Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my MF lenses were a bargain relatively.
Instead of buying one AF full frame E-mount lens, I got a bunch of good to excellent MF Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Sigma lenses that cover 8mm to 500mm.
However, they're a bargain relatively because I'm getting tired of turning and turning and the focus rings ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronica Zenzanon 3.5/105 MC
Advertised for parts or repair as it had chip in the front element - buy it now - very low price.
Received no attention from watchers.
It is a wonderful lens - the chip has no influence on images that I take.
The rest of the lens is excellent.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple of Minoltas. An XG1 with 50 f2 for £10 in great condition but no battery so I couldn't test it. The shop have a 30 day no quibble returns policy and a six month warranty. So nothing to lose. I put in a pair of batteries and bingo it fired up. Nice!

The other 'bargain' is a Minolta Dynax 5 with 28-100 AF lens. Minoltas last film camera its well equipped but has a fault. I'm doing a separate post about it. £15 not too bad. If I cant get it working I will take it back.

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One bargain became expensive that drained some green from my lowly bank account.
Initially, I bought a $10 hand grip to make a camera gun. The grip came with a mechanical cable. To know how to work the cable,, I bought a film camera with lens,,, a longer lens to make the camera look more cool,,,, and then a hippy shoulder strap. Now,,,,, I'm looking for a longer cable. I'll probably look for a camera case after the longer cable to keep the dust off the camera. The flash is borrowed from a Nikon film camera purchased during my incurable compulsive shopping habit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikono wrote:
One bargain became expensive that drained some green from my lowly bank account.
Initially, I bought a $10 hand grip to make a camera gun. The grip came with a mechanical cable. To know how to work the cable,, I bought a film camera with lens,,, a longer lens to make the camera look more cool,,,, and then a hippy shoulder strap. Now,,,,, I'm looking for a longer cable. I'll probably look for a camera case after the longer cable to keep the dust off the camera. The flash is borrowed from a Nikon film camera purchased during my incurable compulsive shopping habit.

Haha it can get like that!

I bought a Minolta AF camera with some really nice lenses a couple of years ago. I ordered an adapter from ebay costing more than the bag full of Minolta gear. I'd sold most of it on before the adapter arrived. Rattling around in the drawer for ages I've now sent it to another member. The day I got this minolta with the 28-100 lens!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found the time to unwrap my latest addition(s):

(full resolution)

Back row:
Maginon-Serie 500mm f/8 (Minolta, preset)
Hanimex 200mm f/4.5 (M42, preset)
Travenar 135mm f/2.8 (Minolta MC)
Tokina RMC 35-105mm f/3.5-4.3 (Minolta MD)
Makinon 24-50mm f/3.3-4.5 (Minolta MD)
Soligor C/D 28mm f/2.8 (Minolta MD, Serial: 6xxxxxxxx = Komine?)

Front row:
Tamron SP 26A 35-210mm f/3.5-4.2 (Adaptall-2)
Minolta MD 200mm f/2.8
Minolta MC 100mm f/2.5 (incl. original hood)
Minolta MC 35mm f/1.8 (incl. original hood)
Minolta MC 50mm f/1.4

The rest:
2x Minolta X-700
Soligor MP Auto Tele Converter 2x (Minolta MD)
Komura Telemore95 II 7.k.m.c (Minolta MD)
Minolta scope converter
WeimarLux Nova light meter
Gossen Lunasix

I only wanted the Minolta 200/2.8 but the seller didn't want to sell it separately.
340€ for the lot seemed like a good price...

Good thing Saturnalia is coming up, I've got lenses to test.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, that is a very impressive Minolta collection you've, erm, collected.

I've been hanging out at ShopGoodwill.com lately. There really are some good deals that go through that site. But today I decided to spend some money.

I bought an assortment that included a Canon AE-1, a couple of cheapo lenses, and a few flashes, for $23. I bought the outfit because one of the flashes is a Nikon SB24, a perfect companion for my Nikon F4S. I hope it works. The rest of the stuff, I'll blow out for cheap on eBay. I'll probably make money off the deal and get the SB24 for free.

Next I bought a Pentax K2 outfit -- a K2 camera with a Tamron 28-105 AF lens. I like the old K2 -- sort of the equivalent to the Nikkormat ES or the Canon EF. I'll sell the Tamron. I don't have any AF Pentax gear. I paid $35 for the outfit. The lens sells on eBay for between $50 and $75, so once again, I'll get the camera for free and I'll have made a small profit from the transaction.

And one of my all-time favorites -- a very clean Canon F-1 with Winder F and 50/1.4 SSC, plus a Spiratone 500mm preset. I value the outfit at $365. I paid $166 for it. I'll keep the F-1 and the winder, and since I don't need three old F-1s, I'll sell one of my others, the one with the most wear (which isn't much), which I should be able to get $150 for, easy. I'll sell the 50/1.4 SSC (I already have two, I don't need another) and I'll sell the Spiratone. I figure I can get a total of about $275 for the three items. So $109 profit on the deal, and I get to keep the winder and a very clean looking F-1. Hopefully everything works -- touch wood.

Finally, there was a very clean Nikon FE (black) with MD-12 motor drive and a pre-AI 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor, plus a huge Sunpak 622 strobe. It cost me $100 even. I'm keeping the FE -- it will replace the one that was heavily damaged when I had a catastrophic collapse of shelves of my photo gear a couple weeks ago -- and I'm selling everything else. I figure I can get about $200 for the rest of the stuff. Again, assuming everything works.

So, here's the math: 60 - 23, 60 - 35, 275 - 166, 200 - 100. Or $595 - 324 = $271 profit, and I get to keep a bunch of cool gear! For free! How's that for bargains?

Being able to make money off this stuff is the only way I can justify buying it, you know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Being able to make money off this stuff is the only way I can justify buying it, you know.

Uh-huh!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

No but really

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feeling a bit guilty about this one but a local ad popped for a Minolta kit. a one picture type ad with very little info, the two lenses I could barely make out was a cheap zoom and a 20mm 2.8 AF, so I negotiated with the guy and he agreed to let me have it for about $140, which just for the 20mm is a really good price.

I had no idea what was install for me:) the other lenses where another zoom with broken aperture, a 100mm macro and the best out of the bunch a 35mm 1.4...... I had so much adrenaline running through me when I Saw it I could barely keep my cool!!

I don't own a Sony cam as I was only buying it for resale value but I'm seriously considering picking one up as I don't think I'll come across these lenses soon again;)

another lucky find was a dallmeyer 50mm triple C mount lens that was included with an ARCO 8mm camera I bought for $25. I didn't even realise it was there as the picture was bad and all I wanted from the kit was the ARCO 38mm 1.4 lens that I want to convert to MFT. I has a D mount adapter stuck firmly in place, but I'll get it off eventually!

Last edited by Layer-cake on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:13 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very clean olympus zuiko 35mm F2 mc & 85mm f2 (1version) for 45euros Wink
the focus ring need to be cleaned but still fully usable

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of the four purchases I made mention of above, two have arrived -- the Pentax K2 and the AE-1 and stuff. The K2 is very clean; everything works. The Tamron lens it came with is a PK Autofocus lens, and typical of a used Tamron with some miles on it, something's loose inside. But it's still usable as a MF lens, and 28-200 is a decent coverage, so I might just keep it instead of reselling it.

The AE-1 is in very clean shape except for the busted battery door. There's a guy on eBay that sells small parts like this and I ordered a new door from him. Cost me about six bucks, so not so bad. Everything else in the kit is very clean. The two ProSpec lenses are close to mint, and it came with a Nikon SB-24 flash, which I immediately inserted on to my F4 to give it a try-out (the F4 likes it Cool ) and also another flash that I wasn't paying any attention to is a Minolta 3200i. Well, when I saw its proprietary Minolta foot, I realized that my NEX 7 might like it, so I tried it out on the NEX. Well, definitely no TTL, but it syncs the camera to flash sync speed at least. I did some googling and found out the 3200i was introduced in 1988, so it's old tech for the Minolta Maxxum/Sony Alpha system. The flash has a high and low setting only. I've determined that for most indoor uses, the low setting will give me good exposure, whereas the high setting is more useful for outdoor work. So that was an unexpected boon. I was anticipating keeping only the SB-24 out of that batch.

And most recently, a Canon FTb I won at auction at shopgoodwill arrived -- a few days ago. This camera is mint mint mint! Everything works. And best of all, I paid $13 for it!

I have a few other orders that should be arriving this week. I'll let y'all know if there are any other exceptional deals.

Last edited by cooltouch on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up this Gitzo table tripod for £15 from a second hand shop. Beautifully made and stove enamelled its in mint condition. perfect for displaying my cameras. Although unsteady with the Leica attached - the tripod socket on its end. They are selling for £40+ on ebay.

soz for crap photos shot on my new Casio digital, found in a skip a few days ago. Another bargain!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many of you know, I was given a Bronica ETRs some time ago with some lenses.
Recently I found a Zenzanon EII 8/500 which has some potential.
Here 'tis
OH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, Oldhand, when you get the chance, would you please do an evaluation of that bazooka with plenty of pics? Please? I've been jonesin' for one of them for a while now for my ETRSi. KEH has one, but it's about $500 or so, just too rich for my blood right now.

Yesterday I got two more shipments in from shopgoodwill participants, and man-O-man, am I stoked!

One auction was for a black Nikon FE with MD12, a pre-AI 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor that had been professionally AI'd by someone other than Nikon, and a ginormous Sunpak Auto 622 Pro System flash. The FE looks unused -- even the bottom plate is clean. The MD12 is in just as nice of a condition. The old 24mm is easily Exc+ condition, and the Sunpak is in decent shape, all told.

The other auction was for a Canon F-1 -- the second version of the original model -- with Winder F. Attached to the F-1 was a 50mm f/1.4 SSC. The auction also included a Spiratone "Sharpshooter" 400mm f/6.3 preset lens. Everything in this outfit is in mint or close to mint condition. I have seen lots of old F-1s in my life, but I have never seen one as pristine as this one is. The Winder F and the 50/1.4 are in just as nice of condition.

I wish I could say I'm keeping all this stuff, but I'm not. Or at least, I may keep it, but things I already own will get sold. The pre-AI 24mm Nikkor is for sale, and the Sunpak will be as well, as soon as I verify that it works. I'm keeping the MD-12, but I'll probably be selling my old one. I dunno. I may keep it for an FE2 I have on order. As for the Canon gear, the Spiratone 400mm is definitely going up for sale. I'll probably put up another 50mm f/1.4 SSC I have for sale, and keep this one. Oh, and I've got a clean old F-1 that I'll be selling as well. I don't need two of them. Wait a minute -- come to think of it, I have three of them now. Recently I picked up a 55mm f/1.2 SSC with an old F-1 attached for less than what the camera was worth. So that's two F-1s I'll be able to sell. One's already up on eBay. The other will go up tomorrow, I guess.

The FE will replace the one that was severely damaged when my equipment shelves collapsed. My F-1 escaped major injury, but the winder's shutter button popped off and I haven't been able to find it. Once I do, the winder will likely go on the auction block as well -- provided it still works, that is.

As I mentioned in a previous message, my plan is to make money at this little game. It's the only way I can afford to play anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Say, Oldhand, when you get the chance, would you please do an evaluation of that bazooka with plenty of pics? Please? I've been jonesin' for one of them for a while now for my ETRSi. KEH has one, but it's about $500 or so, just too rich for my blood right now.

Yesterday I got two more shipments in from shopgoodwill participants, and man-O-man, am I stoked!

One auction was for a black Nikon FE with MD12, a pre-AI 24mm f/2.8 Nikkor that had been professionally AI'd by someone other than Nikon, and a ginormous Sunpak Auto 622 Pro System flash. The FE looks unused -- even the bottom plate is clean. The MD12 is in just as nice of a condition. The old 24mm is easily Exc+ condition, and the Sunpak is in decent shape, all told.

The other auction was for a Canon F-1 -- the second version of the original model -- with Winder F. Attached to the F-1 was a 50mm f/1.4 SSC. The auction also included a Spiratone "Sharpshooter" 400mm f/6.3 preset lens. Everything in this outfit is in mint or close to mint condition. I have seen lots of old F-1s in my life, but I have never seen one as pristine as this one is. The Winder F and the 50/1.4 are in just as nice of condition.

I wish I could say I'm keeping all this stuff, but I'm not. Or at least, I may keep it, but things I already own will get sold. The pre-AI 24mm Nikkor is for sale, and the Sunpak will be as well, as soon as I verify that it works. I'm keeping the MD-12, but I'll probably be selling my old one. I dunno. I may keep it for an FE2 I have on order. As for the Canon gear, the Spiratone 400mm is definitely going up for sale. I'll probably put up another 50mm f/1.4 SSC I have for sale, and keep this one. Oh, and I've got a clean old F-1 that I'll be selling as well. I don't need two of them. Wait a minute -- come to think of it, I have three of them now. Recently I picked up a 55mm f/1.2 SSC with an old F-1 attached for less than what the camera was worth. So that's two F-1s I'll be able to sell. One's already up on eBay. The other will go up tomorrow, I guess.

The FE will replace the one that was severely damaged when my equipment shelves collapsed. My F-1 escaped major injury, but the winder's shutter button popped off and I haven't been able to find it. Once I do, the winder will likely go on the auction block as well -- provided it still works, that is.

As I mentioned in a previous message, my plan is to make money at this little game. It's the only way I can afford to play anymore.

Happy to Michael.
If anything like its Zenzanon cousins it should be good.
That lens is in transit ATM but was a bargain IMHO as it was obtained at a pre-Xmouse "make an offer" sale.
Nowhere near the KEH prices either.
I have inquired from KEH on two past occasions about other lenses, but they have a very expensive postage option for posting to Australia which they refuse to change, even though the actual postal cost is around one third of the shipping charge that they attach to the item - so no business from me.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I didn't realize until you mentioned it you're from Oz. Well, I tell you what. It's a fairly common situation here at the forum for folks to help out other folks when it comes to matters of shipping and such. I've helped out a couple of other members across the pond when eBayers wouldn't ship overseas, so we arranged for them to ship to me, then I shipped the items onward. Actually, I've done this with Calvin, also, come to think of it. So if, in the future, you see something you want from KEH, let one of us from the US know, and we'll check on best rates for you, and then you can decide what you want to do.

Of course, this offer is extended to anyone else that may feel the need, as well. Who knows, there may be a situation where I'll want to order something from Oz, knowing I can get a better deal on shipping. So far, I've dealt only with sellers from the UK, China, and Japan. I've found that all three of these countries tend to have quite reasonable shipping rates. Cheaper than US shipping to those countries, in fact, I'm sad to admit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Michael for your offer.
Shipping from Oz isn't cheap either I'm afraid.
You can get some idea from the Australia Post website, but it does need some clarifying.
For example all parcels are charged by mass in 500g increments. In each category of postage there are different limits on maximum total mass of the parcel.
eg
a parcel up to 500g via Air Mail to the United States is $14.10. Maximum allowance via air-mail is 20kg but the cost of a 20kg parcel via air-mail is $339.50 with lots of variations in between 500g-20kg.

There are eight different postal delivery choices for the USA alone:

Express Courier International Platinum

Express Courier International Merchandise

Express Courier International Documents

Express Post International

Pack and Track International

Registered Post International

Air Mail

Sea Mail

............ and within each section, different options are available like tracking or signature on delivery or insurance - these cost extra.

Details are available on this website:

http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html

OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I found it - it has pretty much found me, but as of today I am a happy owner of near mint Kiron 105 in Nikon mount. It was free Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not terribly expensive, I'm embarrassed to say how much, but in almost mint condition, hardly a scratch, speeds and everything fantastic working as new. now I must find a lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, beautiful, Phil. Well, I for one would like to know how much this embarassing figure is. Perhaps just so I can dream of having equally good fortune.

Speaking of good fortune, my lasted shipment from Goodwill arrived today. I've been waiting on this one, seems like forever, because of the Christmas and New Years breaks slowing everything down. It's a black Nikon FE2. Came with a pair of Soligor lenses -- a 70-210/4.5 and a 28-70/3.5-4.5, plus a nice little bonus -- a Nikon SB-15 flash, which provides TTL automation with the FE2.

I've had some really good luck lately. First a very clean FE, then a close-to-mint Canon F-1, then a mint FTb, most recently a mint Nikon N80. That was part of a Lester Dine outfit I sniped on eBay before anybody else saw it, near as I can figure. I don't think that Lester Dine outfit has ever been used. It's complete with the Kiron (aka Dine) 105/2.8 Macro, the Yuzo (aka Dine) ring flash with a dedicated Nikon module, and the N80. Comes with all documentation, too. All in a neat little case. And now this -- again an outfit that looks like it was never used. The Soligors are mint, as is the SB-15. There are just a few tiny marks on the FE2 that prevent it from being mint. Cost me $65 with shipping included. I'm keeping the FE2, of course, but selling everything else. I don't need the SB-15 -- I have an SB-24 that's even more capable. By the time the dust settles, I may not have gotten the FE2 for free, but I'm gonna come real close.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fortunate find - well done Michael.
There are pictures over in Best of lenses gallery for the Bronica Zenzanon 8/500 EII taken today. Will add to them as time passes.
OH
http://forum.mflenses.com/bronica-zenzanon-8-500-eii-t69565.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I got this lens posted here http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1421447.html#1421447 for $20.00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Very fortunate find - well done Michael.
There are pictures over in Best of lenses gallery for the Bronica Zenzanon 8/500 EII taken today. Will add to them as time passes.
OH
http://forum.mflenses.com/bronica-zenzanon-8-500-eii-t69565.html

Very interesting. Sharp photos, and the bokeh look almost like brush strokes in the several photos of flowers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my latest auction victory at shopgoodwill arrived yesterday. It's a chrome Minolta XD11. Cost me $31. Back when I was a camera dealer during the late 80s, I owned one but didn't have it long enough to appreciate it fully. Back then, a friend of mine at the time, who was also a camera dealer, delivered an impromptu lecture on the XD-11, passing along some information that most people perhaps aren't aware of.

The XD-11 was the most advanced 35mm camera on the market when it was introduced in 1977. It was the platform for Leica's R4 and subsequent models, as a result of Leica's and Minolta's shared technology agreement. It didn't hold this top dog position for long, however, being dethroned by Canon's A-1, which was released the following year -- the first ever camera with a fully programmed auto mode. But here's where it gets interesting. In actuality, the XD-11 was the first camera with a fully programmed auto mode. Even though it offers only Shutter and Aperture priority selections, it has an undocumented feature where, if the shutter speed selected is deemed by the camera to be too low, thus causing camera-shake, it will automatically bias the shutter speed to a higher selection, and then adjust the aperture as necessary to account for this, to insure a more usable image. Which means that the XD-11 was the first camera to select both shutter speeds and apertures based on exposure information. My friend knew about this because he was also a camera repair tech, so he got to see how they actually operated.

Anyway, this little nugget has always intrigued me such that I've kind of wanted another XD11 for my personal collection. A black one would be nice, but this chrome one is beautiful condition. Essentially no wear anywhere. There's one tiny bright mark on the base and that's all I can find. I don't have much Minolta glass right now. I have an old MC 50/1.7 I've used as a loupe for years, and I have a 135/2.8 I picked up about a year ago that has a hazy rear element. Maybe I should just pick up a Minolta adaptall-2 mount for my Tamrons. Another Minolta piece I owned as a camera dealer was a MC Rokkor 16mm f/2.8 full-frame fisheye. What a lens! Wish I still had it, too.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total