Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus on lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes, the gastric juices may kill the fungus, as well as the ammonia/hydrogen peroxide mix (source: Leitz), or an UV lamp ... The cold cream will only remove the molds, but, frankly, don't know up to which level this could work (especially without having a picture of the lens) ...

If i were you, i would offer no more than 10 euros/20 US$, because the fungus may have damaged the coating of the lens (at least, this is my strategy Wink ) ...

Best regards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If fungus not cover central parts should safe buy. Price generally minimum 50% less than without fungus on rare items this is not true.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hello,

Yes, the gastric juices may kill the fungus, as well as the ammonia/hydrogen peroxide mix (source: Leitz), or an UV lamp ... The cold cream will only remove the molds, but, frankly, don't know up to which level this could work (especially without having a picture of the lens) ...

If i were you, i would offer no more than 10 euros/20 US$, because the fungus may have damaged the coating of the lens (at least, this is my strategy Wink ) ...

Best regards

Thank you, very much.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
If fungus not cover central parts should safe buy. Price generally minimum 50% less than without fungus on rare items this is not true.

The fungus cover all the lens (internal and external elements). I thought in buy it to play dissambled it and rearmed again, and so. But very much fungus, excesive.

And the idea of buy it at 5 or 10 dollars, wel. . . . .but sure the seller will ask much money. Can see.

Thanks, Attila, very much

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Attila wrote:

The fungus cover all the lens (internal and external elements). I thought in buy it to play dissambled it and rearmed again, and so. But very much fungus, excesive.

And the idea of buy it at 5 or 10 dollars, wel. . . . .but sure the seller will ask much money. Can see.

Thanks, Attila, very much

Rino.

Don't take this lens, I am pretty sure fungus un-removable in this case lens will not produce good result.

I know international shipping is awful lot to you , how about shipping from neighbour countries like Chile , same lot ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't experience with this. I don't know about markets in near countries. Not ebay similar. It's good idea to look for.

Thanks. Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
I haven't experience with this. I don't know about markets in near countries. Not ebay similar. It's good idea to look for.

Thanks. Regards, Rino.

I thought might be we can get member from neighborhood who can help with relay shipping from Ebay or take lens from their local market.

Hey guys if anybody of you come South America please inform Rhino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AuW!

but the seller was honest and got it damn cheap.
Now lets kill it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not effect picture quality and you can use for many years without cleaning, with cleaning you will remove coating for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Still not effect picture quality and you can use for many years without cleaning, with cleaning you will remove coating for sure.

i can confirm that. no influence on IQ. (yet)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience if you store right (low humidity 30-50%, without caps to get some light ) it will not growing my first lenses came three years before in this condition and still not more fungus there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Attila, a mushroom is going to pop out of that lens any time now Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Oh my God!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

So, what about the danger of spreading the spawns to other lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Attila wrote:

So, what about the danger of spreading the spawns to other lenses?

I think Attila keeps the fungused lenses in a separate box.
However, the spawns are everywhere, already, although not as concentrated as in that lens Wink . They enter your house when you open the windows, or walk in with your coat, or bring a bag inside. And you lenses and cameras collect them when you take them out for shooting outside.
The prevention is to create the conditions for the spawns not to be "triggered" and develop into fungus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing around with a Sigma XQ - 28mm that Alex gave me. Thank you Alex!! After taking out the front element, it had some fungus threads etched on the glass. I found a small sheet of 3M™ Diamond Lapping Film used for terminating fiber optic cables from my IT days. After swirling around the lens a bit, the etched fungus was gone and the glass was clear the coating was still good. The only element I was not able to get at was the two in the rear, fungus grew in between the lenses, you need one of those friction spanners of the right diameter to take the elements apart. Alex, new tool idea??

If I find another fungus ridden lens, I'll try to cold cream method to see if it's better or worse than the 3M Diamond Lapping film.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Pancolar Fungus Reply with quote

Just bought my first Pancolar on ebay, listed as "Lens Body In Used Cosmetic Condition... Slight Fungus Inside Lens On Edges...."

Maybe the large spot in the top photo is not fungus?

Wondering if this will affect IQ? Suggestions on cleaning/UV treating are appreciated.

I paid $48+shipping. Maybe a tad high.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see reflection only on these pictures , serious fungus like spider web and cover all over lenses. If less not impact anything else than re-sell value of lens. Buy a hygrometer (a trustworthy one ) and avoid to store your gear above 60% also store with UV filter on without first cap and even better if no rare cap also. Let light throw on lens and those spots will never grow. Enjoy this great lens instead of worry about cleaning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, thanks! Good to know. I'll post some images when I get the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Fungus Pics Reply with quote

I have pictures of fungus - and the cleaning of it - on three of my german webpages:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/glaspilz.html
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/glaspilz_reinigung.html
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/glaspilz-apo-rodagon-50.html

Most pictures have big images linked, so one can better identify the structures.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Looks like an old flash bulb! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Built in one Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my first manual lens, a CZJ Sonnar 135 and I'm impressed with the image quality, but... it has this little spot on the front element, which I think is fungus.

Can something like this mean potential problems in the future (will the fungus spread)? Around it there's a darker purple area, probably due to someone applied a liquid to that spot or something like that I guess..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fungus, if you store right it will not growing. I believe lens with fungus not infect others, but to be sure I store them separately. This kind of fungi removable easily, but with removal you will remove lens coating also.