Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So I got this from a 2nd hand site... (Porst 55/1.2)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed that there a lot of different Porst versions on the market...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry this is interesting info your giving about serial numbers. So i ended with 3x prototype Smile. All having 22 aperture. Sadly i didn't pay attention and sold blue/violet coating sample so i have only golden: MC Auto with letter F: 001040, 005751, 005763.

Let me just add that it's not easy to repair them if you separate glass elements. Big glass attracts dust so easily!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@CarbonR: Can you maybe verify with your friend's version the "letter" in the name? "F" or "G"? and the number of blades?

_Usually_: I would say
0,6m - f16 points in "Tomioka design" direction
whereas
0,5m - f22 point in the direction of Cosina ...
maybe Smile

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Let me just add that it's not easy to repair them if you separate glass elements. Big glass attracts dust so easily!

No, not if you have a big transparency bag or cabinet and this.. Very Happy

As an alternative you can do it in the bathroom after morning shower.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my opinion on 55/1.2 lenses:

1. designed by Tomioka, made by Tomioka:

55/1.2 M42 lenses, all of them are single-coated... e.g. Tominon, Yashinon, Revuenon, Chinon...

2. designed by Tomioka exclusively for Yashica:

55/1.2 M42 Yashinon DS-M

3. designed by Tomioka, made by Cosina:

55/1.2 MC Porst K-mount. The older version of it (focusing 0.5m + 6-digits SN). This lens is opticaly identical to #1. I think Cosina bought/got some older optical schemes, which Tomioka used no more (55/1.4, old 55/1.2 etc.)

4. designed by Cosina, made by Cosina:

55/1.2 MC Revuenon K-mount (for the Solar camera). Maybe this lens is identical to the new model of Porst MC 55/1.2 (0.6m + 8-digits SN). This is actually quite new design. If any 55/1.2 lens has 6 lens elements, this could be the one (new materials, high computing power etc.)... though I'm skeptical.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PORST versions differ only in coating and minor differences like newer apertures going only to 1:16. Both PORST are in fact able to achieve min. focusing distance 45cm whereas Revuenon truly stays at 60cm. Pretty surely different design. Holding both PORST and Revuenon in my hands i am also 99% sure they were not made by the same company.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they were made by the same company, but the K-mount Porst is 15 years older than K-mount Revuenon, so many things could change due the time...

Just imagine how different are the new Zeiss SLR lenses, which are in fact 15 years newer, than the K-mount Revuenon (and also made by Cosina)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conceptual approach?

Well, maybe we should move the general 55/1.2 discussion elsewhere to keep this free for the original author's questions ...

I would volunteer to "dedicate" a page or a few on yashica.org to that topic (as it's of course of "utmost Yashica" interest Smile).

How about start collecting simply facts of the lenses we all own?

exact labelling, serial#, mount, size & weight, # of blades, closing direction of blades, diaphragm "clicks", filter diameter, etc ... and of course photos of the details?

http://yashica.org/556-0-The+5512+challenge.html Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. Where shou I post/send the details?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to use markus (at) yashica.org!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is PK mount, most likely made by Cosina. BUT it has "F" on bevel.

I doubt it has only 6 element lens, but it might be correct.

My Porst is almost same as Henry's. Its sharpness is slightly inferior to
Yashica ML 55/1.2, but it is hard to tell.

My Porst has F1.2, F2-F22, there is no click stop between F1.2 and F2.

This lens has R indicator at F8, but Spotmatic's has at F4, which might be better lens (at least CA is more corrected ?!)
My Yashica ML 55/1.2 R mark at between F4 and F8, but it has a click stop at F1.4, which is nice.

Some samples @f1.2>

A little grow around white area, they do not seem to be as sharp as Spotmatic's. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by koji on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Porst is exactly the same as the pictured one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two lenses have the F, M/Ft for distance scale and no screw, as Peter Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my "twins"..

The left one has the higher digits, both have the "F" engraving. ...

I think, that means nothing. Maybe a hint to the factory..
The left one with the higher digits (5xxxxx) has made a change in comparison to the older 0xxxx

The glasses for the one with 5xxxxx are assembled in a complete block, than the lower digit Lens, which is build with single assembled glasses. Both have also mechanical changes. I realized that, when the 0-Lens did arrive. For using this lens on a FF EOS 5D its necessary to file down the P/K Nose and also some mm of the mounting of the back lens.

So for the first tests i did think by myself.. take the Mount from one Lens and change this to the new lens, which did arrive. But worse case.. it doesnt fit. They have change the inner parts of the mount. The one with the higher digits was much easier build.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this of any interest?

http://women-and-dreams.blogspot.com/2008/11/porst-55mm-f12-wind-blows-neptunes-hair.html

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this was definitely a good read Smile. Thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Icf Reply with quote

Sorry, the link wasnt helpful at all.

The writer is telling things, we all know.

Me, i did have also the Yashica DS-M 1.4/50mm and 2x Porst 1.2..

His conclusion is wrong.

The 1.2 class of lenses is extraordinary. Sure, you can compair 1.4 classes of lenses against 1.8 Lenses.. wide open.. but he is talking not imhanent in one class.

So this makes the whole report more than needless.

Its the same like discussing a Canon 1.4/50mm against a 1.8/50mm "yogurt can"...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, a f/1.2 lens has to be used only fully opened. If it is for using at f/2 or lower, you can buy a cheaper lens, that will be lighter, smaller, cheaper, and surely sharper Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
For me, a f/1.2 lens has to be used only fully opened. If it is for using at f/2 or lower, you can buy a cheaper lens, that will be lighter, smaller, cheaper, and surely sharper Wink

+1

Thats what they are made for..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
New member here, but i know you for a long time...
Sorry if my english isn't correct ; I 'm writing it as it goes...
Embarassed
(you're welcome for your corrections)

F or G is definitively the number of lenses, Minolta's mood.
I've got the PORST 50mm F1.2 Fujica Mount, with a G, which is definitively a X-Fujinon EBC 50mm f1.2 DM you can find on this website :
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica/fujica.htm
(go to lenses/bayonet/50mm/1.2) 7 lenses.

(the only difference is the filter ring in 55mm instead of 49mm)

The Porst 55/1.2 is known to be a 6 lenses formula (There is 2 versions of this lens, f16/f22, 0.5/0.6m, but with a F, we can consider this for sure).
http://kamera-geschichte.de/files/porst_slr_compact_reflex_oc.htm
Consensus on the fact it isn't a M42 Tomioka like.

(Salut Carbon'R Wink )

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
Hi,
New member here, but i know you for a long time...
Sorry if my english isn't correct ; I 'm writing it as it goes...
Embarassed
(you're welcome for your corrections)

F or G is definitively the number of lenses, Minolta's mood.
I've got the PORST 50mm F1.2 Fujica Mount, with a G, which is definitively a X-Fujinon EBC 50mm f1.2 DM you can find on this website :
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/fujica/fujica.htm
(go to lenses/bayonet/50mm/1.2) 7 lenses.

(the only difference is the filter ring in 55mm instead of 49mm)

The Porst 55/1.2 is known to be a 6 lenses formula (There is 2 versions of this lens, f16/f22, 0.5/0.6m, but with a F, we can consider this for sure).
http://kamera-geschichte.de/files/porst_slr_compact_reflex_oc.htm
Consensus on the fact it isn't a M42 Tomioka like.

(Salut Carbon'R Wink )

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i really like to see samples from X-FUJINON 1.2/50mm / PORST. Did anyone tried to change mount and use it on digital? I have two samples at home both looking so seducing Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it in my hands a minute ago and apart from the first challenge, the register distance, which is 0,5mm less than Canon EF you _really_ would have to shave it a the back and get rid of the control handles.
"Unfortunaltey" the lens is widde enough to touch the EF bayonet, too, so you will not be able to mount it "inside" so you will definitely lose infinity focus (which might be not a problem is you see it as a portrait lens.
I would expect no "back element hit by 5D mirror" problem is the back lens is not really protuding.
As my example of this lens is mint I won't shave it ... maybe if I get one for a few bucks somewhere I will give it a try ...

P.S.: Please don't forget to participate in the 55/1.2 "inventory" challenge!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Now i really like to see samples from X-FUJINON 1.2/50mm / PORST. Did anyone tried to change mount and use it on digital?
I have two samples at home both looking so seducing Smile.

(Thank you Attila)
Here is some tests i have already published on a french forum
The lens is just pressed on an Olympus E-520, and will be adapted later on a G1

Last edited by Phenix jc on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total