Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander Heliar 75 2.5 LTM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander Heliar 75 2.5 LTM Reply with quote

Hi all!

Nice to be back here after a long break. My work took me through Shanghai, Lisboa, Barcelona, Moscow and Sao Paolo over the last few weeks. Unfortunately, hectic work schedules left me without much time for photography.

Anyway, it was at the start of the trip that I discovered the Heliar 75 2.5 as I wanted a low cost travel kit for photography and a 1-camera 1-lens travel kit. At the last minute I decided against it and had to go with nothing as my new nex-7 hadn't yet arrived. And the m9 is too expensive for risky cities like Sao Paolo and Moscow. Not to forget the notorious Barcelona where my camera kit was stolen once already. Few months old D90 + some nikon VR zooms + Leitax'ed leica 90/2.8, leica 135 2.8 + memory cards + remote control etc etc.

Anyway, bak to the topic - I read many rave reviews but never came across too many images that did justice to the theoretical reputation of this lens

Here's my humble attempt to show what this lens is capable of ->

It was pretty windy yesterday so some images might not be in 100% perfect focus. All images shot with the m9.

this lens is simply incredible. how this lens can go for $400-500 is really beyond logic. if you don't have one of these, buy one today!

Last edited by Hari on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The m9 isn't the best high ISO camera out there and unfortunately, the Heliar is designated at f2.5 so low light photography is not it's strong point

But, without B&W shots, you can't have a Best Of gallery so here goes ->

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive lens indeed Hari, nice work.

Pray tell, is this an old lens or one of the modern Cosina made ones?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Impressive lens indeed Hari, nice work.

Pray tell, is this an old lens or one of the modern Cosina made ones?

Thank you Smile

AFAIK, for RF cameras, there is only the old 75 2.5 in LTM mount (L39 not M39)

The new one is a 75 1.8 and is not as small as the 75 2.5

The 75 2.5 has been discontinued for awhile now and sells for 400-500USD. Depending on the condition of the lens + VF included in the sale + L39 to Leica M mount adapter included in the sale + shipping / PayPal fees

Grab one before the lens becomes famous in the 4/3 or NEX community and the prices shoot up!

Voigtlander lenses offer the best price : performance value in my opinion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is really interesting. I especially like both bicycle photos.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Thanks mate!

a terrific performer - best value for money!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, that bicycle shot leaps out of my screen, really cool work on the others too Hari

you arent helping my cashflow problems.......

so in your opinion the CV lenses are the best bang for the buck? I almost grabbed a 28 ultron for a few hundred bucks a few weeks ago as I need a wide angle for my landscape/nature work , now Im ticked someone got the buy-it-now before me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shots hari. this is one of my favorite lenses. cv rf's are i think the best rf values. the 28/2, 25/4, 35/2.5, 40/1.4, 15/4.5, 21/4 all winners. i am anxiously awaiting my 15!
tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude163 wrote:
man, that bicycle shot leaps out of my screen, really cool work on the others too Hari

you arent helping my cashflow problems.......

so in your opinion the CV lenses are the best bang for the buck? I almost grabbed a 28 ultron for a few hundred bucks a few weeks ago as I need a wide angle for my landscape/nature work , now Im ticked someone got the buy-it-now before me

Thanks buddy!

If Mr. Kobayashi was any smarter, he'd release an exclusive line backed by the best Marketing gurus that still walk the planet.

He can surely make some great lenses and with the help of proper marketing, he can change the way people look at CV lenses. Im not talking on the lines of increasing profit/prices. Just a few select lines priced high to change market perception.

They are fantastic. Really. I put my money where my mouth is. I shoot Leica lenses alongside the Voigtlanders. The voigtlanders I put on my camera so far did not disappoint.

Of course there is a difference between a CV and a Zeiss and a Leica. But in most cases the difference is quite subtle and most of all, depends on personal taste.

For example, see what this leica beast is capable of -> http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-summilux-m-75-1-4-t49263.html

or this beast -> http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-noctilux-50mm-f1-t45974.html

or the summilux 35 asph. -> http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-summilux-35-1-4-asph-t38462,start,45.html

im a sucker for smooth silky creamy bokeh and leica usually gives me exactly that. excellent transition from in-focus to oof.

when i want 3d pop i'll pick a zeiss. the transition from in-focus to oof is less gradual with higher micro contrast. talking about smooth silky creamy bokeh, my c/y 35 1.4 and c/y 85 1.4 surely deliver.

I'm technically stupid. I don't care about mtf charts and calculating lpm and whatnot. Just not my style.

Also, I don't like to spend more than a minute or two on post processing. And i don't even have the time. I'm mostly out in some other country/continent. My pp mostly consists of adjusting white balance, auto contrast, sometimes "direct positive" and sometimes some other LightRoom preset.

That's about it really.

If you have the patience, you can do everything you want nowadays with software. You only need a camera and a lens to take the picture. Not even that if you're a photoshop expert.

Did i help with your cashflow problems? Yes i did. If you're broke, there's no need to worry about being low on cash and having to decide between a or b Laughing

If i were you, id save up and buy a good FF body. maybe the M9. maybe whatever new FF EVIL camera. gradually build up your lens collection after. one or two lenses. then just shoot shoot shoot shoot and shoot some more. and avoid the impulse to upgrade to whatever new body just came out cuz it offers you 7 new features out of which you'll probably use 1.

always nice to have a lot of gear to play with but that's a different story

Last edited by Hari on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

thanks mate Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
great shots hari. this is one of my favorite lenses. cv rf's are i think the best rf values. the 28/2, 25/4, 35/2.5, 40/1.4, 15/4.5, 21/4 all winners. i am anxiously awaiting my 15!
tony

Thanks Tony!

the 15/4.5 is a stellar lens! which body are you planning to use it on?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using the bessa t for film and the oly omd for digi...