Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

More San Francisco shots, this time with Osawa MC 80-205mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: More San Francisco shots, this time with Osawa MC 80-205mm Reply with quote

Some more shots taken in San Francisco.

This time, I took an Osawa MC 80-205mm AI lens with my D300. I also bought this on ebay US, for about $10 + shipping. Given the price I didn't expect much from it, but some of the pictures really surprised me.

They've been fine-tuned a bit for contrast and light, because the conditions with all the fog were pretty difficult. I think the lens did a fairly decent job.

The ballerina was a lucky shot - they were taking pictures there, too. Only realized she was looking at me later when I uploaded the picture on my computer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full set of my SF photos on flickr is here btw:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaotisch/sets/72157624743041601/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, beautiful ballerina
thanks for sharing those San Francisco views

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: More San Francisco shots, this time with Osawa MC 80-205 Reply with quote

makaistd wrote:
This time, I took an Osawa MC 80-205mm AI lens with my D300. I also bought this on ebay US, for about $10 + shipping. Given the price I didn't expect much from it, but some of the pictures really surprised me.

They've been fine-tuned a bit for contrast and light, because the conditions with all the fog were pretty difficult. I think the lens did a fairly decent job.

It is great that you shared these! Osawa lenses seem to have a mixed reputation, mostly settling out as "average quality", but with very few reviews in general. So a positive review (with samples!) is definitely good to see. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I've been out on the streets this morning again for a bit, and did some more photos. It's a bright sunny day today, so not the easiest conditions for taking photos. I had to do some corrections afterwards, as all the images were a bit too bright and didn't have enough contrast. But apart from that and a little cropping here and there, those are not much PP'd.

I used the macro mode for the last two:

these are a few samples - more shots with the Osawa are on my flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaotisch/tags/osawa80205mm/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
poilu wrote:

+1

+1

Best picture in series Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

Yeah, so after playing even more with it (more pictures coming to my flickr stream soon, let me know if I should also share more samples here), I think it's worth the $10 I paid for it. It sure has its limits, end compared to the Takuma 135 creates less sharp and more worn-out images that need some PP to look better.

But under "controlled" conditions, it's definitely usable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
karabud wrote:
poilu wrote:

+1

+1

Best picture in series Smile

+1000

Extraordinary photograph imho. The movement stopped at just the right moment. Very pretty girl, limber, look how her ankle is twisted. Aware of her surroundings, looking straight at camera. Young, but with a touch of wisdom in her joyous expression. Obvious she loves dancing, she's very good, perfect hand positions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice words Smile sometimes you just need a little bit of luck, and be at the right place at the right time...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makaistd wrote:
Thanks Smile

Yeah, so after playing even more with it (more pictures coming to my flickr stream soon, let me know if I should also share more samples here), I think it's worth the $10 I paid for it. It sure has its limits, end compared to the Takuma 135 creates less sharp and more worn-out images that need some PP to look better.

But under "controlled" conditions, it's definitely usable.

But the ballerina girl shots works as it's very good and people overlook any faults, and if anyone mentions a better zoom going cheap then up goes the price on the bay