Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Siblings, Super Takumar 85mm/f1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Siblings, Super Takumar 85mm/f1.9 Reply with quote

A friend of mine had seen my flickr and asked me if I could take some shots of her kids. She hadnt gotten any in a few years and she wanted something she could get printed. So off we went for a siblingshoot. First time I have done it myself. It's quite hard in such a situation to get any "soul" in the photos I think. It's quite artificial for two kids that don't know you to act natural.

I would appreciate some feedback, both of pictures and if the motifs and pictures are what a parent would look for in their kids portraits. I tried not to be too conventional.

All shots done with the 85mm.

I know the sun is a bit too harsh in some. These are few, but I got some more that I havent edited yet or anything. So there will be more. And the edits are really just samples, and quick adjustments. I will ofcourse do it properly when she have selected what to print. But this shows roughly how I shot the whole time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think they're superb, sharp and DEFINATELY with soul! Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots. I wonder why you chose the tones that you did?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in the other thread where you posted these, #2 has something special for me, because it makes me remember of how it felt at that age, to spend long afternoon with friends, when life was so simple.
I think that the fact that the faces are not visible, helps the poetry, because you can put any face in your mind, maybe yours of your memories.

But of course your friend would be more interested in the pics where you can see the faces, and I think that they're all good.

I really like the B&W tones and I really like the colours in the colour pic. Did you use film or..?

So overall great work I would say.

One final note about the lens, I always loved this lens' images. I never managed to get one for a right price. One day I'll do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

One final note about the lens, I always loved this lens' images. I never managed to get one for a right price. One day I'll do.

By the way, I wonder how is it that this "gokevincameras" has bought them all and now reselling them at triple their then-normal price...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two are superb from every aspects, I like last one too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice set! cool!

my FAV number two!

tf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set, 4 and 5 are faves, love the light/compositions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots! I like composition of this photos
This lens has got great bokeh!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a very nice job, for me #2 is the best.

Orio wrote:

By the way, I wonder how is it that this "gokevincameras" has bought them all and now reselling them at triple their then-normal price...

Indeed, and the same for other lenses and some well known bay-pro sellers Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:
You did a very nice job, for me #2 is the best.

Have to agree with Carlsson here.
But all of them are great.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2, 4 and last are really nice. That also covers boy/girl and together. Maybe you shout try to get a line, so the PP are the same style.

Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool shots, well done.

3rd and last shot are perfect for me ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots. Makes me wonder if the premium for the 1.8/85 is really worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
Great shots. Makes me wonder if the premium for the 1.8/85 is really worth it.

Well, I have both and I'm planning to do a shoot-out soon. But with some PP, my impression is that you can make the output nearly identical. The SMC 85/1.8 appears sharper wide open though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, nice set. You manage to capture not only the photos but also the "moment".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your friend would be happy to print these. They capture a lot about the kids' personalities and interaction.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots! #2 is definitely my fav.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2,3,4 and 6 are my favs but all of these photos have a character, very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your pictures so much. Good job.
One more lens in my must have list Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems like I am right on track. Presented a bunch of images to her yesterday and she ordered 13 15x15, 2 50x40 and 2 24x30. And she would come back for more 50x40 to her parents later on.

Smile

Thanks for all comments. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations Daniel!