Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extreme backlight (post your images)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there are some truly beautiful pictures in this thread!

@Bob, No 1 is as near a Turner painting as I've ever seen in a photo, and I'm intrigued how you achieved the sparkle effect and red colour in No 2, did you use two filters?

@Bill, your pic shows how difficult it is to meter against the light. I guess your main aim was to catch the beautiful sky and the rays of sunshine, but to my mind the exposure is maybe half a stop too little. It looks as though the sun is still fairly high in the sky, but do the cars have their lights on? There's enough detail in the landscape to draw your eye, but it's just a little too dark for me to make it out, at least on my screen.

@Doug, this was a really difficult shot straight into the sun and you judged the exposure really well I think. The ray of highlights caused by the lens is similar to what I described earlier about my Tamron zoom.

@naplam - Wow, gorgeous!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I am thoroughly blown away by your landscape/atmospheric work, these are magnificent. I spent years trying to do good Manila Bay sunsets, and never got anywhere close. This sort of thing is not easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, your photos are simply amazing! Shocked Wow! Very Happy

I still need to look for some of my examples. But here is a quick one I shot yesterday with the Nikkor-H 1.8/85 on the 350D. This is my neighbour Heinz, a really pleasant guy.

It's not really extreme backlight, but the sky was really bright.
I am quite happy how the lens (and the sensor) handled that! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, agree, the pic is underexposed which has been the problem I've had
with it. Beaming it up in PS would probably bring on some nice flare.

EDIT: I brightened it up some, but this is still not up to standard with all
these excellent shots.

Bill

Last edited by Katastrofo on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not extreme; more of a glow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I really like n.1

N.3 amazingly seems like a 3D rendering from programs such as "Mojoworld" or "Terragen".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Not extreme; more of a glow.

Fabulous; looks like a cross between the Shingzau Valley of China and a Norwegian fjord. This is not only a fine backlight example, it is a magnificent piece of work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to give Bob a swelled head or anything, but I totally agree with Larry! Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Larry and Bill about Bob's shots . . .wow!

Gives me something to aim for in the quality department!

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a total wash-out day at the beach, with gray skies matching the gray sea. So I remember that I spent the whole day, into the early evening, with a macro lens.

I did, however, keep in mind that once the sun swung behind the various headlands, that there could be possibilities for backlight images.

This pair of stacks looked mundane in the morning light, with no real contrast. The backlight changed all that though, and allowed for form to take the place of detail.

I fished the neglected Yashica Mat out of my pack, unwrapped it out of the plastic bag (sand must be avoided in a camera at all costs), and mounted it on the tripod. While I was fiddling around with figuring out Sunny 16 rules in my head, the birds started gathering.

Finally, all the Pelagic Cormorants were lined up on the south stack and the lone Glaucous Winged Gull on the north stack. The backlight really helped here, because while I desired some bit of detail on the birds, what I really wanted was more of a silhouetted expression (form) to take the place of the absence of colors.

So anyway, the somewhat angular backlight coming in from the left allowed for a keeper in otherwise drab conditions! This image reminded me of a minister preaching to his flock of devoted listeners. He was dressed in fancy robes for the occasion, while the devotees wore their basic black uniforms. Laughing

Orator
Yashica Mat 124
f:5.6 and 1/125 sec
Fuji Reala
[/b]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahahhaha!!
Best title in a long while! Laughing
(and excellent catch!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread...

I love a bit of backlighting!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
Great thread...

I love a bit of backlighting!

Beautyfull pictures !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without pointing at any pics in particular, it strikes me the most interesting ones are where the sun is low in the sky. Anyone agree?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Orator
Yashica Mat 124
f:5.6 and 1/125 sec
Fuji Reala

Yes, thats great and spkennedy3000's too.

Mine are older (Jupiter-9) and also with Fuji Reala 100

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

(c) Cosmin Munteanu

& http://forum.mflenses.com/foggy-morning-t5495.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon and Cosmin, absolutely beautiful images!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, I love the simplicity and immediacy of the last one. It looks and feels like a fragment of memory.

Same for your second one, Cosmin. I love the simplicity and the poetry of its understatement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my best example (AF lens though Embarassed )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Finally got an Extreme Backlight Reply with quote

I realized I didn't really have any "extreme backlight" shots so I went to the Gulf of Mexico this weekend and got some.

This is a birdwatching sanctuary watching tower with the new moon in the background. It was 100% dark when I shot this, the lights are about 5 miles away. (Even got a few stars)

30 sec exposure, Super Tak 28mm. 40D.

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, really fantastic pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules,
Very nice I like it. It reminds me of when I lived in Louisiana. My bird was taken on the Gulf too (Alabama though).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally forgot I had a backlit shot for this... and nothing's come up during the past few days, so...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad309 wrote:
Jules,
Very nice I like it. It reminds me of when I lived in Louisiana. My bird was taken on the Gulf too (Alabama though).

Hi and thanks.
It was taken in Port Aransas, just north of Corpus. Not quite as tropical as LA, but the same basic idea; Marshes, birds, alligators, Nutrea, ha ha, you know the drill.

Jules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, nothing like those "little" swamp rats Shocked
I enjoyed my trip to Corpus area about 15 years ago, definately a lot nicer than some other Gulf towns!