Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OM Olympus Mount Tokina 3.5/17 superwide rectilinear.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: OM Olympus Mount Tokina 3.5/17 superwide rectilinear. Reply with quote

I recently acquired this lens and, though I have been using it on my Olympus OM 2SP, I have as yet to finish off the 36 exposure film.

Tried to find something about it on the web, but without success. Sad

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of it (or a link I could use), please Smile ?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: OM Olympus Mount Tokina 3.5/17 superwide rectilinear. Reply with quote

Banjo wrote:

I did a Google search for "Tokina 17mm 3.5" and got a whole bunch of results... is this what yours looks like?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: OM Olympus Mount Tokina 3.5/17 superwide rectilinear. Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Banjo wrote:

I did a Google search for "Tokina 17mm 3.5" and got a whole bunch of results... is this what yours looks like?

OK, thanks.

Yes it does, except in OM mount.

OK, I'll give it another try. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: OM Olympus Mount Tokina 3.5/17 superwide rectilinear. Reply with quote

Banjo wrote:

OK, thanks.

Yes it does, except in OM mount.

OK, I'll give it another try. Rolling Eyes

No worries. Wink

One trick I have learned is to put the lens name into Google, but then switch it over to the image search. Then it becomes very easy to filter through the search results, as it is clear which results are for the right lens and which are for the wrong lens (newer versions, etc).

Do post back here what you find though, if you can. The chances are pretty good that someone else looking for the same info will end up back here! Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just purchased one of these in OM mount as well. I'm presuming it's similar to the Soligor 17/3.5 I have, which I believe is also made by Tokina.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've just purchased one of these in OM mount as well. I'm presuming it's similar to the Soligor 17/3.5 I have, which I believe is also made by Tokina.

Soligor 17 = Vivitar 17 = Asanuma 17 = hoya 17 = Tokina 17

Tokina was in the 1970/1980 the SINGLE 17mm manufacturer (the only competitor was the Sigma 18mm)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Tokina was in the 1970/1980 the SINGLE 17mm manufacturer (the only competitor was the Sigma 18mm)

The Tamron SP 17mm was sold from 79-80s too Wink [/pendant]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

You are right : I forgot the tamron SP 17mm for the 1980 period (before , the tokina 17 and Sigma 18 were the only solutions)

For info : the Tokina was the better of both (Tamron was vg and Tokina excellent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: It's ok Reply with quote

For the price these are usually pretty good lenses, I had one for a while. I think the Tamron 17 is likely better, as is the Oly 18.

-Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: FD mount version Reply with quote

I just received this Tokina 17mm f3.5 lens today in FD mount version. No shots yet, will try it this weekend. Feels very sturdy and I am cusious of the image results...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

You are right : I forgot the tamron SP 17mm for the 1980 period (before , the tokina 17 and Sigma 18 were the only solutions)

For info : the Tokina was the better of both (Tamron was vg and Tokina excellent

Thats not quite right. I have both, so I know the strengths and weaknesses of both.
The Tamron is far, far, better wide open than the Tokina. The Tokina borders on being virtually unusable wide open due to horrid CA and softness. The Tamron, on the other hand, is razor sharp wide open with no noticable CA.
Stopped down the Tokina gets much better but I still think the Tamron is sharper.
The biggest difference can be noticed in nightshots...The Tokina produces attractive, distinctive, 6 pointed stars around bright lights at night but the Tamron produces horrible looking, fuzzy, 10 pointed stars...This makes the Tokina much better for night work than the Tamron.
You also get a 67mm filter thread with the Tokina where the Tamron does'nt have one, unless, like me, you fit one to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

Thats not quite right. I have both, so I know the strengths and weaknesses of both.

My infos came from a comparative test of both Tokina sl17/3.5 and Tamron sp 3.5 and the tokina was on the mtf test FAR better

3 solutions :
    Your Tokina lens is not the ~1982-1983 sl/3.5 version
    Your Tokina lens is under the average Toki 17 quality
    The Tokina lens tested was over the average Toki 17 quality (or the tamron was under the average 17sp quality)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photozone.de has a review of this lens, on a crop-sensor Pentax K10:
http://www.photozone.de/pentax/142-tokina-rmc-17mm-f35-review--lab-test-report

I was searching for "RMC Tokina 17mm". The only other RMC Tokina lens I had - I believe RMC is a reference to the multicoating - was a decent 28mm f/2.8.

The results seem decent enough although it would be far more interesting to see how it performs in the corners on a full-frame camera. I was drawn to this thread because I actually won one of these in an eBay auction - for £80! - but the Royal Mail were unable to deliver it. It was in OM-mount. If not for the Royal Mail I would now chip in with some f/8 corner crops taken on a 5D.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

I assume you mean third party lenses....

Nikkor made the 18mm f4 in the K and AI versions from 74-82...which was replaced by the 18mm f3.5 AI-S in December of 81 and produced till December of 05.

Nikkor also produced even wider lenses with the 15mm f5.6 from 71-78 in the F,C,K and AI versions....which was replaced by the 15mm f3.5 AI in August of 78....and the extremely rare 13mm f5.6 in the K (35 copies produced)and AI (15 copies produced) versions from December of 75 to March of 82,when it was replaced by the rare AI-S version (302 copies produced).

The Nikkor fisheye 16mm 3.5 in the C,K, AI versions from 73-79....followed by the 16mm f2.8 from 79-82....this was replaced by the AI-S version in December of 81 and continued in production till 98 and is still produced in the AF version.

The Nikkor fisheye 10mm f5.6 F was produced from 68-76

Nikkor produced even wider fisheye lenses beginning in 62 till 65 with the 8mm f8 F ...this was followed by the 8mm f7.5 F from 66-70...this was replaced by the 8mm f2.8 from 70-82.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

I assume you mean third party lenses....

OF COURSE !