Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

quantaray 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: quantaray 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anybody here has any experience with the Quantaray 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5?

As I recall, Quantaray was the house brand for the Ritz Camera store chain here in the US, and I suspect the lenses have been available under other brand names besides Q-Ray. I owned a few of these lenses back in my camera dealer days. Never used them, but they appeared to be reasonaby well made.

So, I'm browsing around on eBay today and I run across the Q-Ray 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom and it occurs to me that this lens is only one half stop away from being a straight f/2.8 zoom. Which causes me to wonder if it might just be worth picking up a copy, since more than likely it's priced fairly cheaply. And it is, based on the few auctions I came across.

But before I part with my money on a whim, I'd rather ask you guys for impressions. Hopefully somebody here has had a chance to use one.

Here's an example:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that this maker simply rebranded Sigma lenses...I'm sure Pbfacts will be along shortly to correct me though Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I had tried a search on eBay for just 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5 and didn't get any hits. Tried googling this same info but with Sigma just now, and got some hits, including:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=248

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/88616-sigma-75-200mm-f2-8-3-5-pka-pentax.html

It's the same lens. This is helpful. Some reviews above where people seem to like it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I feel like a REAL lens geek now Laughing Glad you found the info, let us know how you get on with it Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I was under the impression that this maker simply rebranded Sigma lenses...I'm sure Pbfacts will be along shortly to correct me though Laughing

Yes but not only !

This 75/200 is clearly a sigma

cooltouch wrote:
I run across the Q-Ray 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom and it occurs to me that this lens is only one half stop away from being a straight f/2.8 zoom.

Beware : at that period sigma lens TRUE (T) opening could be perfectly correct or perfectly false : ie the 80/200 2.8-3.5 was in fact a 3.5/5.6 !!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

Beware : at that period sigma lens TRUE (T) opening could be perfectly correct or perfectly false : ie the 80/200 2.8-3.5 was in fact a 3.5/5.6 !!!!!

So, not only is the lens slower wide open than it states, but instead of losing 1/2 stop from 75 to 200, it loses 1.5 stops? ??? Geez, a little truth in advertising, please!

Or are you stating that, while the f stops might be accurate, the T-stops (actual light value being passed by the optics) showed a much different picture?

Still aggravating none the less. Reminds me of a Korean-made Kalimar zoom I picked up years ago, and I was intrigued by it because it was a 28-200 f/3.5 -- constant aperture. Supposedly. Yet when peering through the viewfinder, as I would zoom out, I could see the meter needle drop, indicating a loss of at least 1 stop of light. So it was more like a 3.5-5.6. That ticked me off as well.

Currently, my fastest mf optic at 200mm is f/4.5 -- my Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 zoom. I guess, in my pursuit for a "fast" but cheap optic at 200mm, unless I fall into a deal on a 200/2.8 or 80-200/2.8, which is doubtful, I should just pick up one of the old Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5s or one of the Vivitar 200mm f/3.5s They're tried and proven, a known value, and good lenses to boot. Seems like, if they're in Nikon mount, though, people think they've found gold. Same with M42 these days as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

So, not only is the lens slower wide open than it states, but instead of losing 1/2 stop from 75 to 200, it loses 1.5 stops? ??? Geez, a little truth in advertising, please!

I was speaking of tested sigma 80-200 2.8/3.5 NOT your 75-200 2.8/3.5 ... I do not know about your lens.

cooltouch wrote:
Reminds me of a Korean-made Kalimar zoom I picked up years ago, and I was intrigued by it because it was a 28-200 f/3.5 -- constant aperture. Supposedly. Yet when peering through the viewfinder, as I would zoom out, I could see the meter needle drop, indicating a loss of at least 1 stop of light. So it was more like a 3.5-5.6. That ticked me off as well.

I remind a 35-200 korean made said at f4 constant because f4 is clearer than 3.5/4.5 and only 1/2 stop error at both sides (plus or minus)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I was speaking of tested sigma 80-200 2.8/3.5 NOT your 75-200 2.8/3.5 ... I do not know about your lens.

Okay, first of all, I don't own that lens. I was just asking about it. Second, since you stated above that the Q-Ray was a Sigma, then doesn't your comment regarding its T-value apply to the Q-Ray as well? I'm confused, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Second, since you stated above that the Q-Ray was a Sigma, then doesn't your comment regarding its T-value apply to the Q-Ray as well? I'm confused, I guess.

Again, i do not have precise infos on 75-200 2.8/3.5
whatever, the T value of a Q-ray lens must be SAME or worst of original lens (depends if internal cotaing, painting is same.. to give example : if sigma internal paint is black and q-ray painting is grey - cheaper- transmission of sigma would be better and therefore T opening will be better)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Quantaray 80-205 f4.5 which I sold for peanuts over a year ago - it was actually not all that bad a lens, but at the time, zooms were not my thing.

It was a lens that I never fully appreciated, yet miss it - I bought it for €8.00 and sold it on for €15.00...

Have posted some samples from my copy here Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mal, yours seems like it was a good performer. But after reading PBFacts' comments, I'm beginning to think the 2.8-3.5 version may not be all that good of a lens. I'll probably be better off just getting a known good-quality straight f/3.5 lens, like the older Vivitar S1s or the Tamron 70-210/3.5.

I was the successful bidder on eBay on an old Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 T4 lens in Nikon mount. The lens should arrive in a few days. I'll be able to test it out against my Nikkor zoom at any rate, and see how it compares.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I should just pick up one of the old Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5s or one of the Vivitar 200mm f/3.5s They're tried and proven, a known value, and good lenses to boot. Seems like, if they're in Nikon mount, though, people think they've found gold. Same with M42 these days as well.

Some people have found gold! Very Happy

When you first started this thread, I was actually going to suggest the VS1 70-210, and give the exact same reasons as you... but I didn't mention it because you seemed set on the Quantaray. Wink

Keep your eyes peeled for the Nikon mounts... every once in a while, one will slip through the cracks. For example, this one sold for US $16.39. Shocked Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, Mal, yours seems like it was a good performer. But after reading PBFacts' comments, I'm beginning to think the 2.8-3.5 version may not be all that good of a lens. I'll probably be better off just getting a known good-quality straight f/3.5 lens, like the older Vivitar S1s or the Tamron 70-210/3.5.

Which mount are you looking for ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon. That way I can use it with my Nikon outfit, my EOS, and even my Canon FD outfit with an adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

Keep your eyes peeled for the Nikon mounts... every once in a while, one will slip through the cracks. For example, this one sold for US $16.39. Shocked Click here to see on Ebay

Yeah, true enough. What I usually do is ignore the BINs and wait patiently for an auction to close. I did finally find a cheap 200/3.5 in Nikon mount. Pre-AI, but it will work with both my Nikons and my EOS.

It should be arriving any day now. It's an old T4 mount, but I have a slightly newer version of this lens in Canon FD and it is actually quite good. Comparable to my Canon FD 200mm f/4. So, hopefully this will hold over my urges until I come across something like a Tamron 80-200 f/2.8 Cool