Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New guy here with a question.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: New guy here with a question. Reply with quote

After some problems registering I am finally able to post - I think. Smile

I found this forum while researching info on some lenses & have visited a few times before deciding to join.

Yesterday I was the successful bidder on eBay for a Helios 44-2 58/2 lens with "original filter". I have been unable to determine what that filter is actually. I expect someone on this forum will be able to tell me. Hopefully!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link here Ebay auctions.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
Posting images make things easier to judge.
Have fun. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they meant lens cap? Welcome, either way!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of this before. There are some Helios branded filters about, but I think they are newer and probably Japanese.

Hello by the way! Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello revers!
Finally another canadian.
I was getting tired of germans and flying dutch registering every day Twisted Evil

Where north revers?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a filter for sure. You can see it in the Ad @ this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HELIOS-44-2-2-58mm-SLR-M42-LENS-ZENIT-80232917-/280502594930?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item414f41ed72

Himself, I am only 60km north of TO & outside the GTA by about 5 km.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a desk drawer full of rogue filters from ebay lens. Filters good for film, I shoot my Helios on digital and create filter effects in post

Oh, welcome to the forum, and your Helios is a nice lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. +1 on the Helios. If there's one alt lens that every photographer should have in their bag, it's the Helios (AKA: Greatest Kit Lens Ever)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum revers. You will find out soon enough there are plenty of Helios fans on the forum. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome folks.

I guess nobody knows what filter came with the 1980 Helios 58mm.

I will start a new thread with a comparison of four of my 50s I shot this morning.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"original filter" probably means that this filter has been on this lens since the first day, therefore lens outer glass should be like new. Its probably uv filter

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the corner of the filter visible in one photo, it looks like a yellow filter with filter factor 1.4×. Such filters are commonly used in black and white photography to enhance sky contrast, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I have a desk drawer full of rogue filters from ebay lens. Filters good for film, I shoot my Helios on digital and create filter effects in post

Any chance you are interested in emptying that drawer? I've been looking for a batch of "random" filters to experiment with. Wink