Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Agfa Record II 6x9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:
You will see a big #1, #2, and so on, centered in the window.

Very beginner question: but if the 120 roll is the same that is used for 6x6 cameras, how can I be sure that the numbers I will be seeing are right for 6x9 spacing?

-

I opened up a junker roll of 120: numbers go like this: 1-12 is dead
center in the roll with 1-8 below, and 1-16, above. The window is lower
on this camera compared to my Isolette, so will read only the 1-8 #s.
Thank you, that is all....

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Thank you, that is all....
Bill

Sorry if I did disturb...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, no, I forgot the smilie! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have loaded the first roll! (not a Velvia... couldn't risk that first! I loaded a B&W one).
It is very easy! Much easier than with Pentacon 6.
The metal flap is FANTASTIC help to keep the film tightly pressed - wish I had it on the P6 too.
The Ilford numbering must be a bit off above (or perhaps is the camera's window not properly aligned), I nearly missed it on advancing. Anyway it's there, tomorrow the first test roll! Very Happy

(first time ever I shoot a 6x9 film!!)

Canonette will serve as pageant rangefinder Laughing
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Good hunting! Wink You will have the photo lab do the scans?

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Cool! Good hunting!
Bill

Haven't you shoot anything yet with yours?

I am curious about the Apotar quality. Not many samples are available online and most are from the Isolette.

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
first time ever I shoot a 6x9 film!!

Good luck Orio, that's nearly large format Smile I'm betting that before too long you'll be shooting 10 x 12.5cm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sick today, but would've finished my roll in the Isolette, and run a
roll through my second Kowa Six. With film, I go to places to shoot, not
like digital, hate to waste the film on test shots.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio wrote:
first time ever I shoot a 6x9 film!!

Good luck Orio, that's nearly large format Smile I'm betting that before too long you'll be shooting 10 x 12.5cm

Thanks but I doubt that, unless I can find a true occasion, Sinars and the like are way too expensive for me! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I was sick today, but would've finished my roll in the Isolette, and run a
roll through my second Kowa Six. With film, I go to places to shoot, not
like digital, hate to waste the film on test shots.
Bill

OK I'll beat you at being the first with the Record, sorry for that! Razz
(oops no I was forgetting Steve!)
(I hope you are feeling better now!) Exclamation

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can summarize and clarify the various questions concerning the medium format folders:

I know the answers have already been pretty much covered, I just thought this might help put it all in one place.

1. Bill and Orio, your cameras are both looking just beautiful; in fact, they are as good as I've ever seen. Steve, your Record
has a wonderful look to it, especially the cool rangefinder. It's a "user" and that bodes WELL for the success of the camera.

2. The Apotar lens is supposedly "second" to the Solinar. I have seen MANY shots from both lenses, and there is no visible
difference whatsoever. And these images were "judged" by about a dozen people in the camera club!

3. Steve, the Agnar lens ALSO has no difference to those same people, except wide open where it is a bit soft. Stop it down
to 5.6 and it is fantastic. You have to remember, too, that these transparencies and negs have so much real estate that
it simply doesn't matter, unless you are getting up into the extreme enlargements. How often does anyone do that? Not
very often, I'll bet.

4. The Record 6x9 has only the one window on lower right, so it's easy to see that is the advance window.

5. There are no "stops" when you wind, you'll only hear the release mechanism shifting shortly after you start winding. You simply
stop when the number is visible.

6. The film is loaded and transported from right to left - takeup spool of course should be transferred to left side.

7. When you first put the roll in, it seems like a LOT of winding until you get to Number 1. Just be patient, nothing is wrong!

8. A viewfinder is certainly not a necessity; zone focus is easy enough, although you'll probably eventually want a viewfinder for
critical close focus.

9. There was a question about whether or not you see a naked woman in the little red counting window. No, you guys will NOT
see a naked woman. My model must have been better, because I DID see a naked woman with a little card showing the number.

10. Yes, sometimes the number is a little off in the red counting window...no problem.

11. The way you have to load, makes for splendid success, since it is so easy. I always put a little pressure on the full roll with my
thumb as I wind the film a couple inches at first, just to make sure the slack is tight.

12. I've never had a problem with the fabled "film flatness" issue. Neither have the 6 to 8 members of the camera club who have 6x9s.
The spring loaded pressure plate is so large and robust that it works exceptionally well.

13. I always use a "checkoff" - Wind the film, then set the f:stop, then set the focus, then set the shutter.

14. Be careful to NOT set the shutter before winding - always wind first, THEN set the shutter. Now, it probably doesn't really hurt a thing
on the lower speeds, but up into 1/250th, 1/500th, etc. it is VERY stressful to the mechanism. To be safe, I ALWAYS wind first.

15. I "fooled" myself several times at first! I pushed and pushed and pushed on the shutter button! OOPS! It was the button that opens the
camera! Wasted a few frames that way, because I thought it had jammed... Rolling Eyes

That's all I know for now. Hope this summary helps.

Laurence

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Laurence!

You guys do not know, Laurence has been so kind to have gifted me with his 6x9 scanning mask and film holders!! Can't wait to get them so I will be able to scan film from this camera.

I have a question about that X red - M yellow switcher, what is it there for and how am I supposed to set it for normal shooting?

-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks Laurence!

You guys do not know, Laurence has been so kind to have gifted me with his 6x9 scanning mask and film holders!! Can't wait to get them so I will be able to scan film from this camera.

I have a question about that X red - M yellow switcher, what is it there for and how am I supposed to set it for normal shooting?

-

Always keep it on X, Orio.

The M is for the old flash bulbs, and delays the shutter for a few milliseconds (20ms, I think) so that the old style flash bulb comes up to full power as the shutter is released.

The X is for "instant" flash synchronization, and for normal shooting.

(I would guess it doesn't matter a whole lot if it was X or M, but perhaps it's best to keep it on X, just because the shutter is delayed under M, and that might make a difference of some fast-moving subject).

Another HUGE benefit of these cameras: Flash is synchronized at ALL speeds! It's a joy to be able to have a flash that synchs to 1/500th of a second! Cool

And regarding that scanning template -- NOW you HAVE to show us some results from the 6x9! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - now I wonder why are there TWO M-X switches... one on the side of lens the other on the bottom...

Another question, also on bottom of lens, there is a strange lever that activates the shutter release, I have it IDENTICAL on the Super Ikonta, which also sports a Synchro Compur.
The purpose of this lever escapes me..
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the switch with the red dot on it? That's a timer.
Rather, it made timer noises when I bothered it... Laughing

Bill

ps Laurence, as ever, thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:
You will see a big #1, #2, and so on, centered in the window.

Very beginner question: but if the 120 roll is the same that is used for 6x6 cameras, how can I be sure that the numbers I will be seeing are right for 6x9 spacing?

-

From what I recall, the line of numbers are in a different position according to where the window is placed on the camera back. In other words, you won't see the 6x6 numbers on a 6x9 back. It's been absolutely decades since I last used 120, so my recollection might be faulty.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHOT !!

I shot a roll through the Agfa and another through the Super Ikonta. They should be ready on Friday Very Happy

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
SHOT !!
I shot a roll through the Agfa and another through the Super Ikonta. They should be ready on Friday Very Happy
-

Black and white? Color? Negatives? Transparencies?

I have a feeling you are going to love those big old pieces of developed film that you get back. Wink

I was going to "trump" you guys with some of my scans of 6x9, but maybe I shouldn't do that. Or...should I? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Black and white? Color? Negatives? Transparencies?

I have a feeling you are going to love those big old pieces of developed film that you get back. Wink

I was going to "trump" you guys with some of my scans of 6x9, but maybe I shouldn't do that. Or...should I? Twisted Evil

Two black & whites, I wrote it previously in the thread I think.
Sure that you should post your scans, that's what this forum is for and about!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, did you pick up your developed film, today?

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lab did not deliver it today Evil or Very Mad

I hope tomorrow morning.
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to see those scans!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are KILLING me! I sure hope there are some prototype scans this weekend! Laughing

I AM going to wait to post mine though...I would like to see the scans from your new cameras first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the negatives Very Happy

Scans later.

_