Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

General info about film SLR cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: General info about film SLR cameras Reply with quote

I have a few questions for my curiosity about film SLR cameras, and perhaps someone can answer or provide links to website specifically discussed these issues:

1. I heard the only film SLR camera made today are Nikon FM10 (made by Cosina), and Nikon F6:
(a) Is it a rumour that Nikon recently ceased production of their Nikon F6?
(b) Does Canon still make the Rebel Ti?
(c) Any Russian/Ukranian companies which is making SLR film camera (like Zenit)?
(d) Any chinese companies which is still making SLR film camera?

2. Fully mechanical SLR cameras:
(a) Which SLR film cameras are fully mechanical, i.e can work without a battery? I heard the Pentax K1000 is fully mechanical.
(b) When did camera companies start to use battery to make the camera to work?
(c) Sometimes, the lightmeter is using a battery. which camera which has a battery power lightmeter, but still function and shoot film without the battery?
(d) Is there SLR film cameras which has light meter, but does not require a battery?
(e) is Selenium photocell in camera's lightmeter can run without battery? What about CdS meter?
(f) In fully mechanical SLR cameras, do the cameras need battery for synchronization of shutter speed and aperture (except the ones in the flash) when using a battery powered flash attached to the hot shoe?

Thanks for info and discussion (as well as any suggested link to read)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K1000 does have a battery, but it is only for the light meter. I suppose you could shoot without it if you had to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35MM Besides Nikon.
Vivitar v3800n Maker?
Voightlander Bessa.
Zeis Ikon.
Leca R9
Contax NX
Canon Rebel T2 (some still available new) Not sure of current production.
I'm sure there is more out there, that's the ones I know offhand.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm too many questions, but I have two fully mechanical cameras:-

Pentax S3...35mm
RB67 pro... medium format

I wouldn't bother using a 35mm slr without a built in meter, too much hassle using a seperate meter....been there done it when I got my S3 new in the 60's and ain't going back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two topics here, I wonder what today's situation is?

http://forum.mflenses.com/what-film-slrs-still-produced-october-2009-t20870,highlight,film+slr+produced.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/what-medium-format-film-cameras-still-manufactured-t21863,highlight,slr+film.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully mechanical cameras:
-Canon FT-b (similar and earlier models), battery only needed to operate the meter (when available).
Partially mechanical:
-Canon EF, slow speeds electric (30" to 1/2") and high speed (1/2" - 1/1000") mechanical and not needing battery.
-Canon old F1 should be like EF , albeit the shutter is totally different.
-Canon New F-1 only 1/90 without battery.

Regarding Canon the first model with TTL meter was the Pellix in 1965, AFAIK.

Fully mechanical cameras don't need batteries for flash sync (apart the ones that are powering the flash itself, that is).

Best, M.-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

I wouldn't bother using a 35mm slr without a built in meter, too much hassle using a seperate meter....been there done it when I got my S3 new in the 60's and ain't going back.

I have same opinion so many stunning camera available with excellent metering why need fullly mechanical one ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have same opinion so many stunning camera available with excellent metering why need fullly mechanical one ?

Taking pictures out aircraft windows during takeoff/landing is one example - no electronic devices are permitted to be used.

Use in RF-sensitive areas (testing environments, around sensitive antennas, etc) would be another.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Attila wrote:

Taking pictures out aircraft windows during takeoff/landing is one example - no electronic devices are permitted to be used.

Use in RF-sensitive areas (testing environments, around sensitive antennas, etc) would be another.

All oil and chemichal plants and ships too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Attila wrote:

Is that so? That's one up for film and a good argument against the digital guys, they all might now sell their DSLRs and get film cameras Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansalliskala
Thanks for the link, and it was very informative. I did not realize that Vivitar and Braun still make SLR cameras (particularly Braun).

Vivitar is bought by Sakar. The Vivitar website indicated that the SLR cameras are sold at Walmart. I never see one in any Walmart's Canada though.

There is not much info about the Braun's SLR. It is likely that it is made in China? my old Braun' camera flash was made in China, and this was over 30 years ago. They must have factories in China. I wonder if they are all made by the same company, like Phenix, or Sakar.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashica FX3 is fully mechanical (there's no sensible distinction to be made between a camera with or without a meter in this regard). I've never had any difficulty using a camera without a built-in meter, even today, but perhaps that's because I grew up with a Praktica Nova and some of its meterless contemporaries, and learned to estimate exposure before finally succumbing to one of those newfangled Weston Master V's. Incidentally, I still have the Weston V and I still use it. I learned more about exposure with it than with any number of TTL cameras.