Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete Helios Lens list anyone?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios-44 m39 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I strongly beleive you did hit a jackpot, low serial number means this is possible made by right after wwii by Zeiss people on Zeiss machines from Zeiss material. I have similar experience with my early Helios-40 85mm f1.5 better than any other later revision including Helios 40-2 copies what I did test. I look forward your samples!

May be. I just thought it is a good collectible but if it is also capable to take good pictures, it will be very nice.

BTW does a register difference of 0.3 mm (comparing to M42 lenses) require some shaving of the lens/adapter? Or the lens can be used as is?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackpot indeed! Great lens and hopefully an outstanding copy. How on earth did you find one so cheaply?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Jackpot indeed! Great lens and hopefully an outstanding copy. How on earth did you find one so cheaply?

Cheaply? Well, may be, I have ho idea how much it should cost. But first of all let me get it and see if it costs at least the amount I payed - purchasing such vintage stuff on auctions always involves some risk. I am not a collector and normally I wouldn't pay too much for such lenses. This is a reason why I don't buy an original Biotar, for example.

To the question how did I find it - learn Russian Smile and you also will be able to search on their auction sites (very similar to ebay). This is what I did. Although in most cases their prices of old Russian lenses are very similar to ebay, there are still some chances you can find a bargain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Cheaply? Well, may be, I have ho idea how much it should cost. But first of all let me get it and see if it costs at least the amount I payed - purchasing such vintage stuff on auctions always involves some risk. I am not a collector and normally I wouldn't pay too much for such lenses. This is a reason why I don't buy an original Biotar, for example.

To the question how did I find it - learn Russian Smile and you also will be able to search on their auction sites (very similar to ebay). This is what I did. Although in most cases their prices of old Russian lenses are very similar to ebay, there are still some chances you can find a bargain.

This lens go on Ebay very cheaply for a few bucks only if you find one. I bough mines in local shop for next to nothing. 10-20 USD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

This lens go on Ebay very cheaply for a few bucks only if you find one. I bough mines in local shop for next to nothing. 10-20 USD.

This is what I payed plus shipping and adapter. But I see that even a pretty ordinary black Helios 44-2 goes for the same price and this is a bit surprising me.

Also please decide finally: one says it is cheap, another says it is expensive Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Attila wrote:

This is what I payed plus shipping and adapter. But I see that even a pretty ordinary black Helios 44-2 goes for the same price and this is a bit surprising me.

Also please decide finally: one says it is cheap, another says it is expensive Smile

Yes,it is pretty nasty from those people who own 1000 USD value camera bodies and they say 100 USD is expensive for a great MF lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Few bucks, ha?
Click here to see on Ebay And this is even not the earlier version I bought.

Last edited by dimitrygo on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard 44 in all varieties is cheap, but finding one with 3 zeros usually commands more of a price.

I've not been able to get one with 2 zeros so far.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Standard 44 in all varieties is cheap, but finding one with 3 zeros usually commands more of a price.

Look at the link I gave - s/n 0098392.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Look at the link I gave - s/n 0098392.

Link doesn't work here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am still unconvinced about the serial numbers. This may be an virtual myth.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
And I am still unconvinced about the serial numbers. This may be an virtual myth.

Sorry, fixed, try again. I also don't believe this "number theory". I bought mine because I know it is very early model, not because of 3 zeroes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be usefull for all of us to see the diff. between Biotar and Helios with diff.Version.
Personally I prefer ALU Version M39.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

How much would you reckon, a 3 zero serial one, to be worth? I happen to have got pretty lucky on a bargain as my other topic displays.

http://forum.mflenses.com/found-a-helios-44-2-what-version-is-this-t21027.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

convert1 wrote:
It might be usefull for all of us to see the diff. between Biotar and Helios with diff.Version.

Are you sure they have 9 blades and not 8?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo, you are right .
It was wrong Information from my side, javascript:emoticon('Embarassed')

Biotar ALU 58mm/f2 , 10 blades,
M39vers. ALU Helios 44 58mm/f2, 13 blades,
M39vers. Black Helios 44 58mm/f2, 8 blades,
M42vers. Black Helios 44-2 58mm/f2, 8 blades.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Helios-44 alu m39 Reply with quote

Hi,

In reply to my previous post and to those who were so kind to answer it, my copy (sn 0001243 - 13 blades) arrived a few days and I love it!!!
Any inputs on manufacturing year, why it is it goes to f22, etc...

Thank you!
David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one nice looking lens! Well done for finding that and with that serial number.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios-44 alu m39 Reply with quote

DavidVT wrote:

Any inputs on manufacturing year, why it is it goes to f22, etc...

I answered your question about aperture on the previous page.
Regarding the manufacturing year it's hard to tell. Officially a production of Helios 44 has started at the late 50s of the 20th century. But this version is not documented at all.
What I don't like about it is an aperture setting mechanism. It is different from all other versions I saw before and not very convenient. I personally didn't manage yet to use it one hand.

Congratulation! Your copy seems to be in a very good cosmetic condition. Mine has several deep scratches on a barrel and fixed small dent on a filter ring.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Helios-44 alu m39 Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers,

Just overlooked the f22 part. Sorry about that. The only weird thing I noticed about the preset diafragm is that you can click the preset into every f-stop, except f22. Is this because of "not really necessary" because it is the smallest f-stop anyway, or just a construction thing because all others only go to f16?

Thanks,
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Helios-44 alu m39 Reply with quote

DavidVT wrote:
The only weird thing I noticed about the preset diafragm is that you can click the preset into every f-stop, except f22. Is this because of "not really necessary" because it is the smallest f-stop anyway, or just a construction thing because all others only go to f16?

Mine is the same. I think there is a mechanical problem to make a slot for f22 - it would be very close to a slot of f16.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Helios 28-70 Reply with quote

Helios 28-70

Saw this lens advertised on ebay but haven't been able to find a single thing about it on the net. Has anybody ever heard of it or got any information on it?

Thanks,
Alan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 28-70 Reply with quote

Allibert24 wrote:
Helios 28-70

Saw this lens advertised on ebay but haven't been able to find a single thing about it on the net. Has anybody ever heard of it or got any information on it?

Thanks,
Alan

This is not the Russian Helios lens. This one and many others are Japanese lenses with the "stolen" name. I strongly believe this thread is only for old Russian lenses although it's name doesn't state it clearly Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Helios 28 - 70 Reply with quote

Thanks Dimitry.

I guess I should have realised when i saw that Helios was written in english and not cyrillic. He advertises it as:

m42 pentax screw thread fitting
GENUINE HELIOS RARE in m42 screw fit
28mm-70mm macro focussing zoom lens
optically world renowned
cosmetically ,optically & MECHANICALLY exellent
f3.5-f4.5

Guess it is best to keep well away as this sounds very dodgy.

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Helios 28 - 70 Reply with quote

Allibert24 wrote:
Thanks Dimitry.

I guess I should have realised when i saw that Helios was written in english and not cyrillic.

Unfortunately this is not an indication. A vast majority of real Helios lenses have their labels written in English. You can find a (probably incomplete) list of Helios and others soviet lenses here: http://www.zenit.istra.ru/catalog/lenseslist.html
It is in Russian so use a translator.

Last edited by dimitrygo on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total