Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So I got this from a 2nd hand site... (Porst 55/1.2)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: So I got this from a 2nd hand site... (Porst 55/1.2) Reply with quote

...as it was too cheap to pass up! Who wouldn't, for the price of a Tak 55/1.8?

(Damn, I used that word again, Klaus will make fun out of me! Laughing )

To be clear: the camera does not interest me in the least. Wink

Last edited by Spotmatic on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so at the next Houten fair you need to give even more film camera bodies away Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
so at the next Houten fair you need to give even more film camera bodies away Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So you never forgot about that. Wink

Alex is right... At the Houten fair, earlier this year, I left several worthless (to me) junker cameras, lenses and accessories behind because I did not want to drag them back home. For me, things like Prakticas and Domiplans are only good for the dustbin. Silly me Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about sure it is another "frugal" (got you Wink ) 85mm - but which one,
you should have about all (but Enna) by now... Wink Wink

I also have a few bodies and lenses laying around...anyone interested just for shipping cost??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see three 2s on the aperture ring...and it only goes to f/16 Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porst is pretty much an unknown name here in the US. First Porst camera I've ever seen.

But about the lens -- what is it? Is it really an f/1.2?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, please, what is this f/1.2 lens? (can see 1.2 on aperture ring in photo...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Porst Color Reflex MC 55/1.2 (K-mount). According to my opinion this lens is manufactured by Cosina and it's based on old Tomioka 55/1.2 optical design (mechanical parts are different).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I expect Porst Color Reflex MC 55/1.2 (K-mount). According to my opinion this lens is manufactured by Cosina and it's based on old Tomioka 55/1.2 optical design (mechanical parts are different).

I guess you are right. I did not ask the seller, but it should be the lens you have mentioned. In the EU, the set could also have been sold under the Revue name (the lens would then be a Revuenon). And Cosina is actually a great name - they manufacture the Zeiss lenses today (and the Voigtlander Apo-Lanthars in the past).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't destroy your illusions, but I like Tomioka's built better. Tomioka allowed f/1.2-f1.4-f/1.8-f/2, while the Porst (Cosina) allows only f/1.2 or f/2. Anyway, Tomioka isn't worth double price - maybe only as collectibility.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I won't destroy your illusions, but I like Tomioka's built better. Tomioka allowed f/1.2-f1.4-f/1.8-f/2, while the Porst (Cosina) allows only f/1.2 or f/2. Anyway, Tomioka isn't worth double price - maybe only as collectibility.

Well, for 50 euros I certainly don't have any illusions! Laughing

Thanks for the information about the Tomiokas though... I have made another mental note (my head is full of mental notes nowadays. Or maybe I'm just mentally ill Laughing )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very similar price to mine. I bought my Porst for €43, but it has some marks on MC layers, which cannot be completely cleaned. My seller advertised it as 1/2 lens instead f/1.2 lens, so nobody noticed the auction Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, no-one seems to have said well done yet! What a damn good bargain! Good on you! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
And Cosina is actually a great name - they manufacture the Zeiss lenses today (and the Voigtlander Apo-Lanthars in the past).

They still do make apo-lanthars, but as rangefinder lenses.

Cosina has also made some appalling crap in the past, it has to be said. Depending on which third-party lens manufacturer they were making them for and what the cost structure and contract specified, I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: So I got this from a 2nd hand site... Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
...as it was too cheap to pass up! Who wouldn't, for the price of a Tak 55/1.8?

To be clear: the camera does not interest me in the least. Wink

Bargain!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 euros for a 50:1.2, super bargain!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porst 55/1.2 has arrived at the relay address in Belgium. It was tested there.

First the bad: the focus does not seem to work well (it drags at the start). Also the diaphragm blades do not move at all.

But the good: externally it's excellent++, no fungus or dirt inside.

So maybe a quick fix, but even if the diaphragm would not work again that's not a problem at all. I have so many standard lenses that a fixed f/1.2 one is most welcome!

The lens. Does anyone know what the "F" stands for? F is the 6th letter in the alphabet so one could think that the Porst has 6 elements (but the sources say that it's a 7-element lens).

Wide open and a 100% crop:

Last edited by Spotmatic on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... if you cannot fix it ... your friend in HK can Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

That's good to know! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
hk300 wrote:

but ... not sure if he knows how to send it back Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
hk300 wrote:

but ... not sure if he knows how to send it back Wink

That could be a problem, yes Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"F" = Filterdurchmesser = filter thread mount size

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar one fixed few weeks ago in Görlitz.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The Porst 55/1.2 has arrived at the relay address in Belgium. It was tested there.

Knowing you ... are you going to pick up the lens yourself by car?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Knowing you ... are you going to pick up the lens yourself by car?

No, my Belgian friend's wife will post it at the post office just behind the Dutch border

BTW, thanks Klaus 1 for clarifying. Sounds plausible because it's a 55mm lens with a 55mm 'durchmesser'.

Thanks Klaus 2. I haven't had the opportunity to try the KSG, but I continously hear good things about them.