Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Four 50s compared.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Four 50s compared. Reply with quote

Here is a comparison of four 50s I took this morning. All were shot @ f2.8 on my Panasonic G1 in RAW, converted to jpeg & downsized with no other processing. Camera to subject distance was 5'(1.5M).

1. Minolta 50/1.4

2. Sears 50/2.0

3. Takumar 55/1.8

4. Minolta 55/1.7

Anybody care to comment?

I have two more 50s coming, a Minolta Celtic 50/3.5 Macro & a Helios 44-2 58/2. I was expecting the macro this week but I expect another two weeks for the Helios.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tak 1.8 the winner so far, in my view ...

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, the Sears 50/2.0 is most detailed and has the best colors and bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this test is basicly a bokeh-test (and contrast/colours/distortions, but they can be post processed), therefor I refuce to comment as bokeh quality is in part subjective Wink

Ok, I'll comment: the Sears bokeh is the worst Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro wrote:
I think, the Sears 50/2.0 is most detailed and has the best colors and bokeh.

Really? A hideous bokeh in my opinion Smile

When it comes to details, I am not able to say anything as the images are so much downsized that even a holga-image would look sharp and detailed...

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Tak 1.8 the winner so far, in my view ...

I may be wrong, but to my eyes it seems like the Tak has some axial CA. Hard to say from this small image.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know what CA means; I was going by the raindrops, which seem sharper to me across the frame. I'd say the minolta 1.4 is next ...

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takumar 55/1.8 is the clear winner to my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a 4-bay UHF antenna? You're either in a fringe area, or really trying to get some distance! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
I don't even know what CA means; I was going by the raindrops, which seem sharper to me across the frame. I'd say the minolta 1.4 is next ...

Chromatic Aberrations.

If there are differences in resolution, it's because of differences in focus points and such. All half decent 50mm lenses give absolute sharpness corner-to-corner on the camera used when the images are resized into such small size.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Sears is the poorest performer but I find little difference in the other three. That said, I prefer the Minolta 50/1.4 out of them all. Here is a shot with the Minolta 50/1.4 wide open that I took this morning. I focused on the yellow flower lower left.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Is that a 4-bay UHF antenna? You're either in a fringe area, or really trying to get some distance! Very Happy

A 4-bay HDTV antenna for both VHF & UHF.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand CA. And I see what you're taking about, but could it not be one side of the antenna is slanted sufficiently away from the other to drop out of DOF?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Bokeh appreciation Reply with quote

Yes: its very subjective but I'm looking for my first MF this week and this test opens my eyes to some additional possibilities. The Takumar was top of my list but I do quite like the Minolta and it looks like it could be pretty effective on more colourful subjects in the backround.

Thanks for posting..

Offers from UK welcome:

BTW: I gave up aerials and short-wave listening 45 years ago!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
I agree the Sears is the poorest performer but I find little difference in the other three. That said, I prefer the Minolta 50/1.4 out of them all. Here is a shot with the Minolta 50/1.4 wide open that I took this morning. I focused on the yellow flower lower left.

Very nice shot!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta 50mm f/1.4 looks best to me in the test.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

+1
the boqueh of Sears is very distracting, and Takumar has the typical CA.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Minolta 50 f/1.4 was that? I have the MC-Rokkor-PG.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
revers wrote:

Very nice shot!

Excellent shot. Great glass.

Off topic:
YES, ITS IRRITATING!
But sometimes, only sometimes, funky colors are good..

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Which Minolta 50 f/1.4 was that? I have the MC-Rokkor-PG.

This one:

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bokeh. I also expect Tak 1.8 should have better but it looks slightly out of focus. Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
Lovely bokeh. I also expect Tak 1.8 should have better but it looks slightly out of focus. Mike

I assure you they were all very accurately focused on the exact same spot using the expanded view with the lens wide open & then stopped down.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta 50mm f1.4 seems the bese to my eyes too.

I reget I sold it...

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:

I assure you they were all very accurately focused on the exact same spot using the expanded view with the lens wide open & then stopped down.

There can be focus shift when stopping down.