Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC 24mm 3.5 - Why!!!!! did I do a test partern test.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: SMC 24mm 3.5 - Why!!!!! did I do a test partern test. Reply with quote

This Lens takes good pictures.....have a look for yourself

....BUT having done a test pattern test and seen the soft bent edges...has somehow warped my view of this lens.

Guys, how do I rewire my brain...help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never judge a lens until you've used it in anger Wink

Saying that, even from these small size samples, the corners do look a bit soft. What aperture were you shooting at?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Never judge a lens until you've used it in anger Wink

Saying that, even from these small size samples, the corners do look a bit soft. What aperture were you shooting at?

Mixed depending on the scene, cant remember.....the forest was probably wide open 3.5

PS. A LOT of detail is lost when shrinking to 20% for the forum post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see the test pattern photo! Wink

None of these look to be in focus. Maybe the parts of the grass reflections in #1 are in focus.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to shoot landscapes at least f8 for this reason. i think you will be much happier stopped down in 8-11 range.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Saying that, even from these small size samples, the corners do look a bit soft.
Agreed.

Sorry, saffersteve. Not sure you can "rewire" your way around this one. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the other hand, do you spend your time shooting targets or landscapes? You can always put a nekkid lady in the middle of each shot and nobody will look in the corners Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i tend to shoot landscapes at least f8 for this reason. i think you will be much happier stopped down in 8-11 range.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
on the other hand, do you spend your time shooting targets or landscapes? You can always put a nekkid lady in the middle of each shot and nobody will look in the corners Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame user error during your test photo shoot. That said, I agree that the focus seems soft on many of the trees' leaves and such. When you took the test shots, did you use live view and zoom in to verify focus?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

That's where I've been going wrong, I like your thinking. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 different issues here. i totally agree 'real life' trumps shooting 'test patterns'. i actually believe test patterns are a waste of my time. having said that, steve is not getting good real life results from this lens, based on these shots.

so yes, real life over dumb targets, but there are things you can do to get the most out of real life. my experience is infinity shots wide open are always soft and often seem out of focus, as these do. wide open is for macro, portraits or specific effects, not generally for infinity or landscapes. these shots require f8-11 (16) and more focus on focus!