Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So I got this from a 2nd hand site... (Porst 55/1.2)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also recommend Mr Olbrich in Görlitz. I'm quite satisfied with his work + prices.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using PORST lens as macro lens with ring aprox. 1-2cm. It's a joy. Aperture around 8.

Otherwise PORST Compact-Reflex qualifies as one of the smallest M42 / PK cameras i think. And it is a fun to use - big and bright view.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOTAL Bargain! Way to go!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The lens. Does anyone know what the "F" stands for? F is the 6th letter in the alphabet so one could think that the Porst has 6 elements (but the sources say that it's a 7-element lens).

Yes, it has 7 elements. I think it's impossible to design 6-element 50mm double-gauss f/1.2 lens, which would offer acceptable performance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally it's here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the bargain!

But the "F" definitely does not stand for "Filterdurchmesser". Porst did give most of their lenses a strange letter like "AUTO H" or
"Porst Color Reflex MC Auto 1:1.4 55mm G"
or
"Porst Color Reflex Auto 1:2,8/55mm o49 D"
etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. So I could be right in that the "F" stands for the number of elements in the lens.

My lens has a "F" so it has 6 elements. The 55mm f/1.4 has G = 7 elements. The 55mm f/2.8 has D = 4 elements (a Tessar type, which sounds logical because of the speed of the lens). Definitely something to look into!

From m42.artlimited.net:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge the Porst MC 55/1.2 is indeed having 6 lenses in 4 groups ... and I like your idea about the letter designating the number of lenses!
I always have been wondering what it stands for as this, indeed, could make sense.

As for the "still-Porst MC=Tomioka believers" ... to my knowledge the Porst MCs have been made by Cosina (and, to my best knowledge, Tomioka never produced a lens with PK mount).

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but this info is incorrect. I have both these lenses - Tomioka Yashinon 55/1.2 and Porst MC 55/1.2.

Both of them has 55mm filter thread. Both of them have 7 optical elements. And it's very likely exactly the same optical design - inner reflections are identical - number of them, shape, size and even position. Even their performance is identical - bokeh, sharpness, etc. The only difference is color rendition, the coating is very different.

f/1.2 double-guass lenses are based at least on 7 optical elements.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, might I cite the official Porst catalogue of 1979 called "Fotografieren und Filmen"?
It lists the following lenses:

Porst Color Reflex Auto 1:2.5/40mm o49 E
- 5 lenses, MC, near focus 60cm, filter E49

Porst Color Reflex Auto 1:1.4/50mm o49 G
- 7 lenses, MC, near focus 50cm, filter E49

Porst Color Reflex Auto 1:1.2/55mm o55 F
- 6 lenses, MC, near focus 50cm, filter E55

apart from that it's interesting that Porst labeled the 50mm/1.2 X-M (Fuji) lense also with a "G" - and that one is definitely having 7 lenses, too

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for now we can be pretty sure that the letter designation stands for the number of lenses. This does not rule out the possible fact that there are 55mm f/1.2 Porst lenses made by Tomioka with 7 elements. Only a thorough research will reveal the truth. But I tend to believe the information that was supplied by Porst unless proven otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.: You are right about the filter diameters of the Yashinons, just checked mine ...
all of the following do indeed sport a 55mm filter:
Auto Yashinon f=55mm 1:1.2 Tomioka (55... serial)
Yashinon DS-M 55mm 1:1.2 Tomioka
and the
ML 55/1.2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it must be a typo. The lens has 6 groups, but 7 elements (one cemented doublet in rear group).

6 elements were used for f/2 (+later f/1.8 ) lenses. 7 elements are typical for f/1.4 lenses (or high-end f/1.7-f/1.8 lenses) and for old (or cheap) f/1.2 lenses. Majority of good f/1.2 50/55mm designs is based on 8 (or even more) elements.

Cobalt60: Is there an optical scheme in that catalogue?

Anyway, my 7-element Porst 55/1.2 has "F" letter written on the ring...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately no scheme Sad ... I've been hunting that one since "ages", too ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COSINA made Auto Revuenon 1.2/55mm. The lens has fully different glass. I don't know about design but you can come much closer to the subject with Porst then with COSINA / Revuenon. For me COSINA is much more stylish and gives expensive feeling. I have used both lenses frequently but still cannot decide which one is better. Then there is also a question of coating influence with PORST. Both blue / violet and gold MC versions exist. Golden produces darker image with higher contrast that i can say.

Here what my friend has done with PORST i sold him:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32212&id=1003028867
I really don't know if you will be able to see the photos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, would you know how to repair/service this Lens?

Its very simple...

The upper part of the tubus has got a very small screw.. Unscrew this.

After, you can move the whole tubus part with a bit pressure counterclockwise..

The whole section with filter ring and metal is in your hand and you are able to remove the front glas element in the same couterclockwise turn.

So, now you are on the aperture blades for cleaning them.

This Lens is one of the easiest to service lenses in terms of sticky aperture blades.. try it... you will love to service this lens..

Cheers
Henry

an additional info.. this is working with higher serials.. the Lenses, starting with #0 are a bit different. The are build with single glasses in the front element, the later ones.. starting with #5, have a complete unit with more glases in one removable part. Did verified that on my 2 Lenses.. one with a leading zero and one with a serial higher than 5xxxxx

Last edited by hinnerker on Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the valuable tips Henry, but I do not seem to be able to find the screw you are mentioning. Can you be a bit more precise?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Thank you very much for the valuable tips Henry, but I do not seem to be able to find the screw you are mentioning. Can you be a bit more precise?

yes, of course.. need ten minutes to show this in pictures..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is the first picture with the little screw...

Bring the lens to the closest setting.. max extension of the tube..
you will see this little screw..

Next steps will follow immediatly

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry, but there's definitely not such a screw on my lens. I have checked it at the closest focusing position but there really is no screw...

Mine has the same scale but M/Ft instead of METERS/FEET. Also the smaller diameter ring isn't there at the end of the lens barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This next pic shows the result after unscrewing the small screw and turn anticlockwise the front-ring part.

Next pics will follow immediately

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading numerous posts in Pentax forums i found my post was wrong. In fact Auto Revuenon 1.2/55mm is the same as Rikenon and COSINA. All were made by Tomioka whereas PORST is supposedly build by COSINA itself. Has anyone seen PORST labeled anything different? Sold under any other brand?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 55/1.2 lenses, one labeled Porst Color Reflex MC Auto, one Color Reflex MC Auto, a friend of mine have a Porst too, but his copy is very different from mines. His copy has a 6 digits serial number, mine have 8 digits. He has a shortest focus of 0,5m, I have 0,6m, his smallest aperture is f/22, mine is f/16 (yes, it is useless on this kind of fast lenses). We didn't compare each others yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that we have the same one, CarbonR... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now we are on the way, where the things divide in two lines..
The old one, i use in this pictures.. starts with a leading zero in the serialnummber and is a little different in mechanical build..

With this shown version, you find single glases coming out of the Tubus, instead of a whole lens group in higher serial numbers. So i know, the shown 0-Serie is mechanical different.

First the pics

after unscrewing the locking ring, this is the result..

What i want to say in my bad english is, that what you see is the way, the prototype or 0- Serie was built. In higher digits, the build the front elements in one group, you can easily unscrew counterclockwise.

I will not totally dismantling this lens for you, but i did have a higher serial number of this Lens also for more then a year and serviced them also. But i did sell the lens some weeks ago to a friend.

Maybe this xcould helpful for you

Cheers
Henry