Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Poor man's Zeiss Distagon 28mm f/2 "Hollywood"?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Poor man's Zeiss Distagon 28mm f/2 "Hollywood"? Reply with quote

Some of you may know that Zeiss, for a very short time, worked in cooperation with Asahi Optical Co. from Japan. One of the products of this cooperation is the design of the Pentax K mount. But the companies also worked together in optical lens design. The cooperation did not last long; Zeiss quickly went to Yashica and the result (the Contax RTS with the excellent series of Zeiss lenses) is history.

Now, I'm also sure that some of you know of famous Zeiss lens designer Erhard Glatzel's 28mm f/2 Distagon (also nicknamed "Hollywood"). In the early stage of their cooperation, Asahi used the design of the Distagon in its SMC Pentax 1:2/28. The lens was a 1:1 copy of the Distagon. So, the SMC Pentax 1:2/28 IS technically speaking a Distagon, with its floating element.

Now, why did I mention the "Poor man's Distagon"? Well, because tonight I bought the SMC Pentax 1:2/28 with its original case for 190 euros. It's only missing its front lens cap and it has a small nick on the front ring (absolutely nothing serious) but the rest of the lens is easily Excellent++. It's a great price becausse usually this lens is not seen for years. It's very rare... And I'm delighted to have saved it for future generations.

Some results (partly shot on the way back home):

Last edited by Spotmatic on Tue May 12, 2009 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done and thanks for the informaiton. Look forward to samples. Orio's Hollywood is legendary here

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Peter!

Let's see some pics of the lens please! (But none taken WITH that lens please, since I get so frustrated when I see your always excellent results... Wink Wink )

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch, congratulation. Now I am salivating! Can't wait for the your pictures.

A quick google search agrees with your research and yikes....the samples floating around is saying this is sharp, very sharp lens. If the 3d rendering is anywhere near the real thing, there will be one hot lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Congrats Peter!

Let's see some pics of the lens please! (But none taken WITH that lens please, since I get so frustrated when I see your always excellent results... Wink Wink )

I'm sorry Klaus, I went totally out of control. Have a look at my first post in this topic Twisted Evil Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! congrats! the copy look even better than the original Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your shots.

Interesting, very interesting a new hunting begins Laughing . Is there a magical number, I mean serial number that could make us be sure for the "hollywood" distagon design?

I searched ebay offers and found that:

Click here to see on Ebay

I think this is not like yours......I mean the special one....... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2 is a completely different lens; just search for the "SMC Pentax" version (sometimes also called the "K" version). The lens cannot be mistaken; it's as big as the SMC Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5).

You just need luck finding one. I wasn't looking for one and that certainly helps Wink

EDIT: wrong f/stop Smile

Last edited by Spotmatic on Tue May 12, 2009 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, you did it again, now I need to see the shrink again..... Evil or Very Mad

P.S.: there is one for sale in Japan for a mere EUR610!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2 is a completely different lens; just search for the "SMC Pentax" version (sometimes also called the "K" version). The lens cannot be mistaken; it's as big as the SMC Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5).

You just need luck finding one. I wasn't looking for one and that certainly helps Wink

EDIT: wrong f/stop Smile

Thank you Spotmatic. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
We all know you can make any lens look good, but this does seem to be rather special....

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great price on a legendary lens! Congratulations!

BTW, another "poor man's Hollywood" is the Vivitar MC Close Focus Wide Angle 2.0/28 (Komine). Of course not the same design, but a darn good lens that can be found for very reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did some searching around; couldn't find recent Ebay listings, but oh, what's this? A couple of past listings on Yahoo! Auctions in Japan... one sold for $600.... there's one currently ongoing with $780 starting price... and, ooh, one sold for $1200.

Me thinks, a "poor man's Hollywood Distagon" this lens is not Laughing

That would be like saying the Zuiko 21/2 is a poor man's Distagon, just because I got it for $60 Laughing

Nevertheless, congratulations on your acquisition; it does look to be a sweet set of glass :drool:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Me thinks, a "poor man's Hollywood Distagon" this lens is not Laughing

That would be like saying the Zuiko 21/2 is a poor man's Distagon, just because I got it for $60 Laughing

Wow, speaking about good deals... Shocked

By the way, someone I know from another forum also owns the Pentax Distagon, but also the later, much smaller and optically completely different, SMC Pentax-M series version. Here they are, next to each other:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW congrats for this lens ! Beautiful samples.

The old K series of Asahi has best reputation. Especially this K28/2.0. It's one of the most difficult to get K lenses.
From the SMC 28mm family I have A28/2.8, M28/2.8 and K28/2.8.
Among pentaxians the newer A28 has worst reputation
(bad contras/quite soft), M28 is really good in all circumstances
and the oldest K28/3.5 is known for its outstanding performance
concerning sharpness and contrast.
After viewing your samples from K28/2.0 I am eager
to catch the last link in my SMC 28 family collection Laughing

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures are excellent and the lense seems to be a WOW lense.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a few more photos tonight!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for the purchase!
The price sounds really good. I got my second Hollywood for 170 Eur, but that was a real strike of luck. My first copy arrived for 350 Euros.

Looking forward to the photos, I think you will love this lens madly!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are!

http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-pentax-12-28-distagon-mixed-photos-t16871.html