Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some shots with the Polaroid X530 Foveon X3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Some shots with the Polaroid X530 Foveon X3 Reply with quote

Even with a low pixel count, (1,5 Mpix x 3 layers) the quality is impressive.
A pity this camera cannot focus manually.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures, Jes!
I have always wanted such an X530, really.
Need to hunt one down, I guess. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I got mine really cheap, from "old stock". Brand new in box. Smile
Now that I'm back in business, after a long winter with plenty of work, I'm picking back the old projects... Wink
News soon.

Kind regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Some shots with the Polaroid X530 Foveon X3 Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Double check the menus and/or the owners manual - My x530 has a manual focus mode. Cool

Be warned though... "slow" does not even begin to describe it. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Some shots with the Polaroid X530 Foveon X3 Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Double check the menus and/or the owners manual - My x530 has a manual focus mode. Cool

Be warned though... "slow" does not even begin to describe it. Shocked

Thanks for the clue!. Got it Wink

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I got mine really cheap, from "old stock". Brand new in box. Smile
Now that I'm back in business, after a long winter with plenty of work, I'm picking back the old projects... Wink
News soon.

Kind regards,
Jes.

I haven't seen those in years, really.
The last time I saw one on ebay was about 1 1/2 years ago and they wanted more than €400,- for it!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x530 pricing/availability has always fluctuated...

After they were recalled, the ones that were still available became quite cheap since the camera didn't really stand out among the name brands, and couldn't be sold in retail stores. They stayed cheap until the Sigma DP1 was announced, at which point everyone became interested in Foveon compacts and bought 'em all up. The reasonably priced overstock ones disappeared, and the ebay ones skyrocketed in price.

Then, the DP1 started shipping, and there was a wave of people selling off their x530's... and they were again plentiful and inexpensive...

... and now they are pretty much forgotten. Wink They might show up on ebay every once in a while, but any of the "suppliers" or places with more than one for sale are pretty much gone. With no supply, the people who want one really want one (collectors, etc), so sellers are free to ask whatever price they want.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a x530 the other day for a good price. Yippieeh!
Now, I am waiting for delivery...

Say, is it true that it is much better with violet than the Bayer sensors?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Say, is it true that it is much better with violet than the Bayer sensors?

The Foveon colors are just... "different". More so than for Bayer images, the Foveon's images are much more dependent on the software processing applied to them. So you will find that your images (and the colors they contain) will change, perhaps significantly, just by using different software (or different versions of the same software) to process them.

What the Foveon undoubtedly does very well at, however, is resolve fine details within a single color. So for example, the violet case you described is probably the weakest part of the Bayer's rendering, being based heavily on the red and blue channels which have fewer photosites than the green channel. Provided the red channel doesn't clip (one of the Foveon's weak points), you will probably find that the Foveon can show more "texture" for a violet area than an otherwise equivalent Bayer sensor. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you answer!
The x530 arrived today - in mint condition.
I really like it's shape. It will be fun to compare Foveon to CCD to CMOS. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Thanks for you answer!
The x530 arrived today - in mint condition.
I really like it's shape. It will be fun to compare Foveon to CCD to CMOS. Wink

It's a nice cam!.
Mine has a dust spot on the sensor, so one of these days I'll have to open it to clean it up. Sad

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I also can compare cams of a similar class but with different sensor technology as well:

Foveon: Polaroid x530
CCD: Nikon 950 / Olympus C3030
SuperCCD: Fuji 4800z

Last edited by LucisPictor on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew about this camera!

I both love and hate my Foveon..... I must be a masochist as i have 3 of them, but i can see a bayer in my future.

Life is nothing without a struggle!!

I hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoy mine, and when the time comes i hope you hate it less than i hate mine Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, surprised with the superb quality! I don't thinks this camera is just 1.5 mxp Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longmilan84 wrote:
Very cool, surprised with the superb quality! I don't thinks this camera is just 1.5 mxp Smile

Well, it's 1.5 Mpix x 3 layers, in fact it could be considered 4,5Mpix... And commercially was sold as such. But the truth is it's 1.5.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the first shots, I would say that is way better than a regular 1.5 MPix CCD but shows lower resolution than a 4.5 MPix CCD.
It is pretty close to the 2 MPix of my Nikon 950 and the 3.3 MPix of my Olympus C3030.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Based on the first shots, I would say that is way better than a regular 1.5 MPix CCD but shows lower resolution than a 4.5 MPix CCD.
It is pretty close to the 2 MPix of my Nikon 950 and the 3.3 MPix of my Olympus C3030.

Right.
You have to use PS to increase the picture size by interpolating, and then compare both...

Regards.

Jes.