Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summilux M 75/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to hijack Hari's thread, but since the topic was brought up, I'd just like to express my opinion.

With a thread like "Noctilux" and "Summilux 75/1.4", not a whole lot of people can contribute, so it just becomes like a personal photo gallery for Hari.

But then can I have my own "Hartlbei/Carl Zeiss Super Rotator 80mm f2.8" thread where I dump hundreds of shots I take with that manufal focus lens? What about my own "Canon TS-E 17mm F4L" thread and my "Kodak Aero-Ektar 178 f2.5" thread and my recently acquired "GOI OΦ-233 210mm f2.5" thread? I can also contribute with my "Schneider Xenon 12,5cm f2" thread and "Schneider Xenotar 100mm f2.8" thread.

Can we each have multiple threads like that? That we can use for our personal galleries where we dump hundreds of photos and few if anybody else contributes because it's a rare lens?

Does it *have* to be a rare lens? Why can't someone have a Helios-44-4 58/2 thread? Can we draw a line?

What about crappy photos? Can there be a thread by someone who, frankly, isn't a very good photographer, so he/she constantly dumps hundreds of sheer crap? How can you tell him/her to stop while letting Hari continue his threads?

Where do we draw the line? HOW do we draw the line?

And if we don't draw the line, then how is Mflenses supposed to handle the load of hundreds of people dumping hundreds of thousands of photos for their own personal galleries every year?

I have nothing against Hari. I have taken a look at a lot of his Nocti shots, mostly because I love that lens and I promise myself I'll get one for myself one of these days. But the threads did bother me a bit, in that I'd think "Hey why can't *I* have my personal gallery like that?" but then I'd think "That wouldn't be appropriate…"

But if it were any lesser lens, I think this kind of intervention would've occurred earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawhead, what you say is a valid point and i hafta say I hadn't thought of it this way

But now that you mention it, I'm perfectly ok if we create a "75mm lenses" thread and move my 75mm Heliar shots as well as my 75mm Summilux shots under it

And of course, whoever else (ex: Tony - 75mm Heliar, Pontus - 75mm Summicron) has a 75mm lens/es is welcome to post under the said thread

I don't know what else could be done ... Somebody buy a summilux 75 and start contributing please

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know what else could be done ... Somebody buy a summilux 75 and start contributing please

Smile LOL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is already there:

- MANUAL FOCUS LENSES section is for discussion mainly. Image samples should be posted as support for discussion of a lens.
Of course common sense should be the guide. Up to 20 or so image samples can be useful to the discussion. 200 image samples become redundant
and lower the signal-to-noise ratio in the discussion. I don't need to see 100 image samples of bokeh from a same lens. 10-15 can be enough.

- GALLERY sections are for posting what we can call "artworks". Which does not mean masterpieces in our acceptation.
It simply means photographs where the content (the subject) is more important than the container (the medium - lens or camera)
Again, this is largely left to the common sense of the persons. I could post threads such as "trash cans of 21 December, 2012" or "fences from August 11, 2010".
They may be interesting or may be not. For sure further threads such as "fences from August 12, 2010" are not probably going to achieve much success of interest.

- BEST OF LENSES GALLERY is the section that is dedicated to showcase the best (doh!) from our manual lenses. And guess what?
Common sense must be the guide. If someone is using only a few lenses, is very talented, and takes many photos, is may also be
possible that he posts 200 images that show the best from that lens. Normally, however, that does not happen, and people are
expected to be SELECTIVE. Which means to take a look at their 200 photos and decide which 10 or 20 of them can make it to "the best of" selection.
When you see people that in the "best of lenses" section posts 20 images all taken in the same day and without any evident selection, it's clear that there is a problem.

In a nutshell: we already have the solution and it's called "common sense". Not everyone shows it unfortunately. What to do? Not many choices.
Either to let those people do their things and ignore them, or to censor those people works and become hideous dictators for that.
I am open to suggestions, if someone has good ideas I'll be glad to hear them - privately though, not in this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I confess guilty that I had "started the avalanche", but it was to the common good, at least intended so.
I have nothing against Hari, of course not, as he is a good photographer and is lucky enough to be able to have such nice glass.

So it is right to the point what rawhead and Orio are mentioning, we have to establish some commonly acceptable rules here
(sounds as if I'm German...), that only few exceptionally good images should be in such a thread (even better in the "Best of"
section, expressing special capabilities of such lenses, the other should go into the image galleries.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
and my "Kodak Aero-Ektar 178 f2.5" thread and my recently acquired "GOI OΦ-233 210mm f2.5" thread? I can also contribute with my "Schneider Xenon 12,5cm f2" thread and "Schneider Xenotar 100mm f2.8" thread.

I'd be interested to see samples of all of those, especially the Aero-Ektar and the Xenotar. There is a Xenon 2/12.5 for sale at mwclassic.com now for 399ukp so that one's beyond my reach, but the A-E and Xenotar are possibilities, and be interesting to see how the Xenotar compares to my Xenar 3.5/105.

If you've posted samples already, can you point me to them, if not, can you post some, I'd be most grateful as they would be very informative to me at this point in my own MF/LF journey.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AE Shots I've posted a few already, but here's a pretty good list of them:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=aero-ektar&w=88929764%40N00&s=int

The Xenotar I haven't shot a whole lot with yet, partially because I only recently got a 6x9 back for my Century, and wasn't really inclined shoot with anything less.

Curio by Dr. RawheaD, on Flickr

I will be shooting with that lens a whole lot more in a month or so when this kit starts shipping:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/71185779/duo-a-diy-twin-lens-reflex-camera-for-instant-film

Even though it's for a Mamiya 105mm lens, I'm having the guy do a slightly custom build for me to accept the Xenotar 100/2.8 instead.

Yes, I have TWO of those Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked out this thread, and believe it or not I scrolled through every page. Which likely means I was reasonably well-captivated by the pics. And I honestly wasn't looking simply because the lens is expensive. It's got to be because the glass is that good/unique or his skill. That said, I can see how a series of pics with a more common lens could get away.

I also have to give kudos for some of the street/people pics with a MF lens. I am timid even with AF, leave alone a long-ish manual one.