Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus on lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Attila.

The lens was clearly opened (it has some marks on the front barrel metal, so I'm guessing someone opened it and applied a solution to the fungus). I'm very satisfied with the lens and overall it's in decent shape (some dust inside), but I still think the seller should have been fair and described this in the listing... I'll try to be more careful in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If seller did not describe it you can ask for partial refund to clean lens. If I made mistake like this I offer to buyer partial refund. If you are satisfied with lens performance leave it as is. Store right and enjoy, don't open.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll leave it. I don't think it's justifiable to make a complaint, since the image quality is unaffected by it (I think). Hopefully it won't spread.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
That is fungus, if you store right it will not growing. I believe lens with fungus not infect others, but to be sure I store them separately. This kind of fungi removable easily, but with removal you will remove lens coating also.

Curious about the cleaning...I'm not asking how to remove fungus...I don't have that issue; rather, if I were to remove elements to clean dust is there a danger of removing the coating and if so how do I clean the inside of elements?

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-cleaning-share-your-methods-tips-and-tricks-t27107.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/take-care-when-cleaning-lens-from-fungus-t6442,highlight,lens+cleaning+fungus.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys!!

first of all -- forget any chemicals when cleaning lens=optics even from fungus ...

You need only 2 things:

1 - 100 per cent cotton cloth very fine, i.e. underpants Smile (it must be clean, of course)
2 - clean water

nothing else..

yours

tf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prevention against fungus has been already described by Attila..

KEEP the HUMIDITY at REASONABLE level --

plastic boxes == the best solution..

from time to time take your lens out. of course..

tf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links...I think I've read them before a few weeks ago. Since I'm new at this MF lens rebuild stuff (I've taken apart about 5 lenses now) and all but one gave me big trouble with the elements.

I use a rocket blower and then if I feel the inside surface needs a wipe I use Eclipse Fluid (not the E2 version) which is methanol I think and pec pads. I had two rokkor 58/1.4's and one cleaned up nicely but the other on the front element (inside) looked like I took a steel wool pad to it. All I used was a pec pad and Eclipse fluid. Maybe that was fungus attack I didn't notice and then I cleaned it away it stripped the coating away???

I guess I want to know if it's safe to wipe either side of a coated lens element with pec pads and eclipse fluid?

-Roy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it's easily
cleanable ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
How do you store a lens with such a fungus infection, Attila?

Separate big plastic transparent box with humidity remove inside it is keep humidity around 40% or less. First lens is 4 years old already with small amount of fungus what I can check. Didn't grow it even if no air ventilation and many fully fungus ed neighbors.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT..

Plastic box = the best prevention ... Nothing compares to plastic box..

Fungus has no chance even grow more.

The cheapest plastic box, the best solution ..

tf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo on fungus infected lens always question where is fungus, if between two glued elements no way to clean at home. To clean a lens immediately same stupid idea than not use lenses because there is some scratch on front or rare element. Small amount of fungi doesn't harm anything than selling price, good cleaning is a serious job... takes time and always risk lens safety.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Teo on fungus infected lens always question where is fungus, if between two glued elements no way to clean at home. To clean a lens immediately same stupid idea than not use lenses because there is some scratch on front or rare element. Small amount of fungi doesn't harm anything than selling price, good cleaning is a serious job... takes time and always risk lens safety.

Thank you , Attila !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I currently own two CZJ Flektogon's. One of them gets a lot of use and the other, (which has sticky aperture blades) doesn't see the light of day very often and resides on the shelf. Despite this I always check on the optics to see if everything is 'Hunky-dory'. However, after cleaning it two weeks ago and not using it since, it seems to have developed some strange marks on the inside of the rear element.

As im unsure of what it is I was wondering if you guys (the more knowledgeable and experienced folk) could tell me what it could be. It doesn't look like the average stringy, spider web like fungus that I often see in pictures, but does appear to look like some kind of unwelcome organism.

Full size picture:

100% crop (ISO 1000)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this thing on some of my lenses, perhaps starter fungus, perhaps not. I can't decide due never get bigger under years. To using this lens not necessary to clean at all. Easy to clean if you don't like it, my suggestion as usual enjoy and use it and check it out at least every 3 months and if you see it is growing, clean it. Perhaps even if you clean it now, glass surface already unrecoverable spotted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Attila! do you know if the rear element is easy to detach? maybe a consideration for the future if it does progress.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Thanks for the response Attila! do you know if the rear element is easy to detach? maybe a consideration for the future if it does progress.

Easy if you have proper tools , spanner wrench as minimum.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Hello everyone, I currently own two CZJ Flektogon's. One of them gets a lot of use and the other, (which has sticky aperture blades) doesn't see the light of day very often and resides on the shelf. Despite this I always check on the optics to see if everything is 'Hunky-dory'. However, after cleaning it two weeks ago and not using it since, it seems to have developed some strange marks on the inside of the rear element.

As im unsure of what it is I was wondering if you guys (the more knowledgeable and experienced folk) could tell me what it could be. It doesn't look like the average stringy, spider web like fungus that I often see in pictures, but does appear to look like some kind of unwelcome organism.

Full size picture:

100% crop (ISO 1000)

That is for sure bacterial growth, not fungal. That lens must have been exposed to some very damp and bacteria-rich conditions at some point.

As I understand things, most lens are not hermetically sealed, yes? If so, then fungal spores and bacteria will be present within the lens all the time. The entire planet is covered by them. It is almost impossible to keep them out. However, by keeping the object (in this case, a lens) in an environment not suited to development requirements of these organisms, then growth of the organisms and degradation of the equipment will not occur.

Such simple organisms like bacteria and fungus need little more than the right heat and plain old water (or just damp air). Plus a food source, be it the dust in the lens, or more likely just proteins within the air floating around the lens to grown exponentially. Hence why they seem to grow around the outside edge of the lens first, which is most likely where the air is coming into the body of the lens.

This is probably why a lot of lenses for sale on ebay etc that have been stored in lofts and other places where the air is cool and damp are particularly prone to an infection growth.

Assuming my own hypothesis is correct, I keep all of my gear in the main central heated part of the house. I've also started collecting the little "Silca Gel" pouches from the IT and electrical equipment that I buy and I store them in and around my camera gear in an attempt to reduce the localised moisture and prevent the onset of any infections.

It appears logical to me. Any thoughts?

Mike Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a big transparent box Mike, put your lenses in with humidity removal chemical.

http://www.henkel-cee.com/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_cee/hs.xsl/1815_2801_CEE_HTML.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. I agree the key is "humidity removal".. removal of spores is probably impossible.

Don't let them grow in the first place!

Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikenco wrote:
... I've also started collecting the little "Silca Gel" pouches from the IT and electrical equipment that I buy and I store them in and around my camera gear in an attempt to reduce the localised moisture and prevent the onset of any infections.

Mike Smile

Silica Gel needs maintenance! Silica Gel has limit how much moisture can be absorbed, then it becomes moisture source. Renew Silica Gel by baking in 120C(250F) oven for half hour, caution no more than 150C(300F) or gel burns releasing toxic gas. Recommend inexpensive humidity gauge to monitor humidity in box. Attila sells a nice one in his ebaY shop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
mikenco wrote:
... I've also started collecting the little "Silca Gel" pouches from the IT and electrical equipment that I buy and I store them in and around my camera gear in an attempt to reduce the localised moisture and prevent the onset of any infections.

Mike Smile

Silica Gel needs maintenance! Silica Gel has limit how much moisture can be absorbed, then it becomes moisture source. Renew Silica Gel by baking in 120C(250F) oven for half hour, caution no more than 150C(300F) or gel burns releasing toxic gas. Recommend inexpensive humidity gauge to monitor humidity in box. Attila sells a nice one in his ebaY shop.

Nice safety tip! thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Kiron (vivitar) 105:

first look, aside from dust, looked good:

but at closer look, the second element (ithink) from the mount:

What is it?

Worth a CLA?

TY sirs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess lens cleaning liquid went to inner element and dry out on this way.
In this case cleanable as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I guess lens cleaning liquid went to inner element and dry out on this way.
In this case cleanable as well.

TY so much---that's a relief.

all the best

Charlie