Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7r, gamechanger, to be announced Wed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples of flat field corrected RF lenses in Lightroom Wink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinstelbrink/sets/72157638008570035/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Weather was very dull today, but I took the camera out for a spin anyway. Some comments:

1. Battery life is appalling - 200 odd shots per charge (which takes hours)
2. I am really not getting on with the EVF in good light. lots of mis-focused shots and peaking doesn't seem to work at all well Sad
3. High ISO performance in RAW is not as good as the Canon EOS 6D, it's quite noisy at ISO 6400

But...

I've just read that by switching on airplane mode (wifi off), you can get over a thousand shots per charge Shocked Will try this next time round!

Just need to get used to this EVF now...

Focus peaking is difficult at first ,keep it to minimum level,only then you can get approximation correctly!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question for those who already are using the A7s , how is the ergonomics ,i mean to say the focus assist button and cycling magnified view ?? can the magnified view be scrolled with the rear thumb wheel/dial?? can the focus assist be custom assisted to a button near the shuter release or the C2 button??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:
I have a question for those who already are using the A7s , how is the ergonomics ,i mean to say the focus assist button and cycling magnified view ?? can the magnified view be scrolled with the rear thumb wheel/dial?? can the focus assist be custom assisted to a button near the shuter release or the C2 button??

There is a timer on the magnified view (2 or 5 seconds or just button on off). There is also 2 step magnified view by default, one click = close, two click = closer. Ergonomics are very good for such a small camera IMO. The C2 button is the magnified view by default. I haven´t tried to assign another button because this works just nice Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
raay04 wrote:

There is a timer on the magnified view (2 or 5 seconds or just button on off). There is also 2 step magnified view by default, one click = close, two click = closer. Ergonomics are very good for such a small camera IMO. The C2 button is the magnified view by default. I haven´t tried to assign another button because this works just nice Wink

Thank You nordento !! looks like it is far superior than any NEX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

a question:
when I played with a A7 and A7r I was surprised that pushing the button for enlargement first just shows a rectangle of the portion which will be enlarged, only when pushing for the second time it enlarges, and third push enlarges further. Isn't that so? Or can a A7/r be set up to do enlargement with the first press?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen on theses cameras get scratches easily. I got my first one today Confused

Buy one of those plastic films if you care about this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that happened Lars! Hmm, I never liked these LCS Screen Protector foils, never used one on any camera I had, never got a scratch :crossfingers:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I got my first one today

sorry for that, they could use gorilla glass, a7 is more expensive than most phone & tablet

kds315 wrote:
never got a scratch

it's because you shot only flowers, try with children and cats Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
it's because you shot only flowers, try with children and cats Wink

A bush of roses has serious arguments when speaking about scratching. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been shooting the A7r with alot of glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55299472@N07/

It has it's own way with lenses, we should get an image thread going somewhere.

PM me when somebody makes one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

Oh, I see you have the CV 35mm f/1.2, how do you like it on the A7R (I am considering to buy it) Surprised

I agree on the image thread, can't you start one? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my OM-D pretty rough but never got a scratch. It's not visible at all when using the screen and it is one of those scratches you only see when you tilt your camera against a light source.

First scratch is always the worst Laughing

Bottom line, it's only a camera. It's better to have a used scratched camera than a perfect unused camera Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

Wow !
The A7r pictures are really great, very precise, crispy.
I'm impressed by the mountain landscape with max depth of field.
Looking at your images, I feel that if I were to buy this cam, I would choose the A7r over the A7. It seems to suit better what I'm looking for (proxy and macro, landscape, still photography).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh looks very different on FF too. I have a general feel that almost all lenses give more or less "creamy bokeh" on FF Wink

It was easier to see clear differences in bokeh with m43. You get this "magnifying effect" Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

Looking at your images, I feel that if I were to buy this cam, I would choose the A7r over the A7. It seems to suit better what I'm looking for (proxy and macro, landscape, still photography).

the plain A7 is great and nicer with the RF wides, but the A7r has great depth in the central frame always, and everywhere with the right lenses.

For landscape the camera loves f/8, where it is wildly sharp and edges come in on funny lenses like the CV 35/1.4 Smile

have a peep at the original of this one:

cv3514f8 by unoh7, on Flickr

see if you can count the snow guns running on the peak :
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5513/11194265484_85bdab0dfe_o.jpg

Nordentro wrote:
Bokeh looks very different on FF too. I have a general feel that almost all lenses give more or less "creamy bokeh" on FF Wink

It was easier to see clear differences in bokeh with m43. You get this "magnifying effect" Very Happy

Here is nikkor 10.5 cm 105/2.5 RF @f2.5

a7r_nikkor_105mm_RF by unoh7, on Flickr

The CV 35/1.4 is known for OK bokeh at best, but's really good on the A7r! The king of crazy sonnar bokeh is the nikkor 5cm/1.4. Shot it tonite for the first time:

DSC02199-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

CV 35/1.2 v1 is fantastic on the camera, one of the best 35s I've seen, next to the Leica FLE and the native.

35/1.2 by unoh7, on Flickr

edge performance is also different with the Sonys, so an image thread would be great, just show off all the glass we have with this new tool Smile I'm too controversial, so I'm not starting it, but I will join in Wink

Last edited by uhoh7 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at the photos produced by all our members here, the more I want to get a A7/A7r. It will not be so soon though. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV 35/1.2 is on my wantlist Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

see if you can count the snow guns running on the peak :
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5513/11194265484_85bdab0dfe_o.jpg

6 ? Smile

What does CV mean ?

The picture that impressed me for its dof, détails and clarity, is this one :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55299472@N07/11215572044/in/set-72157638325827103/

Was it taken with a Nikkor 2.5/105mm rangefinder ?

Last edited by Olivier on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina Voigtlander Wink (CV)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Cosina Voigtlander Wink (CV)

Thank you Lars.
So, is it a modern lens ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a new MF lens. Look at Steve Huffs review here:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/12/02/voigtlander-nokton-35-1-2-aspherical-ii-lens-review-on-the-leica-m9/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
That's a nice lens.
It seems very well made and looks like Voigtländer APO Lanthar 90mm, except the blue, red and green lines.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my m42 adapter today! Wow, this is fun! Takumars, Helioses, Jenas, Meyers etc Very Happy

I have a lot to do with my A7R now!

A guy told me that the A7(R) use the same battery as NEX cameras?!? Can somebody confirm, and is ther cheap china ones to buy?? Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEX Battery has reference NP-FW50.
It seems that A7 and A7r use the same one.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/nex-accessories/np-fw50/compatible-products#tab