Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FED-2 samples; joy and disappointment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: FED-2 samples; joy and disappointment Reply with quote

Bw400cn; best scans Walgreens ever did for me.

Disappointment (J-8; oh, this could have been a wonderful shot)

Joy (J-8 ):

Disappointment (I-50):

Joy (J-8 ):

Disappointment (I-50):

Unfettered joy (I-50):

Last edited by fish4570 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Joy pics are great, as is the first disappointment one. What do you think is going on?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just examined the negs. The boat neg and another one two frames down have creased holes in them. i figure the lab guy or his machinery made those. The shovel neg has a sharp crease folded across it. I figure that was made by the lab guy or the machinery. That still leaves five negs with light streaks on them. The streaks start from the bottom of the horizontal image on the negatives. Is that also the "bottom" in the camera? I cannot remember if the image is projected upside down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom of the photo is the top inside the camera.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it might all be to do with processing, if he pulled a half-processed neg out to unjam the machine. You need to put another test film through to give the camera a fair chance to show what it can do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slight leak between the shutter curtain edges as I wind through. As the edges cross the frame, they slowly overlap completely and the leak disappears as it gets closer to the far frame-opening edge. Looks like adjustment is needed, and I am getting instructions at rangefinderforum.com. Man, that rig made some good shots otherwise ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the shot with the two little boats, the open lens was facing the sunrise as I wound the shutter for the next shot. This would explain, I think, how the whole frame got fogged ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those lenses are from the "shoot with the sun behind you" days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul
Sorry mate my opinion is still FSU LTM bodies = Canon Fodder Sad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only reason I got one is for that fsu contest at rangefinderforum.com.

No, no, the fog on that shot came from the leak, not flare from the lens. That I-50 does well in the sun anyway, AND it has this wonderful little hood made from an Ilford film can ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Well, the only reason I got one is for that fsu contest at rangefinderforum.com.

Could we arrange same type of contest here too? The "disposable" contest doesn't seem to go anywhere. Same 24 hours rule but one must use just one 50-58 soviet lens on some standard color 24 frames film?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joy pics look great. I really must put another roll through mine.

Have you inspected the shutter curtains? I keep the lens cap on mine unless I'm about to pull the trigger as those curtain tend to fry in the sun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, these curtains look brand new. The leak, I have discovered with help from a UK fsu expert, is that the spacing between the top of the shutter lats and the light shield is too much. This can be seen in my dark bathroom with my tactical torch snug agasinst the lens mount. The camera is going back to yuri/fedka this morning. He offered a replacement, but also said he can have is repaired and back to me in a week or less. It is such a beautiful example, that is what I am going to do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these images important to you, other than in the context of testing out your new camera?

The reason I ask is that you could minimize the flaws with some post-processing if the images were important...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not that important, pflug. But thanks.

And kan: your contest idea is a good one. It seems almost everyone here has an fsu normal lens. How about one division for film and one for digital?

The rangefinderforum contest goes May 1-31, is film only, for fsu lens and body, with one entry ior each of three categories: agriculture, industrial and military, seeing as how May 1 was the old soviet workers holiday.

Do you want to take the lead?