Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 500mm f/8 ED Preset - now with examples :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Samyang 500mm f/8 ED IF MC Preset any good ?
Yes, for it's money
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
No, don't bother
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
I haven't tested it
80%
 80%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Samyang 500mm f/8 ED Preset - now with examples :) Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I've been recently interested in this specific lens from Samyang, after I've been nicely pleased by their 85/1.4 and 8/3.5 fisheye.

However, this looks like an upgrade to the already existing 500mm f/8 preset 4 element version, which has been sold under numerous names and brands and which quality - while good enough for it's price suffers from some chromatic aberrations. Some examples here (pbase link)

Can anyone please post (or link to) photos with the 5 element, ED, white version of this ?

Thanks for reading Smile

Last edited by solar_sea on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A discussion and samples here....

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://canon-board.info/showthread.php%3Ft%3D48319&ei=kt6nS7vqBZKIswPBkamUDQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CB8Q7gEwBzgK&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSamyang%2B500mm%2Bf/8%2BED%2BPreset%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_enUS339US339

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know they had updated this lens too, it seems to be actually pretty good and more in line with their more recent designs.

It's still a slow tube of a lens overall but the image quality looks pretty impressive to me! It's probably better than most of the 500mm mirror lenses around.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good! Thank you for sharing with us these samples!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the samples. I got the same link when I wrote to samsung.pl from their site's contact form.

The results look really nice to me, especially when having in mind it's price.

The only serious issue that I see is purple fringing / aberration, but it's easy to deal with using hue setting in any photo editing app.

I've already ordered one based impressions from those samples, it should be here in a week or two.

Still, any other links/photos will be appreciated too I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solar_sea wrote:
Thanks for the samples. I got the same link when I wrote to samsung.pl from their site's contact form.

The results look really nice to me, especially when having in mind it's price.

The only serious issue that I see is purple fringing / aberration, but it's easy to deal with using hue setting in any photo editing app.

I've already ordered one based impressions from those samples, it should be here in a week or two.

Still, any other links/photos will be appreciated too I believe.

Share with us your result when you get it, I also interest about your other Samyangs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got it and I must say I'm impressed. It's made of metal and has a very solid feel to it. The tripod foot is plastic, but is removable.

Here are the first two somewhat successful shots with it that I made. The conditions were awful in both, no tripod at all, very hi iso and bad light. But still I'm able to recognize the object and make a suitable print Smile

note: they are both crops from the original frames. Here are the originals

Common starling @ 2000 iso + built-in flash:

By solar_sea at 2010-04-09

Jay @ 800 iso

By solar_sea at 2010-04-09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your samples look pretty good!

Do you happen to have a photo of the lens itself?

Also, where can you purchase this lens, and how much do they cost?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos here are accurate but do not give hint of the actual size. It's long, but it's diameter is rather small. 67mm filter thread in the front, it gets down to about 55mm mm width for the rest of the tube.

I got it from a local importer for about 150 usd.

He was told by Samyang that they were discontinuing this model and will continue to produce only the basic 4 element one, probably due to requirement from re-branders like Opteka. But they still have some in stock Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic is of an older date, but I thought that perhaps adding a link to a review I did would do no harm:
http://www.slapo.net/index/obsah/notes/noteid/10

For those who just want a few samples:
The next three have been shot at F8, ISO 800, 1/500s and the full frame is displayed:

F11:

Last edited by slapo on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, either I have made a mistake or phpBB is making fun of me Sad

EDIT: seems to work OK after leaving the thread and coming back again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapo wrote:

Welcome to the forum! To aviod spam, no photo is allowed on the first post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
slapo wrote:

Welcome to the forum! To aviod spam, no photo is allowed on the first post.

Thanks Smile

So that's what was happening.

I've been lurking around for some time, I just haven't posted anything before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solar_sea wrote:
I finally got it and I must say I'm impressed. It's made of metal and has a very solid feel to it. The tripod foot is plastic, but is removable.

Here are the first two somewhat successful shots with it that I made. The conditions were awful in both, no tripod at all, very hi iso and bad flashlight. But still I'm able to recognize the object and make a suitable print Smile

note: they are both crops from the original frames. at 2010-04-09

If you do not charge the lights are low and the light is shining upon color.