Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

34.5mm Filters, Adapters, & Hoods?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: 34.5mm Filters, Adapters, & Hoods? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever come across a source for 34.5mm filters, filter adapters, or hoods? Question

34.5mm was a size Nikon used on some of their rangefinder lenses, as well as at least one of their enlarger lenses. Google searches say that all of these were available at one time, including oddball adapters (M39 & M52 reversing adapters, M52 filter adapters, etc.), but they seem to be quite rare.

Here is one mention of how some were sold, with some pictures:
http://www.destoutz.ch/acc_body_telescope-adapter.html
http://www.destoutz.ch/accessories_lens_filters_nkk_chrome.html

Searching on Ebay comes up with a few lens caps, but no filters or other accessories. Even B&H, KEH, and Adorama are coming up empty...

Thanks. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking at the kodak filter system for the retinas etc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mo. Did Kodak also use a 34.5mm filter thread, or does Kodak have a different system that might work?

I had thought about those "universal" filters that were used on some of the vintage lenses- the ones that have spring loaded clips and clip over the outside... but my lens doesn't have enough of a lip for one of those to hold on... Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the numbers I see for Kodak system threads:

Series IV: 20.8mm
Series 4.5: 25.5mm
Series V: 30.2mm
Series 5.5: 35.9mm
Series VI: 41.3mm
Series VII: 50.8mm
Series 7.5: 57mm
Series VIII: 63.5mm

Nothing around 34.5mm. I have some lenses nearby at 35mm: (Argus) Enna Sandmar 35/4.5, Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5; and an Industar-50 at 33mm; and an (Argus) Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 at 31mm; and a Leitz Elmar 90/4 at 34mm. But absolutely nothing at 34.5mm. Damn Kodak!

About those Series threads: I have some filter adapters marked "Kodak Series 6" whose threaded components have a diameter around 44-44.5mm, which number doesn't match any of the other Kodak data. Thus am I thoroughly confused. As it happens, I've been trying to adapt an (Argus) Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 to M42, and that Series 6 front ring just might be the thing to hold the Sandmar's knurled ring. so I' now looking for a 42-44mm step ring. Maybe it will even fit...

I've found a (very) few odd thread step rings on eBay. Someone here said that a 42-43mm would be just right for adapting a Sandmar. So I ordered one from Singapore a couple months ago. After a month, no show. I emailed the seller, who sent another one, and it arrived today. Two months. And it doesn't fit the Tele-Sandmar. Grrr... So I punched a hole in a Pentax body cap and contact-glued it to the lens and now I have a sweet tiny 100mm to play with.

The moral of this story is: When all else fails, IMPROVISE.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to some big camera repair shop like this one. They may have the filter step ring avaliable or you can ask them to make one for you. The thread pitch of your nikon rangefinder lens is 0.5mm.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best bet is to find the correct Series V or VI adapter - I tried to find some third party filters I'd bought for the Retina, as Kodak's '32mm' isn't actually that... unfortunately I don't know where I have them!

If you don't find a screw in that fits, you might find a push-on that fits - or can be made to fit by bending in the prongs a bit.

Once you find that, all the series bits fit onto the adapter - shades, filters etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone.

mo helped me figure out some of the details of the "Series" filter system, and I was able to locate a seller on ebay who had a few 34.5mm Series VI adapters from buying out an old camera store. So I was able to pick up a few of the adapters (plus some filters & hoods) from ebay. Cool I was a bit hesitant to start a new "system" of filters, but most of my other filters are 62mm, so it was going to take a pretty hefty step-up ring (or set of step-up rings)! I pretty much would have been buying new filters anyway, just to keep the sizes down.

The Series VI filters are just a touch bigger than the 34.5mm lens filter threads, so even with the adapter, I don't think I will have any problems with vignetting. It's actually a pretty close match for sizing, so I'm happy with the find. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking at the kodak filter system for the retinas etc but if you dont find it there i know for sure the walmart photshop have them there so you should try checking there too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxronax wrote:
Try looking at the kodak filter system for the retinas etc but if you dont find it there i know for sure the walmart photshop have them there so you should try checking there too.

I'd need an expensive airplane ticket to visit a walmart. Very Happy Do they really stock these odd filter sizes?? Shocked