Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 1:2.8 f=28mm -- 21+ Versions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen this on ebay 'Soligor Miranda 2.8 f135 serial no. K 781991' I haven't seen a K serial number before. (KA has been noted before)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miranda-Soligor-1-2-8-13-5cm-lens-with-caps/332066699783?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D93951249603b4d06b637231e81bb2eab%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D152362264984

walter g wrote:
Updated list
Updated 3\19\16

Soligor Codes

1 = Tokina
2 = Sun
3 = Sun
4 = Sun
5 = ???
6 = Komine
7 = Sun
8 = Tokina
9 = Kobori
31 = ??? *
A = Komura #
H4 = Kawanon ? #
H5 = Komine #
H6 = Komine #
H7= Tokina #
H37 = Kawanon? #
KA. = Kyoei Acall #
M = ??? #
N = ??? #
R = Itoh #
T = Tamron #

Code system. First number = Maker.
Second number = Decade
Third number = Year

*Six digit lens date code unknown.

# Letter code lens date code unknown.

..... DISCLAMER THIS IS A WORKING LIST......
..... IT MAY CHANGE AS NEW EVIDENCE IS FOUND....

I updated the list and added:
KA = Kyoei
R. = Itoh
8. = Tokina
9. = Kobori

I removed:
9 = Kiron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the Miranda lens with the "K" number.
Maybe Kowa?
It seems that Kowa made some of the early Miranda lenses, especially those with "arms"; and this one is one if the earlier types, no arm but with a stopdown button.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kowa, for this one. The coupling arm and A - M switch appear to be of Automex (pre Sensorex) vintage.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another that, from what I can tell from combing through the thread, has been covered. But for the sake of posterity:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Soligor 28mm f2.8 with Nikon F mount Reply with quote

Hello!
I was going to buy this lens but I'm wondering when and who made this Soligor 28mm lens, as I never found anything like this lens in this thread. It looks like a Sun-made lens, as it has a 77x serial number and it has a 62mm filter thread, but it has no Wide-Auto lettering on it.

If anyone can help I'd be thankful! Gonna buy it for my a6000 as it is the cheapest 28mm lens here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 28mm f2.8 with Nikon F mount Reply with quote

xinn wrote:
Hello!
I was going to buy this lens but I'm wondering when and who made this Soligor 28mm lens, as I never found anything like this lens in this thread. It looks like a Sun-made lens, as it has a 77x serial number and it has a 62mm filter thread, but it has no Wide-Auto lettering on it.

If anyone can help I'd be thankful! Gonna buy it for my a6000 as it is the cheapest 28mm lens here.

Here you go

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this lens code, starts with a U? Any ideas who made it? This is an older Miranda lens with the M44 screw mount.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
You're welcome, visualopsins. Hope I wasn't sounding too grouchy. And you have my sympathies re dial up (and in the state of Silicon Valley - whats the tale????)

Nearest town is 26 miles away. Today smartphone tethers. Smile

@braz I don’t know about U- lens maker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braz, to ID your U code Soligor Miranda lens I need to know how many aperture blades it has.
That might give the clue to the maker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Braz, to ID your U code Soligor Miranda lens I need to know how many aperture blades it has.

It's a preset lens with 12 blades.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braz wrote:
walter g wrote:

Thanks. I was pretty sure it would have a high blade count.
The one maker I know that used 12 blade apertures is Kawanon.
I need to do more research, but that's my best guess so far.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Thanks! Don't spend too much time on it, I was just curious.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: KA code Reply with quote

Hi, first time poster, have been reading this and other threads with some interest, and may have something to add, and, to further muddy the waters, as it were. I recently bid on a Soligor 100-200mm F/5.6, pictured below, Serial # KA-101212

A further search showed a Kawanon lens, very similar, and even having a similar serial#:

Based on this, KA could also be Kawanon. Interestingly, I thought the lens was so distinctively styled it would not have been made by a different manufacturer, but on another post in'The Big Soligor Thread" this picture showing a '9' serial was posted (sorry, I don't know how to link directly to the post)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: KA code Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Hi, first time poster, have been reading this and other threads with some interest, and may have something to add, and, to further muddy the waters, as it were. I recently bid on a Soligor 100-200mm F/5.6, pictured below, Serial # KA-101212

A further search showed a Kawanon lens, very similar, and even having a similar serial#:

Based on this, KA could also be Kawanon. Interestingly, I thought the lens was so distinctively styled it would not have been made by a different manufacturer, but on another post in'The Big Soligor Thread" this picture showing a '9' serial was posted (sorry, I don't know how to link directly to the post)

Welcome Alun Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
braz wrote:
walter g wrote:

This lens may agree with your statement, 12 blades, has a K on the id ring.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this Japanese website, Miranda Society of Japan ...

http://miranda.s32.xrea.com/miranda/MSJ_html/lens/index.html

... some of the early Miranda lenses were Kowa made Soligor marketed lenses. Some labeled Kowa Miranda and some labeled Soligor Miranda. These were distinguished by having a 'K' prefix before the serial number. However given the available backing information on the 'K' for Kowa Soligor lenses, why is 'K' for Kowa not added to the Soligor Manufacturer Code chart? I see lots of listings online for the Code chart and none of them have 'K' = Kowa listed.

This series of Kowa made lenses are perhaps some of the best and most unique lenses Soligor would have ever sold, IMO as they represent some of the earliest of the Kowa Prominar lenses. And Prominar lenses are not only revered in the cinematography world, but they have been used to film many highly acclaimed movies, such as Rocky and The Godfather II. So to my thinking, having a set of Prominar lenses in the 'made by Soligor' fold would be highly significant.

I think I remember seeing other lenses labeled just as Soligor and not Soligor Miranda with 'K' for Kowa prefixes. Which possibly means that Kowa made lenses for Soligor other than just for Miranda camera mounts.

If anyone can provide any clarification or further info on the 'K' prefix Soligor lenses I would love to see it. Piecing the Kowa / Soligor connection together has been a bit cryptic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that Kowa was dropped as a supplier before any systematic serial number system was implemented.

Same with Vivitar.

Serial numbering is a current value to the manufacturer or vendor, but looking back (very much) would not be relevant. These companies were not in the business of nostalgia when they were operating.

I also suspect that Kowa got out of the generic third-party lens making business to concentrate on areas where it could obtain better margins by leveraging some aspects of superior technical capability. I don't think there are any identifiable Kowa third-party generic SLR lenses after the very early 1960's.

Kowa may have failed on things like its own-branded 35mm and medium format SLR's, each with their own lenses - and some of these were pretty wild for the time, like a 19mm medium format fisheye - but I assume they hoped for better success in this than competing in the generic market.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Two M-Serial 135s Reply with quote

EDIT: this fit better in the other big soligor thread, as suggested by visualopsins. So it has been reposted in the other thread ... http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1541897.html#1541897

Hi,

Not sure if I should add to this thread, or make a new one. I figured since this thread has been running for years, it should be okay to post here?

I have two 135mm f3.5 Soligors with M serial numbers. However, they are dramatically different in build and number!

First is a Chrome backed preset (I thought all presets had the aperture dial in the front? First time I have seen one with the aperture ring in the back), with serial number M17****. The second is a black preset with serial number M76*****. The black one has a 49mm filter ring, while the chrome ringed version is smaller, but came with a hood (not in the pictures). Black is 12 blades, chrome is 8 blades. Pictures as below.

#4 - 8 blade chrome

#5 - 12 blade black

From what I read on this forum and elsewhere, @Lloydy is investigating M serial numbers, and the top theories are either Tokina or Miranda. Given the big difference in the serial number format itself and the completely different build of both lenses, I wonder if the M series are also like the H series, meaning M1xxx is different from M7xxx manufacturer?

I also have a Hanimex 135/3.5 that looks nearly identical in build to the black Soligor, which has serial H7****. The size is identical, the barrel is physically identical, the distance scale is the same colours, but with ft. and m inverted on the Hanimex. Both 12 blades, both 49mm filter thread. The main thing though is that the serial number is H7 on this while M7 on the Soligor. Pictures of the Hanimex below:

Hopefully this helps understand the Soligor world a bit better.

Last edited by karthikrr on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! These latest posts maybe belong in the other great Soligor thread http://forum.mflenses.com/the-big-soligor-thread-t33736.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, I thought this was the big soligor thread... I had read these long ago, and when google told me this is where I should post, I didn't think to question her... 😛

Are there mods on this site who can move things around, or should I just copy and paste into the other thread myself?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karthikrr wrote:
Ooops, I thought this was the big soligor thread... I had read these long ago, and when google told me this is where I should post, I didn't think to question her... 😛

Are there mods on this site who can move things around, or should I just copy and paste into the other thread myself?

Wow, how do I turn on that Google feature? (just kidding)

Maybe a link in the other thread to you posts here?

I don't mind at all about the posts here, however I'm thinking you may get more responses in the other thread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I just copied and pasted there, so a repost ... Am editing the post in this thread to include the link there instead, so others who come here know where the discussion continues Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braz wrote:
What about this lens code, starts with a U? Any ideas who made it? This is an older Miranda lens with the M44 screw mount.

It has been discussed on Miranda Forums and the consensus is that the -U- stands for Unidapter
....... and the lens is made by Komura, with their appropriate Unidapter attached.
Having said that, the lens looks unlike a Komura to my eyes

T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay seller scooter1z

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys. Resurrecting a very interesting thread. Sorry I haven't read each and every post so what about the performance of the so many 28s? Is there maybe one of them much better than the others or are they all more or less the same? I'd be happy to know if one of them may be extra sharp in the center wide open. I'm using one of these on a DSLR 1,6x and don't care about corners. My lens is not sharp, even in the center and I could get another type now. Thanks a lot.