Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete Helios Lens list anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the helios 28-70 is the same than the zenith 28-70 ?

Both sigma lenses?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, there were some lenses made in Japan, possibly by Sigma, and badged with the 'Helios' name for TOE the Zenit importer in Britain. Certainly 28mm, 35mm, 135mm and some zooms were sold. The 28-70 sounds like one of these, so I suppose it is a 'Helios' but not a Russian one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Helios-44 m39 alu focusing problem Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted a message regarding my "new" helios-44 (m39, alu version, sn 0001243). I was very pleased with it after a few test shots, but when I took it with me on holidays last week, I noticed that is doens't focus to infinity. I focuses to app. 15m, which is fairly close to infinity, but it doesn't not pass beyond that. My 1958 industar-50 (also m39 alu) does focus to infinity no prob, so that rules out my m42-olympus adapter and my m39-m42 adapter, I presume.

Any thoughts on where the problem could lie and if it might be "fixable"?

Thanks a lot,
David

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another version of Helios 44. Not sure though it can be posted here since it seems to be not a consumer version but still...

MC Helios 44-3M:

The lower brighter part on the last picture is a removable macro ring, this is how this lens was used in some sort of military equipment.

There is only one aperture ring and it doesn't have distinct positions for each stop. No preset and no A/M switch. The focus ring shows 1.5 m as a minimal distance but it turns "down" to a usual 0.5m like all other Helioses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Helios 44M-4 from KMZ Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought a 44M-4 from KMZ. This one is not in the list on the first page since it is not marked MC.

I also have my fathers old Helios 44 alu-version from KMZ in M39 mount. It has a low serial number 0087122. I can perhaps post some comparison shots some day.... Of course the 13-blade iris is nicer on the old one, but the newer is hopefully sharper.
Unfortunately I can't get infinity focus on the old one, perhaps 20 meters or so is the max. Perhaps you guys have some trick to extend the infinity focus relatively easy!?

FYI, I also found a Jupiter 9 in dads old photo bag Smile

/T

Last edited by torbod on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helios 44-3m was a consumer version but was not produced in high numbers. The removable block allows the lens to be used primarily as a macro lens on bellows or as an enlarger lens. It was just designed to a multi-purpose lens.

I beseech you David, do not 'fix' the lens to make it work on your digital. The problem is that the register distance is less than typical m42 lenses. You have an uncommon version there and someone before you took great care of it. Buy a more typical, and much more plentiful 44-2, and the focus should be ok on that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comparison shots, non scientific, but some may find it interesting perhaps.

The lenses:

Helios 44 early 39mm ALU version KMZ
Helios 44M-4 KMZ
For comparison:
Super Takumar first version 50 1.4
SMC Takumar 55 1.8

Helios 44 @ 2

Helios 44M-4 @ 2

Super Tak 50 1.4 (fist version) @ 2

SMC Takumar 55 1.8 @ 1.8

Helios 44 @ 2.8

Helios 44M-4 @ 2.8

Super Tak 50 1.4 (fist version) @ 2.8

SMC Takumar 55 1.8 @ 2.8

/T

Last edited by torbod on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bright light on samples. Did you perhaps forget to close aperture in second two Helios samples - circles have the same shape.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. When I look through the images from the hard drive in the picture browser I can see how they differ. The "web browser way" is not that good perhaps to show differences.

Anyway, the old 44 has a 13 blade aperture and don't differ that much when stopping down.
The 44M-4 has only 6 blades that starts to show after 2.8. In this set the bokeh is round and smooth at 2.8. Perhaps the images are too small to study.

I have some other samples that might be better for comparison, where 2.8 is showing some irregularity in the 44M-4.

/T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
The helios 44-3m was a consumer version but was not produced in high numbers. The removable block allows the lens to be used primarily as a macro lens on bellows or as an enlarger lens. It was just designed to a multi-purpose lens.

Can you please share your source of this information?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: second set of bokeh Reply with quote

Hi again,

Here is another set, now only with Helios 44 and 44M-4.
Boring subject, but I took what I had...

Funny I have held the camera tilted on each image, amateur...

44 @ 2

44M-4 @ 2

44 @ 2.8

44M-4 @ 2.8

44 @ 4

44M-4 @ 4

The exposures differs slightly and of course the tilt and angle, all is hand held shots. Should not be of importance for bokeh comparisons.

/T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 13 blades alu has very cool bokeh. I guess if one finds correctly calibrated sample it's nice alternative to Biotar. If handheld lens then my compliments to your photos.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
That 13 blades alu has very cool bokeh. I guess if one finds correctly calibrated sample it's nice alternative to Biotar. If handheld lens then my compliments to your photos.

Well, thank you. All I ever shoot is hand held. I don't have a proper tripod (yet). But that's why I like sharp fast lenses (although I have too few of course).

I really like the old one. It has one drawback though, I cannot get infinity focus with it. And the rings are rather flimsy since my father backed over it with the car(!!!) in the early eighties. But optically it is undamaged, cudos to KMZ for a solid build.

The 44M-4 has a very solid feel and a super smooth focus ring. I wonder if it is possible to switch aperture blades with the old one!?

/T

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you held the lens to your camera but anyway good photos.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I thought you held the lens to your camera but anyway good photos.

Ahh, ok.

I have tried that too, but obviously with varying result Smile

I have found a good m39 to M42 adapter that doesn't affect focus distance so I can mount the M29 lens in my M42 adapter on the DSLR.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
It works for me on Zenit, but not on Praktica. I didn't try take the lens to parts and assemble it in a different way, but dismounting the focusing ring and reducing its height on a turning-lathe should be the easiest way how to "fix" it...

Or 1mm pad, if you don't mind lack of infinity focus...

Hi Guys,

I'm still new to the world of DSLR's and M42 adaptors and whatnots so please bear with me

I have a 44-3 and I ran into this exact problem. I finally managed to unscrew the lens from the adaptor resulting in two heavily bleeding fingers.

So I bought another 44-3. Which also has the same problem.

Add one more heavily bleeding finger.

Now that I've read this post, I'm waiting for one from the 90's and I hope the problem will be resolved (though i do remember reading somewhere that it doesn't really have much to do with the production year)

Question : what is a 1mm pad / what does it look like and where can I get one?

Many Thanks,
Hari

p.s. - In a month I managed to add to my Russian collection (all M42's) the 44, 44-2 (some black versions + silver), 44-3, 44M (two different versions), 44M-4, 44-5, 44M-6, 44-7 MC, 44-2 that looks like the 44-3, 44K-4 MC and the 81N + Tair 11A (silver) + Jupiter 37A + Jupiter-21M + Zenitar M2 MC + Industar 50-2 - will post pix soon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Pix Reply with quote

Namasté,

I don't want to bore you all with 500 pix of the lenses so I took one shot with as much detail as possible.

Quite a few lenses are still on the way and I will post another pic when they get reach my greedy paws Very Happy

Do note the 2 different 44M versions in the picture. With all these variations, is it ever possible to have a comprehensive Helios-44 list?

http://picasaweb.google.com/subramanyam.hari/DropBox#5436245856828884290

This is a link to my dropbox and has free public access so feel free to take a look around

Question - I acquired a Tair-11-2 in excellent condition externally. Internally, someone carved its guts out. Any suggestions if this can be fixed? I'm a total newbie to this side of life. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://picasaweb.google.com/subramanyam.hari/DropBox#5436245858453571842

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_XcopgnoxCy0/S3Fs24CrUvI/AAAAAAAABDU/pSgsEZTjPLQ/s800/DSC_9347.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/subramanyam.hari/DropBox#5436245870573670178

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_XcopgnoxCy0/S3Fs1vqS0wI/AAAAAAAABDA/7uVTPbM_uss/s800/DSC_9342.JPG

Many Thanks for your expert help,
Hari

p.s. Is it better if I link to my pictures or is it the norm to upload pix onto this server?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44M was manufactured by KMZ and JOV. There's also 44M MC, which is quite rare and which was probably manufactured only by KMZ.

= 3 models of 44M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pix Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
Namasté,

You have Helios 44M-5 Non-MC version? Never heard about it, interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
There's also 44M MC, which is quite rare and which was probably manufactured only by KMZ.

Did you ever see this version apart from this thread where I have posted it Smile ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I can't remeber. I have a mention of this model in my personal list of Helios models, but I didn't note where I saw it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pix Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Hari wrote:
Namasté,

You have Helios 44M-5 Non-MC version? Never heard about it, interesting.

Good to know! Thanks for the info dimitrygo!

Nice payoff for all that time and money I invested last month!

no-X : Thanks for the Helios list you posted, its been my definitive guide so far. You say you have a personal list, could you kindly share that knowledge too? Looks like you have invested an insane amount of time on Helios!

Could anybody help with my broken Tair? any advice?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update the posted list according to my personal list from time to time Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
I really like the old one. It has one drawback though, I cannot get infinity focus with it. And the rings are rather flimsy since my father backed over it with the car(!!!) in the early eighties. But optically it is undamaged, cudos to KMZ for a solid build.

A bit of a late reply, but I just rescued my Helios 44M from the back of the drawer (I have a 44M-6 and the old 44M has never been used) and started reading a bit about it. Did you try unscrewing the optical group, and checking for shims underneath? The Helios 44 (at least the M) is very similar in construction to the Jupiter-9, and usually lenses got calibrated with shims (simple aluminum or brass rings) that moved the optical group forward. My Jupiter-9 has two, my Helios 44M none, but it could well have had one or two. On the J-9 and $$m the whole optical group unscrews from the focusing assembly with your hands, it's probably the same in the 44.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
torbod wrote:

A bit of a late reply, but I just rescued my Helios 44M from the back of the drawer (I have a 44M-6 and the old 44M has never been used) and started reading a bit about it. Did you try unscrewing the optical group, and checking for shims underneath? The Helios 44 (at least the M) is very similar in construction to the Jupiter-9, and usually lenses got calibrated with shims (simple aluminum or brass rings) that moved the optical group forward. My Jupiter-9 has two, my Helios 44M none, but it could well have had one or two. On the J-9 and $$m the whole optical group unscrews from the focusing assembly with your hands, it's probably the same in the 44.

Thanx for the reply. Shall I start attacking the lens from the front or back to unscrew the optical group? I have only taken Takumars apart so far, so I'm a rookie on this one.