Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus on lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Fungus on lens Reply with quote

I started this thread to inform people how can recognize fungus on lens before buy.
Many seller says they are not familiar with photographic items, but they also say lens in perfect order optically excellent etc.

I'd like if you send here pictures taken from lenses with fungus to learn how can we avoid to pay full payment for a lens with fungus.

Shot with E-1 . at 1969-12-31

Last edited by Attila on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila I think this is an EXCELLENT idea that you had! Idea Idea Idea

I wanted to make this thread sticky but apparently it's not possible to "stick" it after it was published.
Maybe you can find a way around it? (and perhaps add a control to "stick" -and also "unstick"- threads after publishing, which would be useful in many other situations)

What about providing full size pictures?
I will try to contribute with my fungused lenses. I will send you the pictures then you can decide if it's a good example or not.

And maybe you can associate with this thread a tutorial on fugus treatment? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could make to sticky, I suppose 800x600 image size maximum is enough as full size and a crop if it is important. To browse bigger size is inconvenience in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I could make to sticky, I suppose 800x600 image size maximum is enough as full size and a crop if it is important. To browse bigger size is inconvenience in my opinion.

Yes I meant to offer links to full size.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is ok, do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! There are several manifestations of fungus. Maybe we can add different pictures here...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this Fungus? look at the third picture!

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
Is this Fungus? look at the third picture!

90% yes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say. Some pictures are pretty noisy, so they are no good to tell if there is fungus or not. The pic that shows the rear glass also seems to show some fungus, but as I said, I couldn't tell for sure...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says this:
Quote:
VERY VERY SLIGHT HAZE STAIN INNER REAR INNER ELEMENT

Look around the element, the inner metal contacting the lens looks "grainy". I think it must be fungus. The "haze" alone could be oil from the blades or something but I think it's fungus. The seller probably knows exactly what it is, but describing it this way he can say he warned you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: fungus on back lens Nikkor 300mm f4.5 ED Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Attila, this Vivitar looks bad! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol Yes, but not a common lens I was happy to take it even with fungus.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you store a lens with such a fungus infection, Attila?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a separate box with humidity remover.Works fine, there is lenses with lot of fungus like this and with some almost unrecognizable spots they never spread or growing. Humidity is around 35% and box made from clear plastic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great Idea to open this theme. In the last day I bought a lens in a dark second hand shop. So I was not enable to see the lens at full light. Now I think I have my first lens infectec with fungus. I will take some shoots soon here and post it of this about 40 years old lens.

cheers

belba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, belba something like this happened to me as well.
But depending on storage you can stop the fungus from spreading and growing. Attila's way is the optimum. Just keep them well lit and dry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here my fungus case (or not?).

Two pictures oh one of the inner lens of my Meyer Primotar 135/3,5. I think this lens is about 40 years old.
It was hard to take this pictures.

cheers

guido

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet fungus but perhaps on the way... this is looks lens fluid went to inner element. Any kind of dust not good news inside in the lens if lens get enough humid air and dark (typical storage with cups) fungus can growing because dust is there for food. I have many Primotar some of them really dusty inside , but non of them get fungus! I have very clean Nikkor with fungus inside, I guess Japanese lenses have more times fungus than East German lenses have. Perhaps Japanese lenses are made more precisely air can't refresh inside and I saw a pretty idiot practice by Japanese their use glue to fix lenses to each other.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent example of how fungus might not be visible from some angles. You really have to take a close look!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a separate dry box.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a whole colony of fungus might be barely visible if behind a well made multicoating.
When I bought the Distagon 1.4/35 at a used camera fair, I did not notice the fungus - took out, I thought the multicoating had some "leopard spot" perhaps due to uncautious cleaning, or maybe defektive coating. But then at accurate inspection I noticed that the spots were inside the lens not outside, so I realized it could be fungus. I turned on the car's lights (didn't have a torch with me, stupidly), and seen through the lens I could clearly see the fungus. Luckily I could get back and change the lens with another copy that the seller had available.
Attila a very wise guy always has with him the little torch light. Since then, I am also doing the same. I have bought 5 small torch lights and I keep them in various places: the car, the camera bags, my studio.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it is fungus. After I have read this topic, I think my J-9 lens has fungus. I thought fungus is always a grey veil. I have the lense from the rear side with a halogen spot lighting.

Imre Crying or Very sad