Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New purchase. Vivitar 500mm f/8 Pre-set. 5XXXX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: New purchase. Vivitar 500mm f/8 Pre-set. 5XXXX Reply with quote

Saw it on Ebay and followed it for several days. No bids so I bid and won.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=110603925519&si=TEVTnhLDVvh4D%252Fpadquep4g9gWU%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Actually a very nice early to mid 60's lens.

My photos to follow soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent deal, nice one!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling it could be a big lens and probably weighs more than Graham.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Excellent deal, nice one!

I have to disassemble it and remove some mold but it really is in good shape. Another niche in my collection filled.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I get the feeling it could be a big lens and probably weighs more than Graham.

About 18-20 inches long and the weight will be high. I'll take it to work tonight and use the precision scales there, then add all the info to the Lens Data base here.....

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmI1YOvKt90RdGdfYmtONlBPVmZOQVJaUWdLbXZnREE&hl=en&authkey=CIWts9UO#gid=63

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay wrote:

Interesting find! I didn't know that Vivitar had a 500/8 that wasn't a mirror... I had thought that all of the 500mm presets were the f/5.6 versions like mine:

The two lenses appear to be significantly different... do you know who made yours?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent score, Dawg. Eager to see photos of it and photos made with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna guess Komine because of the aperture rings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent deal Dawg. Ebay ain't anything like what it used to be, but deals can still be had if one is patient and persistent.
I remember some poster remarking that you must have "deep pockets," after seeing your collection.
I laughed at that because I know that you are the expert at sniffing out really cheap deals. .99 cent lenses. Congratulations.
Keep it up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Interesting find! I didn't know that Vivitar had a 500/8 that wasn't a mirror... I had thought that all of the 500mm presets were the f/5.6 versions like mine:

The two lenses appear to be significantly different... do you know who made yours?

They are different. There is a 500 f/6.3 as well as this 500mm f/8.

Pre 1970 (This one is from 1966 as far as I can tell) your guess is as good as any.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Excellent score, Dawg. Eager to see photos of it and photos made with it.

That will happen in a day or so.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I'm gonna guess Komine because of the aperture rings.

Could be.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Excellent deal Dawg. Ebay ain't anything like what it used to be, but deals can still be had if one is patient and persistent.
I remember some poster remarking that you must have "deep pockets," after seeing your collection.
I laughed at that because I know that you are the expert at sniffing out really cheap deals. .99 cent lenses. Congratulations.
Keep it up.

Thanks Jeff. Patience and persistence is the only way to shop The Bay. I've gone the buy it now route a few times but usually I will wait it out to see how high one will go to see if it gets higher than my common sense will allow me to bid. I pass on hundreds before I finally bid on one.