Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7r, gamechanger, to be announced Wed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I forgot to count L39 Smile thanks now it is clear!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forensail your flicker and other postings of a7 results are awesome. ive reviewed a lot of a7 and a7r pix and i am fast coming to the surprising (to me) conclusion that the look of the a7 is noticeably superior to its more expensive, higher mp'd, non AA'd brother. anyone else feel similarly?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi y'all.

I got my A7R and am loving it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawhead/tags/a7r/

Just to contribute: there's no issue with the protruding lens of the Jupiter-12. However, on the A7R, even that lens has magenta tinted edges. It's apparently the symmetric design not really the shortness of the FL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Noctilux Shocked

I turned of simulation in EVF. I shot mostly on A and M, and the simulation made things almost black sometimes.
My EVF is almost as a nightvision in the dark now and it's easy to focus manual Very Happy

This EVF is impressive, much better than the one on EM-5 Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

I'm absolutely stunned by it Shocked I can definitely work with this EVF!

The camera feels superbly made and is wonderful in the hand Smile

Anyway, first lens is on:

IMG_6400.jpg by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Wide open with contrast adjustment:

DSC00023.jpg by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

I got my A7 today. I never had camera with EVF before, but I really like it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who shoot JPEGs, you can use the Clear Image Zoom function to zoom from 1.1x to 2x even on manual lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am in love with my camera Embarassed

I can't go anywhere now without my Alpha Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I think I am in love with my camera Embarassed

I can't go anywhere now without my Alpha Laughing

Yes, I can sense it from here...
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJc83wV6iA#t=1030

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any infos about when we will be able to use Raw files? (in Camera Raw)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick question.. Is the free mount adapter offer available in UK/Europe? and when does it expire? thanks.. ..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:

Just download the release candidate Wink

Works like a charm in PS and Lightroom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
forensail your flicker and other postings of a7 results are awesome. ive reviewed a lot of a7 and a7r pix and i am fast coming to the surprising (to me) conclusion that the look of the a7 is noticeably superior to its more expensive, higher mp'd, non AA'd brother. anyone else feel similarly?

I've seen some direct comparisions between A7 and A7r in JPEG and the A7r pictures are more contrasty with higher microcontrast and visbly higher dynamic range while A7 has better noise and slightly different colors. Also the AA filter gives a more "harmonic look" to the pixels, while the A7r can sometimes give really "edgy grain". I dunno how much of that depends on different JPEG engine and how much of it depends on the sensor but differences are huge indeed. I would prefer A7r anyway due the higher resolution, but I got my A7 for 900€ less (1199€ at Sony Education Sotre) than I would have to pay for A7r (2100€, no sales discount for students)

If the cameras would cost the same I would go for A7r as I love the extreme resolutionn.
I think will keep my A7 for a long time anyway Wink It's a great camera in all aspects!

PS: Nearly all Sony lenses are giving really nice colors; keep in mind that lenses are producing different colors and maybe the samples you have seen are based on the 28-70 kit lens which has pretty decent colors. BTW I generally prefer the Sony colors over the modern Canon lenses I have tried! I think they partially kept the Leitz/Minolta philosophy, or at least they kept the Minolta guys who are thinking like this Wink *thumbs up*

PPS: My pics are mostly JPEGs as I'm not 100% pleased how Lightroom 5.3 RC handles the new RAW files., giving subjectivly inferior, more blown out colors than OOC JPEG and with adjusting of the RAWs the contrast etc. becomes a little weird, giving sometimes an tiny but very ugly touch of pseude-HDR. It's not thaaat bad but OOC colors are better! Luckily I haven't bought LR 5 yet (Demo only) Very Happy

Does anyone know if CaptureOne or other good conversion software is already able to open A7/r RAW files? This color thing of Lightroom already sucked me on older Sony models but with latest release-candidate RAW engine of Adobe and the A7 RAW files it seems to be even worse.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:51 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Pentacon 50/2.4 PB mount:

Sony a7 with Prakticar Pentacon 50mm f/2.4 MC by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Side view:

Sony a7 with Prakticar Pentacon 50mm f/2.4 MC (side view) by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Not so much of a pancake when you include the adapter!

The Prakticar is a little contrastier than the Hexanon wide open:

DSC00026.jpg by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some tips how to handle Sony A7/r High ISO RAW files.
With some processing from RAW files ISO12800 is looking as good as ISO1600 OOC from NEX-3 Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96nbKAsu42M#t=667
Btw. you can adjust level of "cooking" on A7 in the menue (or you can set it at least from "normal" to "low")

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the beast on my a7:

IMG_6404.jpg by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

IMG_6405.jpg by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

The 85/1.4 is a bit too much hanging off the end for my liking Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just read somewhere that, whenever a non native lens is attached, a 'f', where it wants to display the aperture value it doesn't know, keeps on blinking on LCD / EVF and that the blinking symbol cannot be turned off. Is this rally so??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
just read somewhere that, whenever a non native lens is attached, a 'f', where it wants to display the aperture value it doesn't know, keeps on blinking on LCD / EVF and that the blinking symbol cannot be turned off. Is this rally so??

Just checked, and yes that appears to be the case. Didn't notice it before, now I do every time Laughing Doh!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael I thought that this must be quite disturbing, but if you had not noticed I take it that it isn't disturbing all that much. When I had played with A7/r for an hour or so I had not noticed either.
I believe it did not on any NEX or Alpha, so is this deliberate?

congrats Michael on the camera, you have the right lenses to make it sing too Wink

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receiced the a7 today. The camera essentially feels like the NEX-7 in hand, which is a good thing. The EVF seems to be slightly improved, ISO performance looks much better. The sensor of course is the big deal and initial results are positive with both X-Fujinon and Leica M / Voigtländer lenses.

Looks like I am set for a while now...

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Nice collection!

Thank you.

I will have to "re-learn" focal length and perspective again... 35mm is rather wide than "normal" now. 19mm is suddenly super-wide and the 16mm Fisheye makes me dizzy. Surprised

Curiously some of the wides seem to perform better on the a7 than they did on the NEX-7, including the 24/2.8 Fujinon. Will post a few samples sooner or later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
BurstMox wrote:

Just download the release candidate Wink

Works like a charm in PS and Lightroom

Thanks, I just did, and you're right, works like a charm Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

I'm absolutely stunned by it Shocked I can definitely work with this EVF!

The camera feels superbly made and is wonderful in the hand Smile

Anyway, first lens is on:

IMG_6400.jpg by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Wide open with contrast adjustment:

DSC00023.jpg by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Beautiful baby Graham , who care camera and lens Smile