Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volna-3 repair guide
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Volna-3 repair guide Reply with quote

I recieved a volna-3 with(A LOT!!!)of oil on the blades and i wanted to open it but there wasn't any guide on how to open it so i've figured out myself and now i'm posting a guide for you.

The process isn't difficult but a little tricky,if you know the few "tricks" it won't be a difficult process.

Sorry for the photos but i don't have my dslr,it's on rma;i had to use my powershot g6(good camera but not for macro or closeup flash)! Embarassed

First of all there's the lens scheme i found on the web:

we'll start from the back,note the orientation of the back plate for when you'll mount it back in place

unscrew the 3 screws and remove the back plate,you'll see something like this

note the two pieces pushing the diaphragm,you'll need to pay attention to them later.

Remove the diaphragm ring and pay EXTREME attention to the ball,in my case it wasn't loose but i removed it so it won't fall later and then remove the manual switch(yeah i know i didn't the first time! Very Happy )

now we'll start with the front,fist of all remove the name plate,in my case it wasn't so difficult and i used only my hands to rotate it without any damage.

Last edited by Plokko on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:07 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you have two options:
unmount all the three lens or simply keep them together and unmount the third lens block with the first and second,i figured it out later on.

If you want to avoid removing all the three lenses simply unscrew the external ring,it may help you unscrewing also the primary lens (without touching the lens)to give you some space for unscrewing and then put it back together.
if you do so you'll have something like this

if you want to remove all the lens(for cleaning purpouses for example)simply unscrew the primary lens ring(with your hands)

and then extract the primary and secondary lens with it's spacer,NOTE how the spacer is placed or you'll probably mount it wrong.

(when you'll mount the second lens back in place you'll need to center it,the simplest way is to keep the barrel upside down and push the lens back in place withe the spacer from the bottom)

now if you haven't done it already unscrew and extract(with your hands)the third lens block

now you should see the diaphragm blades

remove the ring,note that the black side is facing up.

now unscrew from the back the three screws holding the lens barrel like so

now you need to push with your hands on the diagraph to remove the barrel,PAY ATTENTION on the piece of metal pushing the diagraph and the manual switch,they may block the barrel and you may break them in the process,for example i didn't realyze i missed the manual switch,i didn't damage it but it leaved a scratch on the barrel,nothing serius and it helped me remount the barrel back in the currect position! Laughing

now you need first to unscrew the three micro screws on the side of the barrel,after that simply push gently the black diaphragm block from the side and you'll have something like this

i clened the blades and put them back in place(it's very easy,not like the 20 tair-3 blades!!! Very Happy )

that's how to mount them and how they should looks like

if you want to avoid reopen the lens a lot of time to recalibrate the diaphragm simply mount them in the diaphragm barrel,now note the mark on the black plate(please note also what part of the barrel is facing)this will helps you calibrate the diaphragm without any problem;put it in place as shown.

now you need to rotate the black diaphragm plate until the mark reach the mark on the top of the barrel(see the picture below),then simply screw the microscrew in place(holding the plate in position with one finger)to lock it in place.

Now the hard work it's done,simply mount all toghether and follow my tips on how to mount everything back in place and have a drink! Laughing

(it's a temporary cap i've made out of a plastic glass,it was like 1:00am or later so i didn't have the time to make something better! Wink )

You can find all the photos here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Plokko.foto/Volna3Repair02#

Last edited by Plokko on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 10 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for my engrish! Very Happy

hope you'll enjoy this guide!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent documentation!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding work! Cool

This is the sort of thing that can be a real life-saver when you have a lens taken apart and can't get it back together. Embarassed

Thanks for taking the time to document the process so thoroughly. Cool

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally adapted for my camera!
a GREAT lens,very sharp and great bokeh!

I bought the wrong adapter(for pentacon-six/kiev60 not kiev88 like my volna!!!) but i modified it (sorry only google translated,look only the images! Very Happy ):

http://translate.google.it/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.minoltasonyclub.it%2Fcms%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D317746%23317746&sl=it&tl=en

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molte grazie!

I don't have this lens yet but it's on my wishlist. Smile

Last edited by peterqd on Wed May 26, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and handy to have tutorial.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mille grazie, guida eccellente ...

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Molte grazie!

I don't have this lens yet but it's on my wishlist. Smile
a must buy!! Very Happy
i have a lot of awesome m42 lens but that's (now)my favourite MF lens!

you can get this lens cheap on the net,if you buy the pentacon six/kiev60 version the adapter(i prefer the pentacon six to m42 because i can use my m42 adapter with chip so i can use the image stabilizer! Very Happy )it's easyer and cheaper to find;
only note the lens version,some older lens can have a cheap multicoating(compared to the newers).

it's awesome how sharp this lens is,you can shoot at 2.8 with an amazing sharpness and bokeh,you'll need to use closer apertures only for the DOF effect or light condition! Very Happy

Some samples image http://picasaweb.google.com/Plokko.foto/Volna3#

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I already have both the P6>M42 and P6>EOS adapters. I chose a Vega 12B over the Volna 3 but it turned out to have terrible contrast.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Yep, I already have both the P6>M42 and P6>EOS adapters. I chose a Vega 12B over the Volna 3 but it turned out to have terrible contrast.
take a look there
http://www.kievaholic.com/

this site have a lot of test/tips for kiev compatible lenses! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for a great repair guide. I have one question: How do I remove the nameplate in the front? I am trying to fix my lens where the nameplate i loose.

/Niklas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful, thanks a lot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiklasGroop wrote:
Thank you for a great repair guide. I have one question: How do I remove the nameplate in the front? I am trying to fix my lens where the nameplate i loose.

/Niklas

You should be able to unscrew it by carefully applying a little of friction with your hands over the nameplate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiklasGroop wrote:

/Niklas

I have made a series of tools to do this job. Simply put, they are rings of various sizes made to fit a particular lens originally but its just a ring of plastic - a deodorant cap is good, or any spray cap - they are different sizes.

I sand down the edges of the open end then glue a length of leather shoelace to it all the way round. I use plenty of epoxy resin. Place the cap leather down and put a light weight on top just enough to glue it evenly all round. Make sure the rough side of the leather faces out.

The grip of the leather is usually enough to unscrew the bezel (nameplate). If its not enough, wet it a little, if that's not enough, paint a little rubber solution (from bike puncture repair kits) round the edge of the leather and let it dry overnight. That always does it.