Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus on lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Väsen wrote:
Hello!

I hope I'm resurrecting a worthwhile cause and not beating a dead horse.

This is a thread to post pictures of fungus cases, but as there have also been a few queries I thought I'd ask too.

Some time ago I got a Jupiter 37A that had lots of little specks covering a whole element, more towards the edges (no strands). After asking around it seemed chances were rather good it was just that, so I gave it to someone, who said he took it apart and "did not see anything with my eyes but noted some strands of fungus when I took it apart" or something to that effect.

I recently got a Volna 9, and it looks quite the same, but it's on a central element and is rather hard to see with your eyes and quite impossible to photograph. Moreover the ratio of specks between the center and the edges is more even than for the Jupiter. However, as it looks mostly like the Jupiter, I'll show a pic of it and ask for people's opinion:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! I think this is trace path of drying, lens cleaning fluid went to inner elements and when it is dried left this small spots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
Attila wrote:
Oh yes, clean only if necessary , it is impact much on images other ways left as is.

I've found a good guy for reasonable price to CLA.

Attila--you think it is better not to clean?

If he is trustworthy experienced guy risk is little , better to clean than left as is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.
I see the img tags work in the preview, and when quoted, but not in the actual post, hmm.
Oh well, your answer gives me hope that the Volna isn't suffering from fungus, so time to take it for a spin while I wait for my desiccant packs to arrive : )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Väsen wrote:
Wow, thanks for the quick reply.
I see the img tags work in the preview, and when quoted, but not in the actual post, hmm.
Oh well, your answer gives me hope that the Volna isn't suffering from fungus, so time to take it for a spin while I wait for my desiccant packs to arrive : )

No image, url in first post , help to keep away spammers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this fungus? It's like a ring around the inside of the front element but with a "knot" as seen in the picture. It looks orange trough the glass and is only see-able in a angle like the photo with a lamp shining about 90 degrees from the other side of the where the camera was (wow, that was a bad explanation). It's a Sigma 28mm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualDarkness wrote:
Is this fungus? It looks orange trough the glass and is only see-able in a angle like the photo with a lamp shining about 90 degrees from the other side of the where the camera was (wow, that was a bad explanation).

That's separation.
It happens when the optical cement that is supposed to keep together two pieces of glass, actually dries out and separate.
The remains of orange colour are the residuals of dried cement.
It is fixable, but only by people who know what they're doing and who have access to optical cement of quality.
I'm afraid that it will cost more than the value of the lens, so my suggestion is to use the lens as is until it's possible,
then, when the image quality degrades too much, to simply buy another lens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
VisualDarkness wrote:
Is this fungus? It looks orange trough the glass and is only see-able in a angle like the photo with a lamp shining about 90 degrees from the other side of the where the camera was (wow, that was a bad explanation).

That's separation.
It happens when the optical cement that is supposed to keep together two pieces of glass, actually dries out and separate.
The remains of orange colour are the residuals of dried cement.
It is fixable, but only by people who know what they're doing and who have access to optical cement of quality.
I'm afraid that it will cost more than the value of the lens, so my suggestion is to use the lens as is until it's possible,
then, when the image quality degrades too much, to simply buy another lens.

Actually I find it to be good news, at least better than fungus as I don't have to worry about it spreading to other equipment. The lens is a bit soft with a small bloom-effect (maybe the separation explains it) but I actually like it. It may not be sharp as other lenses but got its character.

I'm examining all the lenses I've bought so far to get rid of ones I don't like so I will probably post more pics of other cases.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****.....at least better than fungus as I don't have to worry about it spreading to other equipment****

You probably have more fungus/mould spores on your body than on your lens.....over 2000 species, so wear a full chemical suit when handling your lenses Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
****.....at least better than fungus as I don't have to worry about it spreading to other equipment****

You probably have more fungus/mould spores on your body than on your lens.....over 2000 species, so wear a full chemical suit when handling your lenses Wink

I know that, but after reading everything about that you never should store moldy lenses with "clean" ones in the camera bag I got a bit anxious about it. Neutral

Maybe a chemical suit and only use lenses in a sterile environment isn't such a bad idea? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualDarkness wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

I know that, but after reading everything about that you never should store moldy lenses with "clean" ones in the camera bag I got a bit anxious about it. Neutral

Maybe a chemical suit and only use lenses in a sterile environment isn't such a bad idea? Wink

Even Nasa can't keep these nasties out e.g. :-

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast26nov_1/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualDarkness wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Never store any lens in camera bag , this is right expression, store lenses in a safe place , where is humidity is low, without caps to get light throw and in dust free environment. My solution is a transparent plastic box, with huge amount of silica gel or other humidity remover.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this lens on local auction owner said it has glue problem around edges or perhaps fungus, mold Laughing

One of the most extensive fungus what I ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so pronounced that it almost looks artsy! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen this been reported but what about the common antiseptic Betadine 10% solution (povidone-iodine) to cure fungus infections?????
It kills everything from bacteria to fungus in 30 secs...

One plus is that it is not acidic and mild enough to be used in skin .

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am brand new here. I just picked up a canon FD lens, and this is what I am seeing. it is an FD 100-300mm f 5.6 which is the same body as the L model, but minus the more high quality glass I guess since it lacks the L and the red line. I bought this with the intention of using it on a micro 4/3 body for video, but now seeing the stuff I couldn't see at the used shop I am wondering if I am stuck with a lemon. Is this fixable? will it affect the image? is it Mold, or???? Thanks.

By lazydaze at 2012-05-02

By lazydaze at 2012-05-02

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4849/lens1u.jpg

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1254/lens2.jpg

not sure why the images are not showing, is there a minimum post number to post pics

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome me! Yes, new members can't post images -- for spam prevention...

Try the lens! Looks like fungus. Contrast may be affected. Fungus may be seen in bokeh highlights. The lens can be cleaned. Best case will be like new lens! Worst case, fungus has etched glass and/or coatings.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, being that it is a newer FD lens is this something I can tackle on my own with basical tools, or is it better to take to a shop for repair? How much would the tools be vs the shop cost. I am always on a tight budget, but if need be I can save the money to get it done right. Plenty of camera shops around here (tokyo).

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will answer my own question based on what a pro told me yesterday. The old FD lenses are very easy to open up and repair, and the newer ones are very difficult. That being said, I am a glutan for punishment, so can someone please point me to a guide for repairing both the older and newer lenses? I am good with tools, and small parts. Just need to know what tools etc I need, and what I am doing.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Equipment Care and Repairs forum: http://forum.mflenses.com/basic-techniques-to-repair-lenses-and-cameras-t32862.html

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yet another fungus question... Rolling Eyes

I picked up a Soligor C/D 35-200 and just took a closer look at it. I find it hard to capture, but maybe its enough to get an idea.
Do you think this is fungus or rather glue coming off? Its more or less all around the edge unterneath the front element...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Is this fungus? Help, what to do? Reply with quote

I purchased this from ebay (shipped from Poland to Hong Kong, my place) and the overall condition is nice and excellent- however I noticed that there's a super tiny "whiskers-like" along the inner circumference (it's inside the lens body, I can't touch it). My first time to get an M42 lens, Please advice what's the best thing to do. Should I keep it or return it?

(photo taken using Iphone 4S.. it might appear larger on this photo that actual.)
Thanks a lot!

More photos of this lens on my Flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37760334@N08/sets/72157635246832104/
My Youtube video for this lens:
http://youtu.be/ZYvElZg6Uvs

Last edited by onzkiphoto on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:39 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this fungus? Help, what to do? Reply with quote

onzkiphoto wrote:
I purchased this from ebay (shipped from Poland to Hong Kong, my place) and the overall condition is nice and excellent- however I noticed that there's a super tiny "whiskers-like" along the inner circumference (it's inside the lens body, I can't touch it). My first time to get an M42 lens, Please advice what's the best thing to do. Should I keep it or return it?

(photo taken using Iphone 4S.. it might appear larger on this photo that actual.)
Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal amount of dust , keep it not harm anything.