Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I have learned to focus my Spiratone 400/6.3 ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: I have learned to focus my Spiratone 400/6.3 ... Reply with quote

... and it is suddenly a much better lens. The trick is this: wear your 2x reading glasses when focusing your cameras, you idiot (me)!
I shot these with the 400 aboard my renovated SP1000, whose meter reads like a champ.

1/15@6.3, rested on sandbag:

1/60@6.3, rested on sandbag:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo! Very Happy The lens is performing for you now! There are 2X eyepiece diopters available for the SP1000...

Does your lens include "Sharpshooter" on the name ring? I have 5 of these Shocked (leftovers from sirius LBA); 3 are "Sharpshooter"s, but I cannot detect any other differences.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sharpshooter it is ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I have learned to focus my Spiratone 400/6.3 ... Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
1/15@6.3, rested on sandbag:

1/15! Shocked

You're pretty brave to shoot those kind of shutter speeds on film. I do it all the time on digital, but my success rate is pretty low, so I have to take a lot of shots to compensate. With film, I would have to shoot a third of a roll to guarantee that I got one that was sharp! Shocked

I might have to give this sandbag technique a try...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the non 'Sharpshooter" branded 400mm F6.3 Spiratone.They do take some getting used to .Optically they are much better than their price would indicate, but it's really a simple optical formula. Can't go wrong with it. Sure there are others out there that will be better, but at a much larger cost. I need to use mine more often. Liked your samples !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Fish!! You get some good reflections on that water....I heard the more "color" (can't think of the correct name..like tannin??) from off of the vegetation that leeches into the water the better the reflections.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin is the correct term and spelling.
That house and boat are about 250 yards from my front deck rail where I took the shot off a fat sandbag. It is big enough to really snug more than half the lens and the camera bottom.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples Fish. I was hoping I could handhold mine,but it looks like it's a tripod only lens.
I really need to give mine a try.