Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixing a SAMYANG 500mm f8 mirror lens with plenty of fungus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Fixing a SAMYANG 500mm f8 mirror lens with plenty of fungus Reply with quote

My colleague Oscarpentax from the spanish Pentaxeros forum was so kind of sending me that lens, according him in a "terminal status" plenty of fungus, with the hood broken and the rubber ring that covers the focusing ring broken as well.
I told him I would try to fix it, with no commitments.

Got the lens past friday. Even with a daunting optical aspect, the mechanical part was almost fine, smooth focusing, well conserved painting.

First step: to remove the glass that holds the upper mirror. I used the MFLenses wrench

It was hard to move at the beginning, but once unlocked went out easily

Once the ring out, the glass went out alone:

Fungus are watched better over a dark background:

Next is to take the upper mirror out of the glass:

Next, an ultrasonic bath with water and two spoonfuls of bleach during 3'

Once out, wash and dry. The removal of the fungus traces is done with hands cream, very effective.

A fine layer of cream all over the glass. For some 30'. Time to clean the mirrors in the meantime.

Mirrors have very little affectation. A q-tip wet on bleach cleans the small spots without the need of further disassembly. More q-tips to dry and slightly wash and dry the mirrors.

Back to the glass: carefully washing, dry with a soft microfiber pad.

Reversing the disassemble procedure to setup the lens again.

And for the cosmetic part: A leather band replaces the rubber ring over the focusing ring.

That's all folks!
Hope this will be useful to someone else...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this exact same lens in PK. I like it quite a bit -- no fungus, though. That's a very good report on how to clean lens fungus. Some ideas I'd never have thought of. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Jesito!
It looks beautiful with that red leather band. You have a L lens now. Very Happy
Now, that ultrasonic bath is something that I;ve never heard of before. Is it useful in fungus removal? I mean, how the ultrasounds are affecting the fungus?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tamron 500/8 -- the first version -- and I wish it were that easy with mine to remove the secondary mirror. Sadly it isn't. It appears to be cemented to the primary objective.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you had to put a blue rear cap to it too. Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spanien_-_Nationalmannschaft_20091118.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, colleagues.

@David, nice to be of any help Smile

@Himself, ultrasonic waves generate microbubbles at high temperature that make the bleach entering into the smallest parts and in theory killing the fungus. But unfortunately it doesn't remove the traces. Then it's necessary to use the hands cream. Sometimes I do a second bleach Ultrasonic bath after the process.

@Cooltouch, I have also the Tamron 500mm f8 but never tried to disassemble it. It's quite clean and has no fungus at all (by now).
Anyway I'll take a glimpse to it to see if some idea comes to disassembly it.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

@Cooltouch, I have also the Tamron 500mm f8 but never tried to disassemble it. It's quite clean and has no fungus at all (by now).

The Tamron mirror I have (1st version) is very easy to disassemble. Same as yours -- undo the ring with a wide spanner and the whole front group comes out. I didn't do anything with the rear section of the lens.

My problem isn't fungus. The secondary mirror, which appears to be cemented to the primary element (the big piece of glass) is delaminating. And I haven't figured out a way to get to it, short of breaking things.

You can see what I mean here:

That rainbow pattern shouldn't be there and is indicative of delamination.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! that red leather is cool!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jesito !

It's true the red leather is very fine. It reminds of the 60s. Wink

If you add yellow leather, you have the spanish flag !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That high temperature( how high) wouldn't affect the coating or the glue between the lenses, presuming that you use it for a regular lens not mirror?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
That high temperature( how high) wouldn't affect the coating or the glue between the lenses, presuming that you use it for a regular lens not mirror?

No, it's not a problem. High temperature is on the small bubbles and for really short time, the overall media (water, normally) gets only warm.

Not sure how it would affect to the glue between lenses, but I suspect that won't be a problem. Ultrasonic baths take 2-3 minutes only.
This same ultrasonic cube is used to clean watches, coins, CDs, glasses, with no harm at all.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
wow! that red leather is cool!

Yep, too cool. I'm thinking on replacing it by a classical black... Wink

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Thank you Jesito !

It's true the red leather is very fine. It reminds of the 60s. Wink

If you add yellow leather, you have the spanish flag !

Good point Wink

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red leather is hot. Keep it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:
The red leather is hot. Keep it.

I see Laughing

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!

Thanks for taking the time to document your process, and show us just how good the results can be!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent lesson, Jesito!

I suspected that the ultrasonics would be useful. While the bubbles are superheated and literally explode, they are so small they are used on contact lenses with little apparent damage, to remove protein build up.

Very clear exposition.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your excellent instructions!!

I am currently cleaning Hanimex 500mm mirror lens.
I has same construction, but the threads has been glued together. I applied alcohol using cotton buds to dissolve the glue.
I also needed to get between secondary mirror and its lens. It has also been glued together from outside. King alcohol worked again. I used suction cup to pull out the mirror.

There is also fungus on back lens. Havent opened the back.
I am still hesitating to do that.
Seconary mirror is currently drying, so I dont know the results yet...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nipodemus wrote:

I has same construction, but the threads has been glued together. I applied alcohol using cotton buds to dissolve the glue.
I also needed to get between secondary mirror and its lens. It has also been glued together from outside. King alcohol worked again. I used suction cup to pull out the mirror.

Good luck!.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Jesito wrote:

The Tamron mirror I have (1st version) is very easy to disassemble. Same as yours -- undo the ring with a wide spanner and the whole front group comes out. I didn't do anything with the rear section of the lens.

My problem isn't fungus. The secondary mirror, which appears to be cemented to the primary element (the big piece of glass) is delaminating. And I haven't figured out a way to get to it, short of breaking things.

You can see what I mean here:

That rainbow pattern shouldn't be there and is indicative of delamination.

Michael, sorry but I missed this message.
No clues about delamination, probably difficult to fix...
Good luck.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, Scheimpflug and Pat.
Glad you liked it.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Good luck.

Jes.

Hey Jes,

Well, after reading nipodemus's comments, now I'm thinking I might be in luck. He mentioned having to remove the secondary mirror of his lens from another element, and managed to remove it using alcohol. I hadn't even thought to try this. I wonder which will work better? Isopropyl? Denatured ethanol? Or methanol? Or maybe even something with a bit more of a kick. I have some acetone and paint stripper.

I don't know why, but I hadn't really even thought about attacking my problem with chemicals. It's gotta be the way to go, though, or else I'll just break things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Good luck.

Jes.

Hey Jes,

Well, after reading nipodemus's comments, now I'm thinking I might be in luck. He mentioned having to remove the secondary mirror of his lens from another element, and managed to remove it using alcohol. I hadn't even thought to try this. I wonder which will work better? Isopropyl? Denatured ethanol? Or methanol? Or maybe even something with a bit more of a kick. I have some acetone and paint stripper.

I don't know why, but I hadn't really even thought about attacking my problem with chemicals. It's gotta be the way to go, though, or else I'll just break things.

I've used isopropylic alcohol with good results in some cases, but depending on the adhesive, acetone can be an alternative. As far as I know, each adhesive has its own solvent, so it' s matter of trying. Be careful because both of them can dissolve some plastics.
Good luck.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nipodemus wrote:

Hi Nipodemus, I have your same lens and there's some fungus between secondary mirror and a lens in front of it.
If I dissolve the glue between them, how can then I put the two elements back together? I have not much experience.
Would it be enough to stop them by glueing them on the side or back and not directly on the optic surfaces?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leodp wrote:

Hi Nipodemus, I have your same lens and there's some fungus between secondary mirror and a lens in front of it.
If I dissolve the glue between them, how can then I put the two elements back together? I have not much experience.
Would it be enough to stop them by glueing them on the side or back and not directly on the optic surfaces?

I have opened it.
Apart from some irritating glue fixing all rings, which I dissolved with a single drop of acetone (but which started dissolving also the black paint), the secondary mirror block is not glued at all.

Once removed the inner fixing ring the secondary mirror block can be removed from the glass lens.
Then I unscrewed the black disc which is accessible from the top of the objective (exposed to the outside during shooting).

I attach a picture which shows the opened secondary mirror block. From left to right:
The blocking disc, the secondary mirror, the ring (not threaded) separating mirror and lens, the lens, the "cage" for the secondary mirror.

Removing fungus and paint traces was quite easy with Isopropanol and microfiber clothes. No traces or scratches remaining.

[/img]