Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Valjo, congratulations on an incredible deal. The 50mm f/3.5 Elmar is probably the sharpest lens that Leitz has ever made. It may be slow, but it is an amazingly good optic.

It's a Russian fake. However, it may not be bad either. Wink

I've compared the shown picture with some original lenses from the Leicashop. They are looking a little bit different.

The Elmar should be a genuine copy(triple checked myself). However, I am not an Leica expert. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
tb_a wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Valjo, congratulations on an incredible deal. The 50mm f/3.5 Elmar is probably the sharpest lens that Leitz has ever made. It may be slow, but it is an amazingly good optic.

It's a Russian fake. However, it may not be bad either. Wink

I've compared the shown picture with some original lenses from the Leicashop. They are looking a little bit different.

The Elmar should be a genuine copy(triple checked myself). However, I am not an Leica expert. Rolling Eyes

The front scale and markings are rather good but still there are minimal differences.

However, even the FED 50/3.5 which is most probably the basis of this lens and an (almost) 100% copy of the Elmar is a very good bargain for Euro 1.50 and it's definitely not a bad lens.

I've compared my FED 50/3.5 from 1931 and my KMZ Industar 22 50/3.5 from 1951 with the pictures of some original Leitz ones and the picture shown here. I have to admit that it's rather tricky. But I am still convinced that Valjo's lens is a fake, i.e. rather a FED lens.

A very obvious difference:

Original:

Valjo's picture:

Last edited by tb_a on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Minolta MD 4/200mm CHF 12.--
Konica Hexar 4/200mm CHF 4.--
Konica Hexanon 3.2/135mm CHF 5.--
Tokina AT-X 2.8/35-70mm CHF 25.--
Minolta Dynax 9 CHF 99.--

and many more Wink

Very nice finds!!
Especially the Hexanon f3.2/135. I was bidding for one that started cheaply on evilBay but the auction ended with a bidding frenzy.
Sunday is the worst day on ebay for buyers in the USA.

Yes ... when i bought it i didn't know how good it actually is. The Konica Hexanon 3.5/135mm (second version) is not bad at all, similar to the contemporary Minolta 3.5/135mm designs, but the 3.2/135mm is even a tiny bit better. And it focuses down to 1m, which is really useful for portrait work.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

The Leitz Elmar 3.5/50mm certainly is a legend, but it is NOT a good lens at all. I have tested it - together with a few other vintage lenses from Leitz and Zeiss on a NEX-5N (16 MP APS-C):

http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/320-nex-5n-und-klassische-50mm-zeiss-leitz-objektive

Now look at Minolta normal lenses from the 1970-1980 area - they usually are dirt cheap and at the same time much better than the Elmar:

http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/322-nex-5n-und-minolta-50mm-objektive-teil-ii

A Minolta MD-II 1.7/50mm from 1979 is better at f1.7 than the Elmar at f11 ...

But of course it's fun to use an old Leica III and the 3.5/5cm Elmar. That's how i learned to take picture, at the age of 15 ...

Greez Wink
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

The Leitz Elmar 3.5/50mm certainly is a legend, but it is NOT a good lens at all. I have tested it - together with a few other vintage lenses from Leitz and Zeiss on a NEX-5N (16 MP APS-C):

http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/320-nex-5n-und-klassische-50mm-zeiss-leitz-objektive

Now look at Minolta normal lenses from the 1970-1980 area - they usually are dirt cheap and at the same time much better than the Elmar:

http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/322-nex-5n-und-minolta-50mm-objektive-teil-ii

A Minolta MD-II 1.7/50mm from 1979 is better at f1.7 than the Elmar at f11 ...

But of course it's fun to use an old Leica III and the 3.5/5cm Elmar. That's how i learned to take picture, at the age of 15 ...

Greez Wink
Steve

Stephan, that's a totally different story. Wink

However, those old Elmars are still sold for 200 to 400 Euros. That's crazy enough. If such a lens can be found for 2 Euros or even less then it would certainly be a big bargain. There is no doubt about that. But as I already found out, it's definitely no Elmar (as shown in my pictures above).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Yeah, sorry for the error. I realized it after I posted the message, then went back and corrected it, and for some reason a duplicate was made. I deleted all I could of the first one, leaving the second, which does mention Hungary, btw. So sorry for the oversight and good luck at your selling your lenses and stuff.

No problem, I thought that you were tired when you made the mistake. I am from Fullerton, California actually.
Birth place of the Fender guitar! I lived in Dallas, Texas for twelve years also.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I like Fullerton. I attended CSUF, got my BA and MA there. Fond memories of that school. And my '96 50th Anniversary Strat is one of my favorite guitars. And I see you were no doubt "Texanized" if you lived in Dallas that long. I was born and raised around Houston, TX, but spent the first quarter-century of my adult life in SoCal. I miss the place, but I don't miss the people -- way too many loonies have infested it now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several days ago, I mentioned here that I was the successful bidder on eBay for a Tamron SP 24-48 zoom. Paid 55GBP (about $86US) for it. It arrived yesterday. It is in almost mint condition, so I'm very happy I could get it for such a good price. I was really surprised at just how small it is! It's about the same size is my 24mm primes when fully retracted. My Vivitar Series 1 24-48 dwarfs it. In fact, the page on this zoom over at adaptall-2.org emphasizes its compactness by showing a comparison of equivalent, or close to equivalent optics:

http://adaptall-2.org/lenses/13A.html

The page also compares this zoom to the Minolta 24-50/4. I gotta say the Minolta definitely outperforms this Tamron, resolution-wise, but the Minolta Rokkor-X is uncommon and expensive. The Minolta AF 24-50 is much more common and cheaper, so it's a viable option for Sony alpha shooters. As for this Tamron, I'll have to see how it really does with my own cameras. On my NEX 7, it'll be a normal to short telephoto, so I'll have to use it with one of my film cameras to really tell the difference. I think I'll use it with the Canon FD mount. That way I can compare it against my FD 24/2.8 SSC, my FD-mount Vivitar 35/1.9, Canon 50/1.4 SSC, and my FD-mount Vivitar S1 24-48/3.8.

Stay tuned . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing ebay and saw a new listing, few seconds old, selling a Schacht 85mm f/2.8 for Exakta for 55 euros... I bought it, and I am actually very impressed by the lens. It's perfectly sharp wide open, has no CA, the bokeh is fantastic, it's really a big surprise. I have yet to test it more...

F/2.8 on Sony A7II:

100%:

Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:

Shocked

That crop is absolutely amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject is creepy but yes, the copy I got seems to be pretty awesome. I will take a walk with it this afternoon and post some results !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
The subject is creepy but yes, the copy I got seems to be pretty awesome. I will take a walk with it this afternoon and post some results !

Actually, I'm not at all certain what that critter is up to. I was referring to your lens' optical properties. Astounding detail.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, we both like the same lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey kryss, I wish mine would have come with that nice tulip hood, but it didn't. Maybe I'll be able to pick up a copy for not too much money on eBay.

A few days ago, I took a chance and bid on a Canon EF over at the Goodwill auction site. I ended up paying more than I wanted to -- $71 -- knowing that it was untested, and not having a very good experience at all with previous EFs I've bought recently (and then returned because they were dead).

Well, the EF arrived yesterday and today I stuffed some batteries in it and, hoping for the best but expecting the worst, I pushed in the battery check button and -- voila! It blinked! So I tried the slow (electronic) shutter speeds, and they worked too. Finally I checked the meter, and it responded to light as well. At last, I've found an EF that works! So, on balance, I guess $71 is not a bad deal, especially when comparing EFs that work on eBay. This Goodwill find is actually pretty clean. Very faint brassing on the corners and a couple of very small dings. Here's a photo of it. I mounted the lens for effect. I haven't cleaned it up yet, so it looks kind of grungy. But it should clean up fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not the "biggest bargain", but a nice find today at a flea market:

Asahi "Pentax S1", Super Takumar 1.4/50mm, Auto Takumar 2.2/55mm and Takumar 3.5/135mm from about 1961 (only the Super-Tak is from 1966) for CHF 25 (= EUR / USD 25)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevemark..... Nice S1.I have over 60 Pentax cameras Embarassed ...Why not? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Michael,should clean up great. I found amongst the few remaining remnants of my Canon FD era a very nice 28-50mm f3.5 S.S.C.Macro/CF. so I can compare it to the Tamron.The hood for the Tamron is extremely hard to find as is the front bayonet cap.I have had mine from new c/w all boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this can go here because it's no MF stuff

But today I bought:
- nikon D50 with 28-80mm lens
- sony a200 with 18-70 lens
For 45€
I know they are pretty old dslr's but I think the a200 would be fun to use old minolta AF lenses on Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
Not sure if this can go here because it's no MF stuff

Nah, it's ok. A good deal is a good deal and most all of us shoot digital too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Asahi "Pentax S1", Super Takumar 1.4/50mm, Auto Takumar 2.2/55mm and Takumar 3.5/135mm from about 1961 (only the Super-Tak is from 1966) for CHF 25 (= EUR / USD 25)

Another great deal! Great condition too.
I paid that much for the Super Takumar 50 f/1.4 alone! And was considered a good price here in the 'States.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Great find.
Was the 35mm f2.3 also part of the discovery?
If so, then a stupendous find I think
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see.....my latest LBA evidence:

I lost out on that Hexanon AR 135 f/3.2.....
but consoled myself with a Hexanon AR 135 f/3.5 AE for $3.50 USD. In perfect condition with rear cap and a UV filter.

A Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-Q 20cm f/4 for $6.50.

Vivitar 35mm f/2.8 by Komine in FD mount, for $9.
Vivitar 105mm f/2.8 T4 by Tokina w/Nikon F mount: $20.
Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 T4 by Tokina w/Miranda mount: $10.

Tokina RMC 28-70mm f/4 zoom: $8.
Not sure why I bought this since I have their AT-X 28-85 f/3.5-4.5, for $6.70.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:

but consoled myself with a Hexanon AR 135 f/3.5 AE for $3.50 USD. In perfect condition with rear cap and a UV filter.

Good deals!
Did you buy these on ebay?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
WNG555 wrote:

Good deals!
Did you buy these on ebay?

Yes, on evilBay. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a Praktica body, offered for 55 euros... With a nice Flektogon 35/2.4 on it ! The lens is brand new ! Twisted Evil