Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extreme backlight (post your images)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
We had many of them in the past they are great fighter jets, thanks for our government we throw all of them to trash and bought a few Grippen. (Good chance to lose all of them at the first attack.)

The German Government has all the MIG-29 sold. I can also not understand.

Imre

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany is a big powerfull country, perhaps you have remain enough airplane, but we have only 10 Grippen or less Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Night Fishing Reply with quote

Infrared moonlight, night fishing. Taken on the Gulf of Mexico Coast in South Texas. The rocks are some kind of granite that has many crystals in them

F/8, 1 20th sec (I think), taken with an AF lens but the AF wouldn't work (Too confused) so I had to manual focus.

Jules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Ghost ship Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there are so many excellent shots in this thread! Jules, that's a
fabulous shot! And Ron, well caught the ship in the moonlight and a great
comp!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
And Ron, well caught the ship in the moonlight and a great comp!

Bill

I guess it's not moonlight Wink Very clever shot, I like it a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:
And Ron, well caught the ship in the moonlight and a great comp!

Bill

I guess it's not moonlight Wink Very clever shot, I like it a lot!

Oops, my bad, Ron must have shot this in "Ra" format... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who ever said that you cannot shoot a good picture at intense backlight, has been proved wrong by this thread!
Excellent results, gentlemen!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking around on various media that I have images stored on. It's difficult to locate images dealing with backlighting, because I have not tagged or key-worded "backlight" specifically as a category for searching.

However, giving it some thought, it is a "given" that almost any sunrise image is a backlit image. So I searched the media using "sunrise", and this image from a morning walk in the Fall of 2002 came up.

The backlighting shows its power here in using the light of the sun below the horizon to delineate the shapes, colors, and differential prismatic effects of light shining behind and upward into a darker blue air mass with streaming clouds. So I guess you could call this a "pure" backlit scene, and therefore a good representation of how backlighting has the ability to add drama to a scene.

Even here, where there really isn't any foreground subject, I think that the drama and intensity stands on its own, and so the backlighting itself becomes the subject of the image.

I've never given much thought to what to with this image, but now that Orio has requested examples of our interpretations of backlighting, this one finally finds a place. Laughing

Canon AE-1
Canon FD 28/2.8 Lens
Fuji Velvia
Exposure Unrecorded

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence; Wow, the glowing sky is great!

Imre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not 'extreme', but it is the closest that I have Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both last pictures are impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence,
That is truly an amazing capture!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My entry is feeble compared to Laurence's and the others, but here goes.
First shot with an Oly P&S in a park in Sydney. I didn't intend the flare, but I liked it when I saw it.

The second shot was intentional. Dawn at Wollongong harbour, New South Wales, with Canon 300D and kit lens. I tried several exposure settings to get the level of shadow detail I wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wollongong Harbour image shows one of the neat things that can happen with backlit subjects; which is the way those automobiles are sort of circumscribed with an outline of light. Those outlines transform a "blank" part of the image into an area of high interest. In fact, they are now seemingly linked with the boats in the harbour! Very nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backlighting seems to really show its usefulness when shooting subjects where there is a lot of moisture or mist in the air. The backlight tends to scatter dramatically from the photographer's viewpoint, and it can turn an otherwise vapid scene into a dimensional tome with interesting shadow and light structures.

I'm sorry that this is possibly a "repeat image" for some of you, but I feel that this is another one that codifies Orio's intentions on producing this thread. I feel it is wholly representative of the "backlight scatter effect" that happens when shooting directly toward the sun.

So -- for sure -- DON'T HESITATE TO TRY SHOOOTING RIGHT INTO THE LIGHT SOURCE! Sometimes you might get a surprise or two! Wink

By the way, this was shot on a piece-of-crap plastic point and shoot camera, with a plastic lens. So in this case I needed all the help I could get from that good ol' backlighting!

Ruby Beach Trail
Minolta point-and-shoot camera, plastic fixed lens
Exposure unknown, possibly f:8 and 1/125th

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
. . .
By the way, this was shot on a piece-of-crap plastic point and shoot camera, with a plastic lens. . .

Shocked I'll be the first to say this - give Larry anything capable of holding film/capturing an image and we get magic!

Living proof talent is oftem more important than equipment.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, you might call it feeble, but I regard your first picture (the portrait of your son) as one of the best examples posted in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:
Laurence wrote:
. . .
By the way, this was shot on a piece-of-crap plastic point and shoot camera, with a plastic lens. . .

Shocked I'll be the first to say this - give Larry anything capable of holding film/capturing an image and we get magic!
Living proof talent is oftem more important than equipment.
Jim

Wow! Thanks for the nice compliment Jim! Now...just don't tell anybody that this is probably only able to be enlarged to about 5x7 inches before it turns to mush. Confused Evil or Very Mad Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Peter, you might call it feeble, but I regard your first picture (the portrait of your son) as one of the best examples posted in this thread.

Orio, I sort of glossed over peter's shot, and I thank you for waking me up about it. And right you are, especially in the effect of the backlighting producing a glowing spectre around the interacting subjects!

Even the red hair has small but spectacular jewels of highlighting that produces a sparkle of continuity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Laurence wrote:
Orio, I sort of glossed over peter's shot, and I thank you for waking me up about it. And right you are, especially in the effect of the backlighting producing a glowing spectre around the interacting subjects!

Even the red hair has small but spectacular jewels of highlighting that produces a sparkle of continuity.

Wow, thank you, thank you!! Praise from you two guys is praise indeed! I'm really smiling now Very Happy

I agree completely with your advice Laurence, I've never been frightened of shooting directly into the light - we need to look with our eyes towards the sun sometimes and never pointing a camera at it will miss many good pictures. Sometimes they're a disaster but the good ones make up for it, and with digital where's the risk?.

The first shot was just lucky. I wanted to catch the outline of light around both subjects and also include the water in the distance, so I was forced to look into the sun. I couldn't control the exposure settings and I didn't see any flare in the live view, just "point and shoot"! In the second one I really wanted the vehicles to disappear in the blackness as much as possible, just leaving the sun, sky and sea framed by the pine trees, but it wasn't possible. This is the best of four shots I took very quickly with different aperture settings as the sun was rising amazingly quickly. The camera was on loan and my first time using a DSLR.

Maybe I'm asking for trouble but I very rarely ever use a hood, although I do sometimes shield the lens with my hand or my hat, like you need to do with your eyes. So it's important for me how well a lens copes with direct light. We never see any tests or direct comparisons on this aspect.

The Takumar lenses, especially the SMC ones, are brilliant. I haven't tried a Zeiss T coated lens but I'd guess they're very good too, like the MC Jena lenses. But I've had several several flare-prone disasters, particularly the Jupiter 21M and Vega-12. I'm also disappointed with the Tamron SP35-80 - often there's a ray of spectrum-coloured dots across the picture, due to internal reflections I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some crackers in this thread.Cool

Here's my contribution:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson, Bob, Chris, excellent! Well, here's my meager contribution, the
best one I've found so far:

Industar 50/3.5 shot.

Bill

Last edited by Katastrofo on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent extreme samples here! More more More!!!

Here's one I did on purpose, Vivitar TX 28/2.8, using the close focus ability, against the sun, on a Spotmatic