Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Planar 50/1.4 MM, sell or convert to Pentax?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Planar 50/1.4 MM, sell or convert to Pentax? Reply with quote

I just bought a Planar 50/1.4 MM at what seems like an exceptionally good price, and am now faced with the eternal dilemma: should I buy a Leitax conversion kit to fit it on my Pentax, or sell it to make a small profit which will go to the 5D fund?

I don't know much about this lens, so can those of you who have it tell me what I should expect from it, compared to the Nikkor SC 50/1.4, Mamiya/Tomioka 55/1.4, Super Takumar 50/1.4, or even slower lenses like the Pancolar, SMC Takumar 55/1.8, etc?

And what would be a honest price, both for me as a seller and for the buyer, if I decide to put it for sale here to fellow members? The lens has a minor scratch to the black paint on the exterior of the filter thread, some minor dust between the elements, but is otherwise in excellent shape and has the original box and caps.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to fund the 5D and don't want to use it on that camera you could sell it and make some profit.... But..You could use it in your future 5D too...Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the Leitax conversion a couple of times with the 50mm 1.7 and it's quite straightforward. The investment is not too much, the conversion is reversible, and even you can sell it afterwards for more (because the scarcity of K mounted Planars).

So my advice is: take the conversion, enjoy it now and when you have to fund the 5D sell it with some profit.

This is a sample taken with the Planar 50mm 1.7 leitax converted on my *istDS:

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazzaros wrote:
If you need to fund the 5D and don't want to use it on that camera you could sell it and make some profit.... But..You could use it in your future 5D too...Smile

Yes, that's the problem... Smile

Jesito wrote:
So my advice is: take the conversion, enjoy it now and when you have to fund the 5D sell it with some profit.

It makes sense: if I get to the point where the Planar value is what I'm missing from the cost of a 5D, then I'll sell. In the meantime, I might as well enjoy it, yes. The portrait you posted is absolutely gorgeous. I would like to see less flowers and more portraits posted here, but even if there were more posted yours would still be one of the best. BTW, did you fix the EXIF info yourself? It shows the correct focal length and aperture.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Lazzaros wrote:

Yes, that's the problem... Smile

Jesito wrote:

It makes sense: if I get to the point where the Planar value is what I'm missing from the cost of a 5D, then I'll sell. In the meantime, I might as well enjoy it, yes. The portrait you posted is absolutely gorgeous. I would like to see less flowers and more portraits posted here, but even if there were more posted yours would still be one of the best. BTW, did you fix the EXIF info yourself? It shows the correct focal length and aperture.

Oops!... If I have to be honest, I cannot recall how the EXIF data was set. The picture was taken during a portraiture course one year ago or so, it could well be that this one was not finally taken with the Planar...

I was trying different programmable adapters at that time, but I also tried some other lenses during the course.

So far I believed the shot was taken with the Planar, but now you have made me fall in deep doubt...

Anyway, the thoughts are the same to me. And no doubt the Planar will give you better pictures than this one... Wink

Kind regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planar is an incredible lens, my favourite standard lens by quite some way. I just love the colours and "pop" that you don't often get from other lenses. I'd keep it, and keep it as C/Y. When you get your 5D, you will just LOVE this lens Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The Planar is an incredible lens, my favourite standard lens by quite some way. I just love the colours and "pop" that you don't often get from other lenses. I'd keep it, and keep it as C/Y. When you get your 5D, you will just LOVE this lens Smile

And now I can't wait to try it. Smile

As for the Leitax conversion, it's fully reversible so there won't be any problems putting the original mount back once I have a camera that can mount cy lenses.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt sell this lens now, Its worth more than (I think)300eur you would get for it. Wait, use it on 5d later, or wait till it gets 500eur+ and sell it on bay. I have a crop now, but I tested this lens on FF, it just shines on big sensor.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egidio wrote:
I wouldnt sell this lens now, Its worth more than (I think)300eur you would get for it. Wait, use it on 5d later, or wait till it gets 500eur+ and sell it on bay. I have a crop now, but I tested this lens on FF, it just shines on big sensor.

Worth more than *what*??? I paid it 90€, complete with the original box and a 2-yr warranty on mechanical parts. Guess it was a real bargain then.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
egidio wrote:

Worth more than *what*??? I paid it 90€, complete with the original box and a 2-yr warranty on mechanical parts. Guess it was a real bargain then.

For sure!. That price is a real bargain.
So don't hesitate and go for the Leitax kit. In any case, if you revert the change in the future, you can also sell the leitax adapter...
I see a lot of excitement and no risks Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is: you can get this lens brand new in Nikon Ai-S, Canon EF (manual focus only), Pentax KA, and two forms of M42 mount. A bit costlier, but made with the same machines: the tools at Tomioka were transferred to Cosina's works after Kyocera threw in the towel, and Zeiss did not see any point in making them in C/Y mount anyway, so they decided to make it in other mounts.

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/cz/zf-50/index.html

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele, I knew of its existence, but I did not know the current lens was identical. "A bit costlier" though is an understatement, as the new lens is listed at more than 550£, which translates to about 700€. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludoo - if you want to sell the planar, do let me know

The moron I paid sent me a broken lens and shut down his account on ebay :/

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another prospective buyer Smile If you decide to sell, I'll be next in line!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the lens though.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of interest for Zeiss lenses. Smile

I picked it up this morning and it's mechanically perfect, even the scratches on the black paint around the filter thread were greatly exaggerated in the pictures, and are almost invisible.

Optically it's in fair condition: a few dust specks inside, a few very faint cleaning marks visible only from the back pointing against a strong light, and a minuscule trace along the edge of the front element of what could be just dirt/grease or the beginning of fungus. It's so tiny that I had to show the store people how to see it, and it took them a couple of tries before they noticed it. I will monitor it, worst thing -- if it's fungus and I notice it growing, which seems unlikely -- I will have the front element cleaned.

It's funny though how they treat lenses such as this one: the store caters to collectors of very expensive gear (Leica, Contax, high-end Nikon stuff, etc.), and for them a lens which is not absolutely mint is worth very little. They even told me that cleaning a lens such as this, in case it develops the beginning of fungus, is not worth it: according to them, even when cleaned its value would still be substantially lower than a mint example, and the 50 (more like 15 but I did not argue the point) euros of the cleaning job are wasted. On ebay, a lens like this without major faults and in perfect usable condition would be a really good find and fetch a substantially higher price... I am more and more convinced that the real bargains are of "user" condition gear from excellent stores, much better value and less risk than buying from ebay.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
Ludoo - if you want to sell the planar, do let me know

The moron I paid sent me a broken lens and shut down his account on ebay :/

Just curious - broken in what way?