Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is the Panasonic 8/3.5 worth 2x that of the Samyang 8/3.5?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Is the Panasonic 8/3.5 worth 2x that of the Samyang 8/3.5? Reply with quote

Or for that matter the;
- Opteka 8mm f/3.5
- Samyang 8mm f/3.5
- Falcon 8mm f/3.5
- Rokinon 8mm f/3.5
- Bower 8mm f/3.5

All names for the same lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is worth it. The Panasonic is substantially lighter (165g vs 400g), smaller (61x52 mm vs 75x74.8 mm), can take filters (rear), and focuses closer (0.1m vs 0.3m).

Focus is a toss-up. The Panasonic can auto-focus, but it's manual focus is focus-by-wire. The Samyang is manual focus only, but a genuine mechanical manual focus.

If I had a micro 4/3 camera, I would definitely consider the 8/3.5 fisheye. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Olympus have a fisheye coming too according to their lens roadmap?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, but seems like the Panny's are going high end and the Olys are shooting for the low-cost consumer market. Why I ask is that the lens is out and you can pre-order them now. It seems a lot at US$790 whereas the Samyang is around $300.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the vast majority of people, a fisheye lens is a novelty and occasional use lens. With that in mind, I would just get the Samyang 8mm. It is known to be good optically, it is cheaper, and we all know that you don't need AF (especially with a fisheye).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O and it looks like the Samyang does not cover 180 degree on m4/3?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
For the vast majority of people, a fisheye lens is a novelty and occasional use lens.

The usage of fisheye lenses has changed considerably in the past 5 years or so due to the availability of processing software. No longer is a fisheye just a novelty lens - now they are frequently used for all kinds of applications.

For example, real estate photographers are really getting into them, as they can take 2 or 3 shots and stitch a full spherical panorama to give a "virtual tour" of a location. Wink