travel zooms are the Vario-Sonnar 35-70, and the YML 70-210. If I could take only one zoom, it'd be the 35-70, where I see others would choose a 70-210. The VS35-70 may have a short range, but it's a fabulous optic and it covers more than 80% of my photographic interests.