Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7r, gamechanger, to be announced Wed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love to see some of your shots with the biogon 35/2 if you have a chance sometime. i just bought this lens and am anxious to see how it will fare.
tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to all of you who have it already or order it, exciting to wait for your shoots! J12 goes to deep into body, is it possible to mount on A7 pretty unbelievable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Here is the PEN F lens report:

20mm f/3.5 vignettes heavy
38mm f/1.8 vignettes just slightly when focus is far (not mechanical)
40mm f/1.4 vignettes mechanical when focus is far, it is ok when focus is near.
42mm f/1.2 vignettes mechanical when focus is far, it is ok when focus is near.
60mm f/1.5 is ok
70mm f/2 is ok
100mm f/3.5 is ok or just a tiny slight fall off in the corners

thank you very much Lars to first test the Pen-F lenses, great sample with the 1.5/60, very happy to know that it works fine on FF!
curious about more reports of more lenses, wish you much fun with the camera!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats to all of you who have it already or order it, exciting to wait for your shoots! J12 goes to deep into body, is it possible to mount on A7 pretty unbelievable.

Why? It almost fits a NEX-3, in fact,it does fit, but only focused at the minimum. If the plastic frame around the sensor was 1.5mm wider it would fit and focus to infinity.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Jupiter 12 at f8 (click for bigger)

100%

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not too smart to push something to close to sensor , risky , especially with a 2000 USD+ camera , I wasn't risk it even with my 200 USD or less NEX-3. I remember somebody here did take off J12 rear part and shoot pretty well on NX11 .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend (Thierry Hacquard) also modified a cheap Samsung NX in order to test J12 and Russar (pity he never posted here).

Like Attila, I won't risk to use J12 on my incoming A7 (and I'm not a wide angle fan, so no big loss).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the J12 works OK so seems like less of a risk to me Very Happy

I wonder if the Konica 40/1.8 will perform better wide open on full frame? There remember people fitting baffles before on crop cameras to avoid light leaks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the lowly OP's camera has not even shipped!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
It is not too smart to push something to close to sensor , risky , especially with a 2000 USD+ camera , I wasn't risk it even with my 200 USD or less NEX-3. I remember somebody here did take off J12 rear part and shoot pretty well on NX11 .

I will measure the gap today to see how "risky" the j12 is Wink
The lens is designed to fit this register distance, so I can't really see any problem. Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am amazed and perplexed at the enthusiasm for shooting $50-100 konica and russian lenses on the worlds first 36mp FF mirrorless! really? we have a camera approaching, if not squarely in, medium format resolution and you all are juiced about a J12 and konica 40 on this? all due respect for these 'bang for the buck' lenses, but this forum has members with some of the most expensive high quality glass in the history of the world and we have 2 pages of j9 and 12???!!! we 'cant wait' to shoot a $40 konica on a $2300 camera? how about some distagons, sonnars, biotars, summiluxes, crons, zeiss, leica, nikkor, rollei, schneider, lions, tigers and bears! WHERES MY MAN HARI WHEN I NEED HIM??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I too would like to know how some of my favorites will perform on the A7r. I think there's just too many to use in not yet enough time. And for the record, rbelyell, I don't recall seeing a J-9 image, but would sure like to. In time, we'll see them all.

Is it true that this is approaching medium format resolution? What parameters are considered to be the equivalent of 35mm FF on film? Not so easy to calculate, I suppose as sensor size, pixel size, and pixel density must all factor in some how. Anyway, I'm very interested in this camera and equally curious about how certain of my lenses will perform. Specifically, my sharpest lenses. And I wonder if some lenses will max out on this sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can shoot some with the J9 if you want Wink

I haven't got all my adapters yet so I am stuck with C-mount, m39 and PEN for now. But it's kind of weird for me, suddenly my lenses covers almost 4x area of my OMD. What was a face with a lens before is half a person with the FF. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'd like to see J-9, but of course with the amount that lens differs from copy to copy... My favorite and sharpest lenses are not quite mainstream here: Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5, 135/2.3, and 200/3. Tair-11 and Kalejnar 100/2.8 would be of interest too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the A7R a "gamechanger"?
An interesting article here:
http://www.leica-boss.com/2013/11/sony-the-new-leica/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully my thoughtful colleagues will read my entire post, including the last two sentences, and understand that it was half serious/half joking. i do think, given the 'groundbreaking' OT and 'groundbreaking' 36mp resolution, we should be panting to see what the best lenses do on this 'groundbreaking' sensor. doesnt seem too contraversial to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hopefully my thoughtful colleagues will read my entire post, including the last two sentences, and understand that it was half serious/half joking. i do think, given the 'groundbreaking' OT and 'groundbreaking' 36mp resolution, we should be panting to see what the best lenses do on this 'groundbreaking' sensor. doesnt seem too contraversial to me.

yes, would be nice to see best possible lenses on them and found camera is damn good works so well with all from cheap to expensive just like Canon 5D2 or NEX series.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the J9, silver, red, P m39 (click for bigger), shot at f2

100%

Last edited by Nordentro on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good as OMD, your wife always impressive Smile what is your opinion compare with OM-D if you not count new toy always better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, picture quality is better, EVF is better (than EM-5), grip is better, size is better (little bigger) Wink

OMD have it's nice IBIS, and it's smaller (can be good sometimes, travels etc.), OMD can shoot 9 fps (4 fps on sony).

They are both great cameras, but they are different systems. It is difficult to compare really.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Well, picture quality is better, EVF is better (than EM-5), grip is better, size is better (little bigger) Wink

OMD have it's nice IBIS, and it's smaller (can be good sometimes, travels etc.), OMD can shoot 9 fps (4 fps on sony).

They are both great cameras, but they are different systems. It is difficult to compare really.

Nice to hear, thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Here is the J9, silver, red, P m39 (click for bigger), shot at f2

Well, can't fault that - where'd you find her? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a play with the a7 in store today and I must say I love it, great camera and happy to see that HDR can nob be done with EV values of 3 exposures and 5 with 0,3 0,7 1 2 3
At least they put that right my a57 pisses me of with just 0,3and 0,7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a little comment on "outresolving" lenses. I don't think the A7R outresolves any more than my OMD, or maybe less.
It is 36mp against 16mp, but remember that the sensor is 3.8x bigger.

So if you compare with the crop factor in mind, the OMD's resolution is 16mp on the same area that the A7R has 9,5mp Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or 'how to befuddle the masses with mathematics'! lol!