Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summilux M 75/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Leica Summilux M 75/1.4 Reply with quote

Serial number 364XXXX

E60 built in hood version

I was bidding on a very rare Pancolar 75 1.4 M42 but i lost :/ (http://forum.mflenses.com/pancolar-75-1-4-m42-mount-t49208.html#1227215)

So i bought this one. I hope to find one more Pancolar 75 1.4 sometime in this life.

I'm loving the 75mm experience on a full frame camera (http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-heliar-75-2-5-ltm-t48695.html)

Anyway, bought the lens from a seller on the Leica Forum yesterday and had it delivered today but didn't get much time to shoot :/

Here are the first boring test samples ->

Me likey!

It's smooth and dreamy yet sharp enough

Supposedly Dr. Mandler's personal favorite lens of all time

Last edited by Hari on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one to me, many thanks to sharing these pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
It really looks like a sexy glass! Very Happy
I see however some nasty flare in photos 4,5
THe bokeh is to die for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila

Thanks Orio

Very Happy

I'm loving the lens! It's big and heavy for an M mount lens but i'm lovin the character and the bokeh is an optical orgasm for me Laughing

Now I need a slim biotar 75/1.4 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
Thanks Attila

Thanks Orio

Very Happy

I'm loving the lens! It's big and heavy for an M mount lens but i'm lovin the character and the bokeh is an optical orgasm for me Laughing

Now I need a slim biotar 75/1.4 Very Happy

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Me likey!

Damn....I likey as well. Cool

That's an impressive lens, the last picture - the beer bottles - is terrific.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is really cool!
Bokeh is really nice! Very nice toy!
How much did you pay for it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Last one is really cool!
Bokeh is really nice! Very nice toy!
How much did you pay for it?

Thanks mate!

I'm loving 75mm and the bokeh is so creamy im drooling on my keyboard Laughing

€3,000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Quote:
Me likey!

Damn....I likey as well. Cool

That's an impressive lens, the last picture - the beer bottles - is terrific.

Thanks mate!

It's pretty cool how the images are so smooth and creamy but the subject is nice and sharp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is stunning! It pops out of my screen!
Unbelievable bokeh!
For those who didn't do it yet, click on it to see the bigger version.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn good lens Hari!
great results

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality in light-controlled situations is indeed stunning (and I would't expect otherwise!)
However, for me the M9 is an outdoors, street and travel camera.
Considering that this lens has a built-it lens hood, the flare I see in photos 4 and 5 would make me very dubious
about spending 3500 Euros for it, even if I had that kind of money.
Wondrous bokeh doesn't help much if you get veiling flare when you go out on the streets and photograph events or people
in situation where you have to adapt to existing light direction and angles.
A slower and less refined lens, but with stronger antiflare coating, would let you take home more photos in those situations.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Last one is stunning! It pops out of my screen!
Unbelievable bokeh!
For those who didn't do it yet, click on it to see the bigger version.

Thanks mate, this lens has become my top favorite! The bokeh is incredible and the sharpness at f1.4 is amazing!

The first 2 shots below straight out of the camera

#3 has AWB adjusted, no other modifications

Additional bonus - this lens loves B&W. For my taste, not many other lenses (C/Y planar 85 1.4 + C/Y distagon 35 1.4 + SMC tak 50 1.4 + C/Y Distagon 28 2.8 to name a few that do) deliver such results in Black and White ->

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The quality in light-controlled situations is indeed stunning (and I would't expect otherwise!)
However, for me the M9 is an outdoors, street and travel camera.
Considering that this lens has a built-it lens hood, the flare I see in photos 4 and 5 would make me very dubious
about spending 3500 Euros for it, even if I had that kind of money.
Wondrous bokeh doesn't help much if you get veiling flare when you go out on the streets and photograph events or people
in situation where you have to adapt to existing light direction and angles.
A slower and less refined lens, but with stronger antiflare coating, would let you take home more photos in those situations.

Technically, you're absolutely right and this lens is famous for not being too good with handling flare.

For everyday street photography, I won't reach for my Noctilux f1 or the Summilux 75. I will reach for my Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.1 and the Voigtlander Heliar 75/2.5

While the Noctilux 50 f1 and Summilux 75 1.4 deliver incredible results, the long focus throw make them unsuited for quick/discreet shots

Talking about flare, I don't mind some flare and every now and then i try to include some controlled flare in my images

I just posted one in b&w showing veiling flare but i love the look!

I prefer the old L39 sonnar 50 1.5 to the new sonnar ZM 50 1.5 especially because the new one has very good coating and doesn't deliver that look i fell in love with

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Damn good lens Hari!
great results

Thanks Suat! how have you been my friend? long long time since we caught up

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari, you had me drooling as I viewed your spectacular photos! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

While the Noctilux 50 f1 and Summilux 75 1.4 deliver incredible results, the long focus throw make them unsuited for quick/discreet shots

Of course it depends on how you take the photos, if you're the quick snapshooter you don't have the time to frame properly so you rely on wide angle lenses.
On the other hand, there are also street shooters who choose a position and stay there waiting for situations to happen, and for them a tele lens can be useful.
I personally prefer the wide angle approach because it feels more natural and less voyeuristic, but it's a matter of choice.
In any case if you have the Heliar to serve you well for snapshots, and if you plan to use the Lux in more controlled/planned situations, then you have a champion lens in your hand indeed, one that it's hard to beat!
I personally prefer DSLR for controlled situations, but anything is possible, in the latest issue of LFI there is an article about a fashion photographer using the M9 with a Noctilux f/1
and her photos are amazing - so it's definitely possible to use the M9 also for studio work! in the past it was harder, because you didn't have feedback on the results until the develops
but today with the LCD it is possible to shoot and check about focus and DOF almost in real time, so this opened the world of fashion and still life to the rangefinder.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a sweet lens, congrats Cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hari wrote:

Of course it depends on how you take the photos, if you're the quick snapshooter you don't have the time to frame properly so you rely on wide angle lenses.
On the other hand, there are also street shooters who choose a position and stay there waiting for situations to happen, and for them a tele lens can be useful.
I personally prefer the wide angle approach because it feels more natural and less voyeuristic, but it's a matter of choice.
In any case if you have the Heliar to serve you well for snapshots, and if you plan to use the Lux in more controlled/planned situations, then you have a champion lens in your hand indeed, one that it's hard to beat!
I personally prefer DSLR for controlled situations, but anything is possible, in the latest issue of LFI there is an article about a fashion photographer using the M9 with a Noctilux f/1
and her photos are amazing - so it's definitely possible to use the M9 also for studio work! in the past it was harder, because you didn't have feedback on the results until the develops
but today with the LCD it is possible to shoot and check about focus and DOF almost in real time, so this opened the world of fashion and still life to the rangefinder.

Fully with you on both counts!

Here's why i love a 35mm on the full frame -> (please scroll to the bottom of the page)
http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-summilux-35-1-4-asph-t38462,start,45.html

And here's the 75mm state of mind im loving at the moment. It is indeed voyeuristic as you call it but this is what i've been missing and i didn't know it! I found 85mm-90mm too tight and 50mm too wide. To be able to get head and shoulders/subject and some environment!
Incredible lens. especially for the money it sells for Shocked ->
http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-heliar-75-2-5-ltm-t48695.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomstitcher wrote:
Looks like a sweet lens, congrats Cool

thanks m8!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerris2 wrote:
Hari, you had me drooling as I viewed your spectacular photos! Very Happy

im still wiping the drool off my keyboard Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY like that shade one and the street shots!

wicked bokeh!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great photos hari. sent you PM
tony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous lens character! Very nice color rendering and contrast. BW is especially exquisite. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a few more random shots to keep the mood going ...