Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The big Soligor thread!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I think Luis should know who manufactured this lens.

cyberjunkie wrote:
. . .
The level of cooperation between different japanese third party lens makers is usually underestimated.
. . .
Btw, the 135mm with serial starting with M is likely Sun, but I'm not sure at all, I wouldn't bet on it Smile

Thanks, guys. So this puzzle is more difficult than it may appear on the surface...
But I can't resist speculating. Wink

Thus, again referring to cyberjunkie's serial number list, I have a Soligor C/D 500mm mirror lens. It's No. 5805293 and was made in Japan.
Wouldn't that suggest (Korean) Samyang isn't the maker of No. 5... serials?
Is Sun known to have manufactured mirror lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Soligor / Kyoei 180 3.5 Reply with quote

This lens is a well known late 50s/ early 60s lens from Kyoei, serial beginning with K.No. prefix. I have a Vemar lens with the same prefix, a Vemar/Kyoei 135/3.5 for Leica mount, and have seen the prefix on numerous others. It is said that Kyoei somehow turned into Kawakami/Kowanon/Kawanon, perhaps either by name change or being bought out. Several well known Kyoei lenses are also seen as Kawakami/Kowanon/Kawanon, such as the 35/3.5, 135/3.5, and this 180/3.5, although the later versions are slightly different cosmetically, they are highly likely to be identical optically. Once the company became Kawanon, the serials for Soligor badged lenses from them seem to have a KA prefix.

This particular lens has reasonable performance, although when stopped down any further than 5.6 it suffers badly from veiling flare caused by the un-blackened aperture leaves. At 5.6 the sharpness is good, contrast is acceptable, and pixel peeping reveals an excellent control of colour fringing (even in the very far corner of the image).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovim wrote:
I don't have this lens anymore but I found these pics from my flickr account.I think it was made by Komine and it has also been sold as Elicar, Vivitar etc. Sorry I don't have the serial:oops:

Vivitar 2.5/90mm Macro

I have the ELICAR 2,5/90mm Macro lens with an CONTAX mount, with an 62mm 8x achromatic macro filter set to get with it M.: 2:1 !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovim wrote:
I don't have this lens anymore but I found these pics from my flickr account.I think it was made by Komine and it has also been sold as Elicar, Vivitar etc. Sorry I don't have the serial:oops:

Vivitar 2.5/90mm Macro

I have an ELICAR V-HQ MACRO MC 90mm f/2,5 lens with an CONTAX mount, and an additional 8x achromatic macro lens for M. 2:1 !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a Soligor 35mm f/2.8 H6*** on ebay. The aperture hole shape (starry) is similar to that of a Tokina T4 made lens. I am more inclined to believe H6 is also Tokina made.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Saw a Soligor 35mm f/2.8 H6*** on ebay. The aperture hole shape (starry) is similar to that of a Tokina T4 made lens. I am more inclined to believe H6 is also Tokina made.

I'm of the same general opinion, the H codes seem to be an unsolvable mystery. According to internet sources, Tokina was started by ex-Nikon staff. I sometimes wonder if they started out with some lens designs but may not have owned a production facility themselves. One reason I wonder that, is because I have two lenses which are unequivocally identified as Tokina designed, in fact the same lens, the 90-230/4.5 zoom, but one has an 'H5' code and one has an 'H6' code. They are both Lentar branded, the H6 is an automount equipped lens, the H5 is a T2 equipped lens, perhaps from a year or two earlier.

I also possess several copies of 'H6' 28/2.8 lenses manufactured over a few different years showing that although the exterior was facelifted a few times, the actual optical formula remained identical, and the final facelifted version can clearly be seen to basically be the same 28/2.8 being sold by Soligor and Vivitar as their Tokina-sourced T4 28/2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20197/big_10818_Untitled3_1.png][/url

I'm not at home just now, so don't have pictures of my own lenses, but here are some samples from a well known auction site. It looks as if the lens was available with an 'H4' code at some point also.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

. . .
According to internet sources, Tokina was started by ex-Nikon staff. . .

A couple months ago I was wondering about Tokina's origins. I emailed them to ask if they were founded by former Nikon employees. They responded that Tokina was founded in 1950, but "NOT by former Nikon engineers."
They were emphatic about the Nikon part! Smile

I was hoping for more details but that was all they had to say.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is my latest addition to the soligor 400mm menagerie - a t-mount 8xxx serial, that looks exactly like the 9xxxx serial soligor 400mm 6.3's, but without the "chrome ears".

Size, structure etc identical.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I never was a huge fan of Soligor back in the days, unfortunately owing to a bad experience with a Soligor 80-200mm zoom I bought in the mid-eighties, nevertheless, I am curious of all lenses and their origin.

This might not give a hint to who made them or shed a light of the entire line but I thought it would be interesting to see a Soligor brochure from Sweden I just got hold of.
There is no date on the brochure that I can see but looking at the lenses depicted they are in the transition between all-metal barrel and rubber grips; I'd say probably around 1980 or so, give or take a few years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Please excuse the Swedish, but if there is something particular you are interested in I could translate, although the technical stuff is quite similar.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=818178E82A1487C0&id=818178E82A1487C0%218077&parId=818178E82A1487C0%21266&o=OneUp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
First - excuse my terrible english.
I bought a Soligor 250mm f/4.5 T-mount and I discovered one problem - light spot at f16 to f32.
The same effect is described in this review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpQvGII4og4 / 2:11
Can someone help me with this stupid spot? I try to cover the edge of the lenses with black marker for glass(this worked with Hanimar Tele-lens 200mm), but no effects.. Also, this spot is more noticeable in raw files.
Thank you.
Here is one of my photos, taked with this lens(Nikon D3500):
DSC_2631 by Atanas Rakov, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Atanas, welcome to the forum!

Are you talking about the grey blobs in the sky area? If so, they are probably caused by dust specs on your camera sensor.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light spots are usually caused by a reflection from the back element on the sensor (from light reflecting of the sensor) so there is nothing to do about it other than shoot film or not stop down to F16 or further.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Light spots are usually caused by a reflection from the back element on the sensor..

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes in that video you linked to by Bengt Sandberg (BKS) at around 2'12secs you can distinctly see what looks like some sensor reflection. Is your lens the same 9xxxx serial soligor? it looks like it is rather prone to flare and this sort of thing. Anyway there is nothing to be done except be alert for circumstances where this might show.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Is your lens the same 9xxxx serial soligor?

Yep, same serial 9xxxx(Maded by Kino, i think). It`s not problem for me to make photos in f/11, but sometimes is really annoying..

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimjaur wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
Light spots are usually caused by a reflection from the back element on the sensor..

Thank you!

They can also be caused by non blackened aperture blades in older lenses, and normally becomes noticeable by the way the contrast degrades as you close the aperture, instead of becoming greater as you'd expect generally. Light entering the lens bounces of the comparitively bright metal blades and then bounces back and forth on various surfaces until it ends up as a general reduction in contrast (i.e. non image forming light)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case I recommend you get the t-xxx serial 350mm made by tamron.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find a mention of this Soligor 200mm 1:6.3 yet
Soligor 200mm 1:6.3 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Soligor 200mm 1:6.3 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Made by Tamron. It is a very light lens. Not very sharp but swirly soft bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Two M-Serial 135s Reply with quote

Hi,

Posted this in the other soligor thread (the 21 28mms thread) and was pointed here by visualopsins ... Reposting!

I have two 135mm f3.5 Soligors with M serial numbers. However, they are dramatically different in build and number!

First is a Chrome backed preset (I thought all presets had the aperture dial in the front? First time I have seen one with the aperture ring in the back), with serial number M17****. The second is a black preset with serial number M76*****. The black one has a 49mm filter ring, while the chrome ringed version is smaller, but came with a hood (not in the pictures). Black is 12 blades, chrome is 8 blades. Pictures as below.

#4 - 8 blade chrome

#5 - 12 blade black

From what I read on this forum and elsewhere, @Lloydy is investigating M serial numbers, and the top theories are either Tokina or Miranda. Given the big difference in the serial number format itself and the completely different build of both lenses, I wonder if the M series are also like the H series, meaning M1xxx is different from M7xxx manufacturer?

I also have a Hanimex 135/3.5 that looks nearly identical in build to the black Soligor, which has serial H7****. The size is identical, the barrel is physically identical, the distance scale is the same colours, but with ft. and m inverted on the Hanimex. Both 12 blades, both 49mm filter thread. The main thing though is that the serial number is H7 on this while M7 on the Soligor. Pictures of the Hanimex below:

Hopefully this helps understand the Soligor world a bit better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On p1 of this thread there is a pic of a kawanon 350mm f5.6. I reckon this KA-xxx serial soligor 350mm is probably the same lens. Not seen one before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Two M-Serial 135s Reply with quote

karthikrr wrote:
. . .

Yes, I hope so. Thanks for all the photos and info.
But it wouldn't be as much fun if we knew everything. Smile

I think the early C/D lenses are handsome in their glossy black finish. And the later C/Ds aren't bad, either.
Here are three generations of C/D 135mm (1974, 1977, 1979):

Maybe there's a fourth generation C/D 135 with three elements? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I could not find a mention of this Soligor 200mm 1:6.3 yet

Made by Tamron. It is a very light lens. Not very sharp but swirly soft bokeh.

Kind of rare. I have an Auto Tamron 200mm/4.5. The Auto Tamron 135mm/2.8 has a Soligor counterpart, but this Soligor is 200mm/5.6. Interesting.

Last edited by vivaldibow on Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:47 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Two M-Serial 135s Reply with quote

The silver eared M also shows up in Miranda line. Yes, the rear preset ring series includes 25mm/2.8, 28mm/2.8, 35mm/2.8, 105mm/2.8, 135mm/3.5 (not sure if there is a 135mm/2.Cool.
My 25mm/2.8 is Miranda (Like your 135mm/3.5), but the 28mm/35mm/105mm were all by Tokina. Someone also shows the 35mm is a radioactive lens (I haven't tested it yet).

Your black M is kind of rare, although it looks very similar to H series (H7 is said to be Komine).

karthikrr wrote:
Hi,

Posted this in the other soligor thread (the 21 28mms thread) and was pointed here by visualopsins ... Reposting!

I have two 135mm f3.5 Soligors with M serial numbers. However, they are dramatically different in build and number!

First is a Chrome backed preset (I thought all presets had the aperture dial in the front? First time I have seen one with the aperture ring in the back), with serial number M17****. The second is a black preset with serial number M76*****. The black one has a 49mm filter ring, while the chrome ringed version is smaller, but came with a hood (not in the pictures). Black is 12 blades, chrome is 8 blades. Pictures as below.

From what I read on this forum and elsewhere, @Lloydy is investigating M serial numbers, and the top theories are either Tokina or Miranda. Given the big difference in the serial number format itself and the completely different build of both lenses, I wonder if the M series are also like the H series, meaning M1xxx is different from M7xxx manufacturer?

I also have a Hanimex 135/3.5 that looks nearly identical in build to the black Soligor, which has serial H7****. The size is identical, the barrel is physically identical, the distance scale is the same colours, but with ft. and m inverted on the Hanimex. Both 12 blades, both 49mm filter thread. The main thing though is that the serial number is H7 on this while M7 on the Soligor. Pictures of the Hanimex below: