Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete Helios Lens list anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo, you are right .
It was wrong Information from my side, javascript:emoticon('Embarassed')

Biotar ALU 58mm/f2 , 10 blades,
M39vers. ALU Helios 44 58mm/f2, 13 blades,
M39vers. Black Helios 44 58mm/f2, 8 blades,
M42vers. Black Helios 44-2 58mm/f2, 8 blades.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Helios-44 alu m39 Reply with quote

Hi,

In reply to my previous post and to those who were so kind to answer it, my copy (sn 0001243 - 13 blades) arrived a few days and I love it!!!
Any inputs on manufacturing year, why it is it goes to f22, etc...

Thank you!
David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one nice looking lens! Well done for finding that and with that serial number.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios-44 alu m39 Reply with quote

DavidVT wrote:

Any inputs on manufacturing year, why it is it goes to f22, etc...

I answered your question about aperture on the previous page.
Regarding the manufacturing year it's hard to tell. Officially a production of Helios 44 has started at the late 50s of the 20th century. But this version is not documented at all.
What I don't like about it is an aperture setting mechanism. It is different from all other versions I saw before and not very convenient. I personally didn't manage yet to use it one hand.

Congratulation! Your copy seems to be in a very good cosmetic condition. Mine has several deep scratches on a barrel and fixed small dent on a filter ring.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Helios-44 alu m39 Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers,

Just overlooked the f22 part. Sorry about that. The only weird thing I noticed about the preset diafragm is that you can click the preset into every f-stop, except f22. Is this because of "not really necessary" because it is the smallest f-stop anyway, or just a construction thing because all others only go to f16?

Thanks,
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Helios-44 alu m39 Reply with quote

DavidVT wrote:
The only weird thing I noticed about the preset diafragm is that you can click the preset into every f-stop, except f22. Is this because of "not really necessary" because it is the smallest f-stop anyway, or just a construction thing because all others only go to f16?

Mine is the same. I think there is a mechanical problem to make a slot for f22 - it would be very close to a slot of f16.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Helios 28-70 Reply with quote

Helios 28-70

Saw this lens advertised on ebay but haven't been able to find a single thing about it on the net. Has anybody ever heard of it or got any information on it?

Thanks,
Alan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 28-70 Reply with quote

Allibert24 wrote:
Helios 28-70

Saw this lens advertised on ebay but haven't been able to find a single thing about it on the net. Has anybody ever heard of it or got any information on it?

Thanks,
Alan

This is not the Russian Helios lens. This one and many others are Japanese lenses with the "stolen" name. I strongly believe this thread is only for old Russian lenses although it's name doesn't state it clearly Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Helios 28 - 70 Reply with quote

Thanks Dimitry.

I guess I should have realised when i saw that Helios was written in english and not cyrillic. He advertises it as:

m42 pentax screw thread fitting
GENUINE HELIOS RARE in m42 screw fit
28mm-70mm macro focussing zoom lens
optically world renowned
cosmetically ,optically & MECHANICALLY exellent
f3.5-f4.5

Guess it is best to keep well away as this sounds very dodgy.

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 28 - 70 Reply with quote

Allibert24 wrote:
Thanks Dimitry.

I guess I should have realised when i saw that Helios was written in english and not cyrillic.

Unfortunately this is not an indication. A vast majority of real Helios lenses have their labels written in English. You can find a (probably incomplete) list of Helios and others soviet lenses here: http://www.zenit.istra.ru/catalog/lenseslist.html
It is in Russian so use a translator.

Last edited by dimitrygo on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the helios 28-70 is the same than the zenith 28-70 ?

Both sigma lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, there were some lenses made in Japan, possibly by Sigma, and badged with the 'Helios' name for TOE the Zenit importer in Britain. Certainly 28mm, 35mm, 135mm and some zooms were sold. The 28-70 sounds like one of these, so I suppose it is a 'Helios' but not a Russian one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Helios-44 m39 alu focusing problem Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted a message regarding my "new" helios-44 (m39, alu version, sn 0001243). I was very pleased with it after a few test shots, but when I took it with me on holidays last week, I noticed that is doens't focus to infinity. I focuses to app. 15m, which is fairly close to infinity, but it doesn't not pass beyond that. My 1958 industar-50 (also m39 alu) does focus to infinity no prob, so that rules out my m42-olympus adapter and my m39-m42 adapter, I presume.

Any thoughts on where the problem could lie and if it might be "fixable"?

Thanks a lot,
David

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another version of Helios 44. Not sure though it can be posted here since it seems to be not a consumer version but still...

MC Helios 44-3M:

The lower brighter part on the last picture is a removable macro ring, this is how this lens was used in some sort of military equipment.

There is only one aperture ring and it doesn't have distinct positions for each stop. No preset and no A/M switch. The focus ring shows 1.5 m as a minimal distance but it turns "down" to a usual 0.5m like all other Helioses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Helios 44M-4 from KMZ Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought a 44M-4 from KMZ. This one is not in the list on the first page since it is not marked MC.

I also have my fathers old Helios 44 alu-version from KMZ in M39 mount. It has a low serial number 0087122. I can perhaps post some comparison shots some day.... Of course the 13-blade iris is nicer on the old one, but the newer is hopefully sharper.
Unfortunately I can't get infinity focus on the old one, perhaps 20 meters or so is the max. Perhaps you guys have some trick to extend the infinity focus relatively easy!?

FYI, I also found a Jupiter 9 in dads old photo bag Smile

/T

Last edited by torbod on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helios 44-3m was a consumer version but was not produced in high numbers. The removable block allows the lens to be used primarily as a macro lens on bellows or as an enlarger lens. It was just designed to a multi-purpose lens.

I beseech you David, do not 'fix' the lens to make it work on your digital. The problem is that the register distance is less than typical m42 lenses. You have an uncommon version there and someone before you took great care of it. Buy a more typical, and much more plentiful 44-2, and the focus should be ok on that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comparison shots, non scientific, but some may find it interesting perhaps.

The lenses:

Helios 44 early 39mm ALU version KMZ
Helios 44M-4 KMZ
For comparison:
Super Takumar first version 50 1.4
SMC Takumar 55 1.8

Helios 44 @ 2

Helios 44M-4 @ 2

Super Tak 50 1.4 (fist version) @ 2

SMC Takumar 55 1.8 @ 1.8

Helios 44 @ 2.8

Helios 44M-4 @ 2.8

Super Tak 50 1.4 (fist version) @ 2.8

SMC Takumar 55 1.8 @ 2.8

/T

Last edited by torbod on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bright light on samples. Did you perhaps forget to close aperture in second two Helios samples - circles have the same shape.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. When I look through the images from the hard drive in the picture browser I can see how they differ. The "web browser way" is not that good perhaps to show differences.

Anyway, the old 44 has a 13 blade aperture and don't differ that much when stopping down.
The 44M-4 has only 6 blades that starts to show after 2.8. In this set the bokeh is round and smooth at 2.8. Perhaps the images are too small to study.

I have some other samples that might be better for comparison, where 2.8 is showing some irregularity in the 44M-4.

/T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
The helios 44-3m was a consumer version but was not produced in high numbers. The removable block allows the lens to be used primarily as a macro lens on bellows or as an enlarger lens. It was just designed to a multi-purpose lens.

Can you please share your source of this information?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: second set of bokeh Reply with quote

Hi again,

Here is another set, now only with Helios 44 and 44M-4.
Boring subject, but I took what I had...

Funny I have held the camera tilted on each image, amateur...

44 @ 2

44M-4 @ 2

44 @ 2.8

44M-4 @ 2.8

44 @ 4

44M-4 @ 4

The exposures differs slightly and of course the tilt and angle, all is hand held shots. Should not be of importance for bokeh comparisons.

/T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 13 blades alu has very cool bokeh. I guess if one finds correctly calibrated sample it's nice alternative to Biotar. If handheld lens then my compliments to your photos.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
That 13 blades alu has very cool bokeh. I guess if one finds correctly calibrated sample it's nice alternative to Biotar. If handheld lens then my compliments to your photos.

Well, thank you. All I ever shoot is hand held. I don't have a proper tripod (yet). But that's why I like sharp fast lenses (although I have too few of course).

I really like the old one. It has one drawback though, I cannot get infinity focus with it. And the rings are rather flimsy since my father backed over it with the car(!!!) in the early eighties. But optically it is undamaged, cudos to KMZ for a solid build.

The 44M-4 has a very solid feel and a super smooth focus ring. I wonder if it is possible to switch aperture blades with the old one!?

/T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you held the lens to your camera but anyway good photos.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I thought you held the lens to your camera but anyway good photos.

Ahh, ok.

I have tried that too, but obviously with varying result Smile

I have found a good m39 to M42 adapter that doesn't affect focus distance so I can mount the M29 lens in my M42 adapter on the DSLR.